Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got any strong opinions on the best banh mi in Perth? The place next to the 7/11 in Balcatta for me nails it every time.

Can agree on this location

Can also vouch for a bakery at dogswamp, a couple in Perth city and surprisingly - IGA Vic park do a cracker

Re: burgers - ya'll need to get to Burgerfreak Belmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can agree on this location

Can also vouch for a bakery at dogswamp, a couple in Perth city and surprisingly - IGA Vic park do a cracker

Re: burgers - ya'll need to get to Burgerfreak Belmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunch bar off port Kembla drive, near the stock road markets.

quite a good one next to Trang’s in Girrawheen

Maccas AFL ad lost me when Brad Scott chose to remove pickles & then a Swan put tomato sauce on chips.

Burgers: no tomato, no onion, EXTRA pickle
Chips: salt & vinegar

sauce on chips is so American & I like USA, but come on.
Gravy on chips is the only other sauce, besides Nandos sauces.

not that I like Maccas.

I'm in Melbourne & swear by the Memphis Big One at My Goodness for a fried chicken burger. & it is bloody large!

Anyone got any strong opinions on the best banh mi in Perth? The place next to the 7/11 in Balcatta for me nails it every time.
Place in West Perth called “Lets Eat” Is absolutely fantastic. Crazy popular as well. Laksa isn’t too shabby either

Reading through the last five pages of this thread I'm surprised there are so many Freo fans beyond the East and South Freo districts. Nice!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallabies are irrelevant these days 😒

I don't closely follow the sport but it seems other sports have passed Rugby Union and access the best athletes. Plus most Aussies are genetically not built to play Rugby Union whereas other Countries have a genetic advantage.
I'm curious what the genetic advantage of countries like Wales and NZ is?

Also alot smaller than Australia.

I don't closely follow the sport but it seems other sports have passed Rugby Union and access the best athletes. Plus most Aussies are genetically not built to play Rugby Union whereas other Countries have a genetic advantage.
The Wallabies were huge in the late 90s and early 00s. How far it has fallen.

As a Welshman, I'd say it's much less genetics, and much more free-to-air access ensuring strong grass roots.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also the case in NZ with schools, Colts and women promoted and watched.

However in this case, seems to be monumental stuff ups in coaching, selection and team plans.

Also the case in NZ with schools, Colts and women promoted and watched.

However in this case, seems to be monumental stuff ups in coaching, selection and team plans.

Have you guys been to a pub in New Zealand? Seriously the blokes in those establishments barely talk about anything else.

It’s an obsession in New Zealand and no other sport comes remotely close. That’s why they’re so good at it - even at their absolute worst their national team is ranked top 3 or 4 in the world.

Having said that there’s a similar obsession with association football in England and they’ve won **** in almost 60 years.

Having said that there’s a similar obsession with association football in England and they’ve won **** in almost 60 years.

It doesn't help when there are a shit load of other countries around the world with a similar obsession and some of them are even more crazy about it.

Not speaking with any level of authority on the subject but I'd hazard a guess that the national split between AFL and Rugby, and then the subsequent split between League and Union just means sporting talent is spread too thin for the Wallabies to be consistently competitive in a country of "only" 25 million people. I appreciate there are substantial differences in the physical qualities/skills needed across the different codes but there are only so many good athletes available that are going to a) want to play rugby and b) want to play union.

The Kangaroos are quality and have been for as long as I can remember...I'm guessing there are a fair few NRL players that could have easily slotted into the current Wallabies side if they'd followed a different pathway. Whether that's a failing of Union grassroots programs, administrative **** ups, both, or something else entirely, I have no idea.

Sad either way - used to love watching the early 00s Wallabies when C7 would show their Saturday night tests.

Last edited:
Not speaking with any level of authority on the subject but I'd hazard a guess that the national split between AFL and Rugby, and then the subsequent split between League and Union just means sporting talent is spread too think for the Wallabies to be consistently competitive in a country of "only" 25 million people. I appreciate their are substantial differences in the physical qualities/skills needed across the different codes but there are only so many good athletes available that are going to a) want to play rugby and b) want to play union.

The Kangaroos are quality and have been for as long as I can remember - and I'm guessing there are a fair few NRL players that could have easily slotted into the current Wallabies side if they'd followed a different pathway. Whether that's a failing of Union grassroots programs, administrative * ups, both, or something else entirely, I have no idea.

Sad either way - used to love watching the early 00s Wallabies when C7 would show their Saturday night tests.

I'd say your guess is right. I seem to remember seeing a report a few years ago where union was somewhere alongside taekwondo in the 1-2% range for junior participation rates. It's a niche activity and I think the national team will only continue to get worse.

On top of Aussie Rules and rugby league, there's also basketball and soccer that have boomed in popularity as the Wallabies have declined. While rugby has those human tank types that would not be suited to many other sports, the creative players (backs) aren't necessarily huge and are being lost to other sports. It's also an elitist private school sport and that doesn't help with participation.

I reckon you could undertake an experiment by plucking out 20 of the most suitable players out of the NRL, and give them 12 months of union training and they would smash the Wallabies.

I'm curious what the genetic advantage of countries like Wales and NZ is?

Also alot smaller than Australia.

Seriously, have you seen a Māori person? They are genetically bigger and with weights training program much more powerful than the average Australian.

Plus as others have mentioned. Rugby union is their number 1 sport so get the pick of all athletes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back