Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

I know she will be feeling like poo for months, but still, how can Carpenter miss that ball not once, but twice, to allow England to score. Bloody hell.

I know she will be feeling like poo for months, but still, how can Carpenter miss that ball not once, but twice, to allow England to score. Bloody hell.
She’s apparently been copping it hard from complete oxygen thieving trolls on Instagram since last night. She’s had to disable comments on all her posts since the QF. Some people are quite simply campaigners.

Matildas have played and looked better without Kerr. She is an out and out superstar, however her absence galvanised the rest of the squad big time and there is definitely a bit of a “pass it to Sam” mentality when she’s on. Fowler and Raso operated better without her

Matildas have played and looked better without Kerr. She is an out and out superstar, however her absence galvanised the rest of the squad big time and there is definitely a bit of a “pass it to Sam” mentality when she’s on. Fowler and Raso operated better without her

100% this

Agree.

However having said that, Sweden were all over them for most of the game. They hold their structure and width so well, and are so clinical when attacking. Their defence was rock solid. But that penalty was ****ing soft as.

Last edited:
Don't agree, this seems like an opportunistic pot shot, cutting down the tall poppy.

In reality, they came up against very strong units and were lucky to get past France. They rode the wave while they could but couldn't hold it.

Yeah gotta disagree on the Kerr theory

We tired as tournament went on AND played far superior teams, we also lost a key defender which made it harder

Players like Raso and Foord were much worse as the comp went on but not due to Kerr, they got tired and played better defenses, Raso was great early on but got subbed pretty early in both of the finals because she was cooked by that point.

You could tell Fowler tired too, she was way off in the last 2 games, Sweden did very well at shutting down her space too, they were a very good team tonight.

That is very sad news.He was one of the great goal kickers of out game. A magnificent exponent of the drop punt. A member of the AFL Hall of Fame.
Rest peacefully Ocker.
1271 goals at an average of 4.72 per game across Subi & Sth Melb. Most prolific FF in WA football history.

1271 goals at an average of 4.72 per game across Subi & Sth Melb. Most prolific FF in WA football history.
A major player in setting up WSC.
He liked to talk a bit I believe.I saw him on TV the night he was inducted into the AFL HOF, So many stories he told. I think they used a crane to get him off stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A major player in setting up WSC.
He liked to talk a bit I believe.I saw him on TV the night he was inducted into the AFL HOF, So many stories he told. I think they used a crane to get him off stage.
From memory he also helped Dennis Lillee with his recovery from injury early in his career.

From memory he also helped Dennis Lillee with his recovery from injury early in his career.
I think that was his Dad,Austin senior.
He was,prominent running coach and a champion runner himself.
I found this when searching for more info.Ron Head was a amateur writer who loved Aussie rules, more specifically the WAFL.
This is his article on Austin Robertson.
This is from OZ footy where the late Ron Head has many stories of the WAFL: players.
Austin Robertson
Austin Robertson was one of Western Australia’s finest ever full forwards. He kicked 1287 goals for Subiaco, 60 in his only season at South Melbourne, and 44 in ten games for Western Australia. He led the WANFL goalkicking list eight times and topped the hundred in six of the eleven years he played with Subiaco. His total of 157 in the 1968 season is a record and will stand for many years to come. Yet for the bulk of his career Robertson played in bottom four sides. In thirteen seasons he only played in six finals. This makes his performances even better than the already impressive statistics would suggest. Austin Robertson was a product of the Subiaco Juniors, and played his early football with the Floreat Park juniors. He joined Subiaco in 1961, and made his league debut in 1962, at the age of eighteen. He was an instant sensation. He kicked 89 goals in that first year and topped the league list. Robertson inherited the speed qualities of his father Austin Robertson snr, who besides being a champion footballer was an accomplished athlete, at one time being known as “the fastest man in the world”. Robertson jnr was lightning quick out of the blocks and was a dependable mark, but it was his kicking that set him apart from his peers. Like his champion predecessor, Bernie Naylor, he practised and perfected the drop punt, and he rarely missed a shot on goal. Tallies he kicked when topping the league list were: 1962(89), 1964(94), 1965(108), 1968(162), 1969(116)1970(116), 1971(111) and 1972(98). It has to be said that, although Subiaco were a bottom side for most of the sixties, they did possess some great midfielders, who complemented Robertson’s game with superb footpassing. Reg Hampson, Cam Blakemore, and Peter Metropolis were stars for a battling Subiaco side and developed an understanding with the star sharpshooter. Full backs from opposing sides breathed a sigh of relief when Austin Robertson went to Victoria in 1966 to line up with the club who still hold his father in high esteem, South Melbourne. He only played there for one season, but it was enough to let the Vics see his ability first hand, booting 60 majors for the lowly VFL side. After returning to Subiaco in 1967, he picked up where he had left off, but it was the following season that his game moved into another gear. In 1968 he was unstoppable, and went into the last game of the qualifying rounds fourteen goals behind Bernie Naylor’s benchmark of 156. He kicked fifteen in that game, against a hapless East Fremantle, to set a new high for full forwards in Western Australia. Five more in the finals that year took his season’s tally to 162. He capped off the year with a Subiaco fairest and best award. The following three years saw Robertson kick three figure totals, followed by 98 in 1972. In 1973, the drought ended for Subiaco, and the long awaited premiership was theirs. Although the Maroons changed their style of play to give them more forward options, Robertson was still their number one goalkicker. Austin Robertson retired after the 1974 season at the age of 31. For a full forward to win a fairest and best is an achievement. Robertson won two for Subiaco. He set a standard for full forward play and accurate kicking that will last as long as there is football in Western Australia.

Last edited:
Try this for a story - was playing reserves at Peel about 8 years ago (not the Rock)

Dwayne Johnson raves as cult hero Aussie punter Lou Hedley survives brutal NFL cut at Saints​

Hollywood megastar Dwayne Johnson sent congratulations and a $1 million salary is incoming. Lou Hedley earned an incredible NFL nod despite being given ‘0%’ chance, writes PETER MITCHELL.

3 min read
August 31, 2023 - 11:00AM
CODE Sports
Dwayne Johnson has been a big supporter of Aussie punter Lou Hedley, who has earned an NFL roster spot with the New Orleans Saints. Pictures: Getty Images

Dwayne Johnson has been a big supporter of Aussie punter Lou Hedley, who has earned an NFL roster spot with the New Orleans Saints. Pictures: Getty Images
Lou Hedley’s cult hero status continues to grow in the US, with Hollywood megastar Dwayne Johnson showering the former scaffolder from Mandurah with praise for making the New Orleans Saints’ 53-man NFL roster.
“Love Lou Hedley’s story and his hunger,” Johnson, who has more than 17 million followers, wrote in one tweet.

“Love seeing this. Congrats brother. Hardest workers in the room,” he wrote in another.
Johnson first took interest in the heavily-tattooed Hedley’s career when the Australian joined the University of Miami Hurricanes as a punter in 2019, wearing jersey No.94. That was Johnson’s number when he played for the Hurricanes in the early 1990s.
Hedley, who describes the support from Johnson and other fans as “surreal”, has overcome countless hurdles to realise his dream of making the Saints’ squad. He will earn at least $AU1.16 million in his rookie year.
“It’s just amazing,” Hedley told CODE Sports.
“Last night I was trying to go to sleep but at that time Australia was waking up, so I was able to speak to my family, friends and everyone who has been with me on this journey.”

NFL teams slashed their squads from 90 players to 53 on Tuesday. Hedley’s survival as New Orleans’ punter was a shock.
For the past four months, the Aussie was in a head-to-head battle with Saints’ incumbent Blake Gillikin for the lone punting job. Prior to the final cut, USA Today surveyed 10 US media outlets’ roster projections and concluded that Hedley had a “0%” chance of beating Atlanta-born Gillikin, the New Orleans’ punter of the past two seasons.
Hedley arrived at the Saints’ practice facility early on Tuesday for physio and then endured a tense wait, not knowing if it would be his final day with the team. During the day, coaches approached players and gave them the news.
“It’s tough because I saw a lot of friends who I built really good relationships with over the past four months leave,” Hedley said.
“You just wait around until you’re informed that you’re leaving, or you’re on the 53. I’ve got a lot of respect for Blake because since I came into this building, he took me under his wing and made me better every day.”

Hedley’s moment of reckoning came when special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi walked up to him, offered a smile and a firm handshake, and told him to get ready for their first regular-season game against the Tennessee Titans on September 10.
“He said, ‘Congratulations. There’s plenty of work to do but we’re super excited to start the season’,” Hedley recalled.
Rizzi did not explain to Hedley why he was selected over Gillikin. In the Saints’ recent pre-season games against the Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers and Houston Texans, Hedley and Gillikin were closely matched.
New Orleans had a practice later on Tuesday that laid bare how many players had been cut.
“It felt pretty weird out there with nearly half the guys gone,” Hedley said.
Lou Hedley during a New Orleans Saints NFL pre-season game against the Los Angeles Chargers. Picture: John McCoy/Getty Images

Lou Hedley during a New Orleans Saints NFL pre-season game against the Los Angeles Chargers. Picture: John McCoy/Getty Images
Hedley’s underdog rise began when he reached out to Melbourne-based punting academy Prokick Australia in 2016, for a shot at joining a US college team. He was working as a scaffolder at the time and playing Aussie rules on weekends for Peel Thunder reserves in the West Australian Football League (WAFL). He had a strong leg and played full-back.
“I was a bit of a ball hog and wing was actually my favourite position so if I had the chance, I‘d creep onto the wing to score some cheap goals,” he laughed.
Hedley left high school in Mandurah in Year 11, so when Prokick had him prepped for the US in 2017, his unglamorous first stop was the City College of San Francisco, a public community college where he could boost his grades and learn how to punt a football during actual games.
It was a tough introduction to the US. Hedley lived in an apartment in a dodgy neighbourhood with 11 other players from the football team, sharing one bathroom.
Lou Hedley punts for the University of Miami Hurricanes. Picture: Michael Reaves/Getty Images

Lou Hedley punts for the University of Miami Hurricanes. Picture: Michael Reaves/Getty Images
His fortunes changed in 2019 when the University of Miami offered him a scholarship and he became one of the top punters in US college football. Hedley spent four years at Miami and has two degrees: a Bachelor’s in Sports Administration and a Master‘s in Liberal Studies.
Despite his status among college football punters, Hedley was not selected at this year’s NFL Draft. Yet a short time after, New Orleans signed the Australian and put him in the head-to-head training camp battle with Gillikin.
The US media has become besotted with the 30-year-old, 194cm tall Hedley and his journey from Western Australia. Headlines have included “Most Intimidating Punter You’ve Ever Seen” and the “Most Interesting Man in the NFL”.

Looking at him you can't half tell he is from Mandurah. But, it is always good to see more Aussie punters in the NFL. College is littered with them (including my Georgia Bulldogs) with 3 of the top 5 teams in the college game (Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State) having starting Aussie punters. Ohio State's punter is from Coogee so a good Perth boy making good at one of the top college programs.

Looking at him you can't half tell he is from Mandurah. But, it is always good to see more Aussie punters in the NFL. College is littered with them (including my Georgia Bulldogs) with 3 of the top 5 teams in the college game (Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State) having starting Aussie punters. Ohio State's punter is from Coogee so a good Perth boy making good at one of the top college programs.

What wrong with Mandurah you campaigner

Scorchers let Marizanne Kapp go in favour of keeping Sophie Devine after they went 1 and 2 in the WBBL draft. Sucks we couldn’t keep both. 😢 But Danni Wyatt will be a good pick up - run machine. Expecting to pick up England wicket keeper Amy Jones, today as a direct signing.

On the men’s side, Zak Crawley and Laurie Evans will be awesome. Interesting they opted only for two selections, backing in local talent instead. 👍🏼

Scorchers let Marizanne Kapp go in favour of keeping Sophie Devine after they went 1 and 2 in the WBBL draft. Sucks we couldn’t keep both. 😢 But Danni Wyatt will be a good pick up - run machine. Expecting to pick up England wicket keeper Amy Jones, today as a direct signing.

On the men’s side, Zak Crawley and Laurie Evans will be awesome. Interesting they opted only for two selections, backing in local talent instead. 👍🏼
it's much funner to make fun of Zak Crawley though so i'm a little disappointed about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back