NO JOLLY? :(

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Jolly was suspect before the season even started,Lucky the pies thought so too.That's why we recruited Ben Hudson.He is more resiliant and more bullocking that Jolly.Just the sort of aggresive ruckman we need.Witts although will be good cannot be number one option at pie land yet.Perfect backup and will just get better .But Hudson is the one to get us going.Wrap up jolly in cotton wool now like geelong did with Ottens and unleash a fit jolly second half of year.

Unleash Hudson now!

No Jolly? No worries

images

Witts had a great VFL game, and Hudson was also very serviceable. I think we could bring either in comfortably. Only problem is that our opponent played without a ruckman so it did make the job much easier for Witts. But at least he went forward and kicked goals. That's important.

I think Hudson is ahead...it is just a matter if Bucks wants to expose Witts yet or give him a chance to ruck solo in the VFL while Hudson plays AFL.

Hudson for me next week too.

But earmarking Witts against the Tigers could be ideal if Witts goes alright again this weekend.
Maric 200cm 102kg vs Witts 208cm 113kg.

Thank goodness for Hudson being elevated. I think we should be okay. Hudson is a recognised ruck man, and apparently so is Lynch after the weekend.

Witts had a great VFL game, and Hudson was also very serviceable. I think we could bring either in comfortably. Only problem is that our opponent played without a ruckman so it did make the job much easier for Witts. But at least he went forward and kicked goals. That's important.

I think Hudson is ahead...it is just a matter if Bucks wants to expose Witts yet or give him a chance to ruck solo in the VFL while Hudson plays AFL.
Looking at Witts on Saturday he is coming along nicely, but his size belies the fact that he is still a kid and his body is not properly developed, so he gets knocked off his feet a bit easily. I would play Hudson and protect Witts from the next few teams we meet, although he would be ok against Geelong.

Yes the drafting of Hudson was inspired, but so was the drafting of Lynch. How far up shite creek would have we been yesterday if we were still relying on Dawes?

Throw Witts in the deep end, it's the perfect time to do it. Up against Bailey/Hale who aren't the most imposing ruckmen going around, and also the fact that Witts' confidence will be sky-high after a sensational VFL effort.

If anything he will put his body in and has adequate support in Lynch.

VFL watchers, how was Witts on the weekend?

Who was playing #1 ruck, Witts or Huddo? You would think in terms of development we would be playing Witts as #1 ruck in the VFL regardless of who is the better fit...?

but who looked to be having more impact as a ruck?

I'd have thought Huddo a certainty this weekend, unless Witts was good vs Ballarat.

Hudson will need to play to add some grunt and body size to the contest. With a likely ruck line up of Bailey, Hale and Roughead pinch hitting we need the big body and experience of Hudson. Q showed he can support ruck duties easily.

We would've lost that game if we had Dawes and not Q yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hudson has to play. To be honest, before Jolls wend down, I was thinking how much he has declined since we got him in 2010. I don't think the gap between he and the next best option is as big as people think.

I have been impressed with Hudson, and think he will get the first crack. I expect Witts will get some ruck time as well in Jolly's absence, but Hudson to take it on first from this week.

Again, I still maintain that longer term Witts will be the forward / second ruck of the Witts / Grundy pairing.

Got to be Hudson against the Hawks, play you best side and play to win. As it is i think we will struggle against them.

What about thumbs up for Lynch this week? The way I see it he was a massive factor is us beating the Blues. His recruitment has already paid off in my eyes:)

SEN reporting jolly released from Hospital with two broken ribs no word on how long he will be out but youd think 4-6

Put him on ice until the second half of the season and release the beast

I have to agree with earlier poster that said Witts gets pushed off the ball too easily.

I saw a few occassions in the VFL game where he was knocked over by a much smaller man. What was impressive though was that he was pretty good on the lead and took marks and converted.

I think Hudson should play against Hawthorn though.

But we have 3 big games coming up against sides with strong ruckmen...so Hawthorn probably have the weakest of the ruck divisions coming up. Could be a good chance to expose him.

SEN reporting jolly released from Hospital with two broken ribs no word on how long he will be out but youd think 4-6

Put him on ice until the second half of the season and release the beast

Any chest injury destroys your night, sleeping is almost impossible, coughing is agony, even taking a dump is excruciating.

Let him rest and recuperate, use Hudson in the big games, Witts against the lesser teams and hopefully we'l have 3 rucks ready to go in September.

I'm excited about Witts and think he will be a player, but he isn't ready for anything more than development games as number one ruck against Melbourne/GWS/GC. Maybe if he can keep showing the promise up forward he did this week in the VFL he'll get more playing with Jolly/Hudson but for now we need a first ruck not a ruck/forward and Hudson is clearly superior.

I'll be disappointed if Hudson doesn't come in, his form last year was very underrated for the Lions.

VFL watchers, how was Witts on the weekend?

Who was playing #1 ruck, Witts or Huddo? You would think in terms of development we would be playing Witts as #1 ruck in the VFL regardless of who is the better fit...?

but who looked to be having more impact as a ruck?

I'd have thought Huddo a certainty this weekend, unless Witts was good vs Ballarat.

I went to the game so it's a bit hard to guage ruck work - easier on camera.... But I thought Witts was fantastic around the ground, showed some very good skills and his marking was great. Pretty sure Hudson rucked most of the game though.

Although I would love to throw Witts in for a debut (and they both deserve it equally after the weekend's game), we really need this game against the Hawks and Hudson knows how to go about the rucking business.

Give Witt's or Payne a run. Then use Lynch as a second ruck or if playing Payne Lynch can be 1st ruck. Not ideal but no need to panic. The young players are flying good environment to develop them in.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO JOLLY? :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back