Opinion No Excuses

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got this
Got a great relaxed feeling
Not cocky like Geelong fans, not arrogant like Tigers and Hawks, just feels like it’s ours.
Felt the same before Giants game and before the prelim.
Our side is young fast and amazing. Bucks has it all coming together at the right time.
No stress here, enjoying the build up and looking fwd to the win
We’ve got this

Exactly how I feel Mobbsy.

Not sure how I will be tomorrow. I think I went through 15 rolls of toilet paper last Friday.

Our team has a very Zen feel about it.........doesn’t mean I will sleep tonight. :eek:

I am not say we will DEFINTALLY be back in the GF but with the Age Profile you think we be a Threat for the Flag in the Short/Medium Term
You would hope so, but if we’d bombed out in straight sets would you be as bullish? There’s a lot of confirmation bias and a lot of football to play.

You better be still in Switzerland? :)
We haven’t won a game while I’m here either :(

This is the 1st Game All Season I been this Nervous about.

The Rest I been very Calm about them

Come on Dave we really don’t believe that.

Enjoy the ride mate because tomorrow is all out of our control.

We have had plenty of legitimate excuses over the past 2-3 years as to why we havent made finals. Winning a premiership is a combination of a lot of things, and timing and luck are part of the equation.

Getting some players back over the last 4-6 weeks and no new injuries after suffering some carnage during the year really leaves us perfectly placed. West Coast are a quality side and wont be easy to beat but we are as well placed as we could possibly be. So yes, no excuses. If we dont win its because we are not good enough.

If our midfield dominate like they should, we will win.

Depends which Team turns up. The one from QF or the PF One.

Even IF we lose our Window has pretty much Opened
TD I think the team has turned up to all finals games including the 1 in Perth,apart from the Hawthorn game we have turned up to play every time this season.While we have not won them all I have been very happy with the effort in all games bar the 1st one.
We will turned up tomorrow and it take a red hot Eagles to beat us I think we will have redemption for both losses tomorrow the same as Richmond last week.

This is our best shot. Don't get caught up in the possibilities of next year. So many teams on the rise. Eagles are a good side but no Geelong circa 2007-11 or Brisbane 2001-4. Even saints 2010 were better imo. They have legit super stars but an average tail. They unfortunately match up well in their forward line and expose our only weaknesses but If we play like we did against tigers it's ours.

Our defensive match ups only become a problem if the midfield don’t get on top.

If the midfield wins their battle, Kennedy, Darling et al become a non-factor

I think the same is true for our forward line as well. If the mids dont get on top we will rely too much on De Goey. If the ball comes in quickly, thats perfect for Stevo, Will.I.Am Hoskin-Elliott and Cox.

I think the same is true for our forward line as well. If the mids dont get on top we will rely too much on De Goey. If the ball comes in quickly, thats perfect for Stevo, Will.I.Am Hoskin-Elliott and Cox.
If our mids get on top then I hope we leave De Goey up forward the whole game but if they’re not I hope we’re not afraid to throw him in the guts for a bit.

This is our best shot. Don't get caught up in the possibilities of next year. So many teams on the rise. Eagles are a good side but no Geelong circa 2007-11 or Brisbane 2001-4. Even saints 2010 were better imo. They have legit super stars but an average tail. They unfortunately match up well in their forward line and expose our only weaknesses but If we play like we did against tigers it's ours.

Very good point. No disrespect intended, but the Eagles have less star players than we do, regardless of whether they get any media time in Melbourne or not. This was coming from the "experts" on the Couch as well. David King a notable absentee, obviously :D

I still reckon the win against Richmond on Friday night far exceeded the feeling I got from the Preliminary Final in 2010 against Geelong, and Brisbane in the 2003 Qualifying Final.

I will come out and say it. Richmond should have won the lot. Only they know how they stuffed it up.

My only worry is the west coast was possibly the WORST team we could come up against.

All of their strengths hit our weaknesses.

My worry is I can't predict this match. I can see the case of us killing them. I can see the case of them smashing us. I can see the different game styles having moments on top and it being close.

I just don't know what will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not daring to hope right now but the one thing this team has in its favour is that no excuses might be a good slogan for what they have achieved this year. The team on paper was so different from what it would have been start of the season to now. They have proved they turn up to play pretty much every game this year and even the last performance against the Eagles was a hint of what has become. We are capable of winning and I believe we will give it a red hot go.

Leave left at home alone - no pun intended. He readily admits he would not win a spelling bee, so why not gloss over the slight flaw and just acknowledge the post.
I already said that I thought how could auto correct do that

I would never intentially attack another posters spelling.

I apologise to left at home

Been quietly confident for a long time (after about round 8) that this club is good enough this year to go all the way.
We just need to capitalize on our opportunity, bring it tomorrow boys and the cup is ours.

I never expected to be in a grand final, so this is all a bit of a surprise. A win would bring a massive boost to my personal morale, particularly coming as it would from left field and against all reasonable odds. It's strange how ingrained a football team can become in your life, and how its success or failure can at times mirror or inspire your mindset and attitude.

I was walking a dog near Burnley Park this morning, when I heard the Collingwood club song blasting its way down the road. It was a guy in a car wearing a Collingwood scarf with his windows down and his sound system turned up full bore. Leaning casually but arrogantly back in his seat, cruising at an unhurried pace down peaceful backstreets, this supporter was making a very deliberate, ballsy sort of statement. Richmond is very much a stronghold of Tiger supporters. During the finals, many houses and apartments there had black and yellow banners, flags and scarves draped in their windows and on their verandas and balconies.

To lose would be devastating. Losing a grand final has a special significance of its own. Little wonder that Buckley stuffed in his pocket the Norm Smith medal he won in a losing team in 2002. "I think it's the cruellest twist you can ever cop, I reckon' he said. 'To be captain of a losing side in a grand final is a shocking feeling'.

Many posters boast of how far the team has come this year, saying that we have already over-achieved and everything that has happened is a bonus given our 13th spot finish last year. To some extent this is of course true. But now we have come this far, there is only one satisfactory conclusion to the final contest - a win. Anything less is unacceptable and an anti-climax.

Players reveal their true essence in grand finals and their reputations are made or broken. Nathan Brown always held my respect because of his GF games on Nick Riewoldt. Heath Shaw will be ever revered for his librarian-like rundown of the same player's kick on goal. Steele Sidebottom and Daisy Thomas were largely drafted by us because they stepped up a level in the biggest game. Grand finals are for the purists of the game, those who truly appreciate the combination of ability and performance under the ultimate pressure.

So for the sake of supporters, but more so the players who will most appreciate the difference between winning and losing, I hope that the dream becomes reality. We do not want to be the vanquished team forced to witness the celebrations of our rival. We need to be the winners.

Last edited:
It's strange how ingrained a football team can become in your life,
Yeah it’s funny, I’m going to a music festival in Sydney tomorrow called listen out and if we lose it will ruin my whole day, I want enjoy the festival and if we win I’ll be on a natural high and have the best day of my life.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s funny, I’m going to a music festival in Sydney tomorrow called listen out and if we lose it will ruin my whole day, I want enjoy the festival and if we win I’ll be on a natural high and have the best day of my life.
It must be a trifle strange supporting Collingwood from a rugby city with two AFL teams of your own that you choose not to follow. You are originally from Melbourne, I assume?

It must be a trifle strange supporting Collingwood from a rugby city with two AFL teams of your own that you choose not to follow. You are originally from Melbourne, I assume?

I’m from Canberra and live there I just made the trip up to Sydney for the music festival. When my Nonno and his dad moved from Italy to Australia they landed in Melbourne so that’s why my family has an AFL background. My My Nonno decided to go for Melbourne because that was the name of the city and my brother decided to go for them as well (poor bastards)

I go for Collingwood because my dad goes for them. He goes them for them because his older brother goes for them, I don’t know why he goes for them but overall I’m happy with my choice. The Italian background and black and white colours is also why my dad and I go for Juventus as well.

I did live an small town in country NDW for a while and it was tough being an afl fab there but Canberra is quite diverse in sporting tastes so whilst I don’t get the full Melbourne/Victoria experience it’s still ok.

Sometime I get jealous of you Melbourne based Collingwood supporters watching games regularly “choosing” to watch the game at home brocade of reasons and training reports and those thi gs but overall despite my complaints on BigFooty I’m overalls enjoyed my experience being a Collingwood supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion No Excuses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back