Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Welshman, I'd say it's much less genetics, and much more free-to-air access ensuring strong grass roots.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
My missus is Welsh and her number one sport is Union by far, soccer distant second then pretty much any other sport (I did get her to watch Aussie Rules games with me and she’s slowly getting into it)
For most Welsh people rugby union is number one, I was told

Yea I know that - just couldn’t resist the opportunity to take the piss out of England.
Making fun of England?
Ill Allow It GIF

My missus is Welsh and her number one sport is Union by far, soccer distant second then pretty much any other sport (I did get her to watch Aussie Rules games with me and she’s slowly getting into it)
For most Welsh people rugby union is number one, I was told

The same with South Africa too. Even England and France don't have the added competition of an additional football code on top of soccer and rugby league (which I don't think is as popular as here).

We're in the same boat as the USA in terms of competition amongst codes. Like most things Aussie sport, we punched well above our weight for a long time before the other nations started to catch up/match our sport obsession.

The same with South Africa too. Even England and France don't have the added competition of an additional football code on top of soccer and rugby league (which I don't think is as popular as here).

We're in the same boat as the USA in terms of competition amongst codes. Like most things Aussie sport, we punched well above our weight for a long time before the other nations started to catch up/match our sport obsession.

Also most of the rugby nations (minus NZ) have always had soccer at the top of the tree as a competing code. So it's not really going to take further away from rugby as time progresses. Whereas in Australia, soccer has grown at a huge rate. Basketball as well, which I don't think is very popular in the UK. Soccer and basketball are now the two highest participation team sports in Australia for both 6-13 year olds and 14+. Rugby union is way down the list, below minnow sports like volleyball and tee-ball.

A lot of ex-Islanders and ex-(white) Africans making up a significant chunk of our rugby union talent which is now telling. Not that there's an issue with them playing for Australia but they are picking up a fair bit of slack.

Seriously, have you seen a Māori person? They are genetically bigger and with weights training program much more powerful than the average Australian.

Plus as others have mentioned. Rugby union is their number 1 sport so get the pick of all athletes.
Yes, I've seen many Maori and related to a couple.

Don't think there are any Maori in the Welsh team.

I'm curious if you claim Australia doesn't have a genetic advantage like being Maori, why don't the many (over a third) Australians with Pacific Island backgrounds in the squad count?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back