Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Bazzball is a combination of aggressive batting, aggressive bowling, unorthodox field placings and a hell of a lot of hype (propaganda)

England's batsmen are in the most part better off slugging as they lack the class to play a long innings. Root is obviously a class batsman who can do both however after that it drops away quickly. It is however playing to their strengths.

Unfortunately they have made a poor choice in Bairstow as the keeper, favouring his runs over his poor keeping. A decent keeper would bring more benefits to the team in my opinion.

Stokes is willing to try anything in the field and sometimes it comes off but so does conventional cricket as often as not. Hopefully we respond to the short ball barrage, aimed at our tail enders, in kind just to keep it interesting.

The propaganda around Bazzball reminds me of Warnie announcing he had a new delivery just before a test series. He probably did enough talking to create just an element of doubt in the batsman's mind that something unexpected may be around the corner when in fact it was nothing new at all.

Australia played a version of Bazzball in the Hayden, Ponting, Warne and McGrath era, scored fast and backed their bowlers in to dismiss the opposition short of the target.

I think England are getting the best out of their team by using tactics to harness their strengths but they now need to show they can hold their nerve after falling behind in the quest to win back the Ashes on home soil.

Australia's biggest trump card is that Smith and Marnus will get going at some stage. Plenty of runs from these two will put lots of pressure back on England.

It's going to be enthralling viewing from here on.

Bazzball is a combination of aggressive batting, aggressive bowling, unorthodox field placings and a hell of a lot of hype (propaganda)

England's batsmen are in the most part better off slugging as they lack the class to play a long innings. Root is obviously a class batsman who can do both however after that it drops away quickly. It is however playing to their strengths.

Unfortunately they have made a poor choice in Bairstow as the keeper, favouring his runs over his poor keeping. A decent keeper would bring more benefits to the team in my opinion.

Stokes is willing to try anything in the field and sometimes it comes off but so does conventional cricket as often as not. Hopefully we respond to the short ball barrage, aimed at our tail enders, in kind just to keep it interesting.

The propaganda around Bazzball reminds me of Warnie announcing he had a new delivery just before a test series. He probably did enough talking to create just an element of doubt in the batsman's mind that something unexpected may be around the corner when in fact it was nothing new at all.

Australia played a version of Bazzball in the Hayden, Ponting, Warne and McGrath era, scored fast and backed their bowlers in to dismiss the opposition short of the target.

I think England are getting the best out of their team by using tactics to harness their strengths but they now need to show they can hold their nerve after falling behind in the quest to win back the Ashes on home soil.

Australia's biggest trump card is that Smith and Marnus will get going at some stage. Plenty of runs from these two will put lots of pressure back on England.

It's going to be enthralling viewing from here on.
Exactly. Bazball isn't a strategy, it's making the best of their batting deficiencies. Why look for Test batters when you can send in limited over cricketers and tell them to bat like it's 50 overs (Root being the obvious exception here). Bazball also suits their brave and instinctive captain. The pressure on them will only increase if they continue to be bowled out inside a day on good batting wickets (or declare inside a day!)

I have looked up the score sheets and can not find the Pommie player called Bazz Ball. Is he a bowler, batsman, does he field well?
All jokes aside, I pulled the stumps , here in Perth, when Uzzie was dismissed. I thought it was all over, but very pleasantly surprosed when I woke this morning top see that Cummins and Lyon guided us to victory.Awesome.
I have the feeling that the Pommie press and supporters , and maybe the players thought that the Aussies would fight fire with fire.That was never going to happen. I also think that Ponting misread what Australia was doing throughout the entire match. Both he and the Sarth Efrican.
But the Pommie press are eating their own right now. Jonny is in big trouble. The Baz ball stuff being derided.
Other than the stupidity of Robinson, I thought the game was played in great spirit. Well done to both teams.

I reckon everyone being harsh on Gaz, he's a decent number 10 these days. Boland and Hazlewood are bunnies though.

I wouldnt mind seeing bat DEEP TM at some point this series and get Neser and Starc in there with Cummins
Boland has multiple first class fifties. He isn't completely useless with the stick.

Was genuinely worried about losing the second last wicket until that final shot though - had no confidence in Hazlewood even lasting a couple of balls.

Yep. Plenty of improvement out of Marnus and Smith, as well as from Starc or Neser for Hazlewood (which will also improve the batting tail). Green hasn't played much cricket in England and will get better as well.

Warner is the concern when it comes to batting. He did do better in the second innings, but on form he has been very bad for a while now.

The issue i have with Starc is he will be even more expensive. Could he get more wickets if they are all out attack? Will that balance out the run rate against?

Finally - although the media Sanga and others were being stupid about Baz Ball - the English fans are freaking amazing. The songs and ROOOOOOOOOT and atmosphere is so good. I wish we had that for Freo. Unfortunately it isn't really part of our culture.

Warner is the concern when it comes to batting. He did do better in the second innings, but on form he has been very bad for a while now.

The issue i have with Starc is he will be even more expensive. Could he get more wickets if they are all out attack? Will that balance out the run rate against?

Finally - although the media Sanga and others were being stupid about Baz Ball - the English fans are freaking amazing. The songs and ROOOOOOOOOT and atmosphere is so good. I wish we had that for Freo. Unfortunately it isn't really part of our culture.
Starc is one of our all time best limited overs bowlers. He'll go for runs but he knows how to get wickets when batsman attack.

I was lucky enough to wake up with the tv still on when we needed 15 runs to win.

I'd fallen asleep just after Ussie got out so couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up. I was instantly glued to the tv for the last 30 minutes on the edge of my seat/bed.

It was some of the most tense Test cricket I've seen, because right up until the winning runs I expected we'd lose if one of those two miscalculated and exposed Hazlewood to the Poms. Couldn't sleep for at least 30 mins after it finished either.

I mustn't have been at the top of my game this morning because the girls at work printed out that Mr Men Mr Grumpy character and stuck it to my computer. I'm going to leave it there forever as a badge of honour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was lucky enough to wake up with the tv still on when we needed 15 runs to win.

I'd fallen asleep just after Ussie got out so couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up. I was instantly glued to the tv for the last 30 minutes on the edge of my seat/bed.

It was some of the most tense Test cricket I've seen, because right up until the winning runs I expected we'd lose if one of those two miscalculated and exposed Hazlewood to the Poms. Couldn't sleep for at least 30 mins after it finished either.

I mustn't have been at the top of my game this morning because the girls at work printed out that Mr Men Mr Grumpy character and stuck it to my computer. I'm going to leave it there forever as a badge of honour.

I remember when you chilled with a bud

How things have changed

I have looked up the score sheets and can not find the Pommie player called Bazz Ball. Is he a bowler, batsman, does he field well?
All jokes aside, I pulled the stumps , here in Perth, when Uzzie was dismissed. I thought it was all over, but very pleasantly surprosed when I woke this morning top see that Cummins and Lyon guided us to victory.Awesome.
I have the feeling that the Pommie press and supporters , and maybe the players thought that the Aussies would fight fire with fire.That was never going to happen. I also think that Ponting misread what Australia was doing throughout the entire match. Both he and the Sarth Efrican.
But the Pommie press are eating their own right now. Jonny is in big trouble. The Baz ball stuff being derided.
Other than the stupidity of Robinson, I thought the game was played in great spirit. Well done to both teams.
"Bazball"

How could a name so embarrassingly lame gain traction for anything.

Same. Carey was in all sorts and Cummins started out pretty shaky, Stokes had just castled Uzzie and the crowd was rabid.

How we completely killed their momentum to cruise to a comfortable win from there must have been one helluva hour of stick.

Same. Carey was in all sorts and Cummins started out pretty shaky, Stokes had just castled Uzzie and the crowd was rabid.

How we completely killed their momentum to cruise to a comfortable win from there must have been one helluva hour of stick.

Test cricket at its best. Immense pressure and it was England that cracked. Cummins won the battle of the captains. Stokes dropping Lyon was a critical point, then Anderson couldn’t or wouldn’t bowl with new ball and Robinson wasn’t up to it. With Cummins batting so mentally tough and Lyon’s experience they shut England out

My Buddy is NOD

Test cricket at its best. Immense pressure and it was England that cracked. Cummins won the battle of the captains. Stokes dropping Lyon was a critical point, then Anderson couldn’t or wouldn’t bowl with new ball and Robinson wasn’t up to it. With Cummins batting so mentally tough and Lyon’s experience they shut England out

My Buddy is NOD
The steady heads of the two senior players held us in good stead.
Cummins form of late with the bat has not been good, but he had a good game with both bat and ball.
I just get this feeling that they Poms expected the Aussies to follow suit with bash and crash cricket. That was never going to happen.
On a wicket that was prepared to the Stokes wanting did the Poms no good.Even Broad was not happy.
Puts pressure on the Poms to now win the second test. Will they ask for a specific type of pitch,.Will they continue to play suicide cricket?

The steady heads of the two senior players held us in good stead.
Cummins form of late with the bat has not been good, but he had a good game with both bat and ball.
I just get this feeling that they Poms expected the Aussies to follow suit with bash and crash cricket. That was never going to happen.
On a wicket that was prepared to the Stokes wanting did the Poms no good.Even Broad was not happy.
Puts pressure on the Poms to now win the second test. Will they ask for a specific type of pitch,.Will they continue to play suicide cricket?

I love watching them go for broke while Usman takes his time and helps steer us to victory.

Not sure if this is within the scope of "non AFL" buuuuttttt might be of interest for some.

If you happen to be following the "Titan" event off the coast of North America...

An interesting insight into how actual real engineering and operational experience can be discarded in favour of PR and rich folks spin, with predictably disastrous results for (seriously rich but still trusting) paying customers.

That Titan scenario is scary af. Trying to imagine yourself in that kind of situation is terrifying. I think it would actually be worse with other people than alone, imagine the absolute meltdowns you'd be witnessing...
There wouldn't be enough time for anything like that. Either the carbon hull has imploded, or the titanium/carbon bond (where they connected the hatch) has failed. Either would be an enormous implosion where everyone is crushed instantly before they even knew what was happening.

It is truly mind boggling that this thing was operational. The list of problems is too long to even go into. And not hindsight stuff. They had a head of operational safety who raised concerns and was fired. People in the industry had been writing letters to these guys to get it properly tested/certified.

What is truly sad is the amount of resources put into this rescue attempt (especially when it seems the Navy detected the implosion days ago) while hundreds of poor Pakistani refugees were drowning off the coast of Greece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back