No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

ABC article reported that the club booked the venue. Not sure if by "the club" they mean "the players", but the theme alone highlights someone other than younger players themselves, (senior players, GWS, AFL) should have pulled them up. But ultimately they're adults, so have responsibility as representatives of themselves, but also of the club and broader league, given they're interacting with paid staff, to act responsibly.

If they were at one of their houses, or a venue where no one else was involved, different story.

HS initially reported they also stepped outside the venue onto the street. Did they appear on the street only in (offensive) costumes, or also perform offensive acts?

And as I posted earlier, ALL AFL players are advised about this sort of stuff from the moment they're drafted. So does blame ultimately lie with the players, the club or the AFL. I'd suggest players carry most of it, but wouldn't exonerate the club completely either. I'm not sure what else the AFL (as much as I'm as critical as anyone of them) can do in this case. Surely the club would reiterate (again) in the lead up to these sort of events the responsibility involved in the circumstances it is held?

Difficult area GJ79.

Somehow the AFL has to find a mechanism where they are not the moral conscious and just concentrate on the game. (My opinion). They are digging themselves a whole by picking and choosing.

I think of the Cats 22 dress up where all the media applauded them for imagination and responding to their critics.

They dressed as elderly and played it out on the streets in the public and cameras soaked it in having players dressed as elderly falling over, getting out of cars with great difficulty, wheelchairs and the like etc etc etc

I know some elderly were offended because they have the daily struggles that come with age, they have fallen and have had their lives changed and what was shown some took as they were having it trivialised.

I am sure that none of the GWS players would condone any of the scenarios they acted out.

I better stop here hopefully my point comes across.

Difficult area GJ79.

Somehow the AFL has to find a mechanism where they are not the moral conscious and just concentrate on the game. (My opinion). They are digging themselves a whole by picking and choosing.

I think of the Cats 22 dress up where all the media applauded them for imagination and responding to their critics.

They dressed as elderly and played it out on the streets in the public and cameras soaked it in having players dressed as elderly falling over, getting out of cars with great difficulty, wheelchairs and the like etc etc etc

I know some elderly were offended because they have the daily struggles that come with age, they have fallen and have had their lives changed and what was shown some took as they were having it trivialised.

I am sure that none of the GWS players would condone any of the scenarios they acted out.

I better stop here hopefully my point comes across.
I'm sorry, but if you can't see the difference between Geelong turning up as old people, after being told they were too old, and going on to win the premiership, to players turning up as alleged rapists and said player dressed up as alleged rapist performing a sex act, and therefore warranting a penalty, then I can't help you.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see the difference between Geelong turning up as old people, after being told they were too old, and going on to win the premiership, to players turning up as alleged rapists and said player dressed up as alleged rapist performing a sex act, and therefore warranting a penalty, then I can't help you.

There is a difference yes.

Some will be offended to a greater extent to others, some groups will be offended some groups wont.

I ask where does the AFL draw the line since they have taken on the task to do so.

How do they decide who gets suspended and who gets fined ?

Last edited:

Bartel also went as the St Kilda schoolgirl one year. Very on the nose.

Some will be offended to a greater extent to others, some groups will be offended some groups wont.

I ask where does the AFL draw the line since they have taken on the task to do so.

That is their job, to decide who gets suspended and who doesn't. How they come to that decision, I don't know.

In this case, I believe they got it right.
In the Stengel case, I believe they got it wrong.

But after hearing the facts, I can't see how anyone would think they got this one wrong.

Carrying on like a self absorbed and obnoxious arsehat is the entire point of being a 20+ year old.

Consideration for the thoughts and opinions of those not in on your hilarious hijinks, if it comes at all only comes with time.

Or in the case of the sanctioned GWS players after being bigfooted by the AFL.

As an aside. Ive been watching old episodes of Chappells Show over the last few weeks and cant imagine any of the skits he put to air 20 years ago, being aired today. As a further aside, I still find that show to be hilarious. Cocaine is indeed a hell of a drug. Modern Chappell stand up specials not so much.

It's not a matter of offending groups of people. It's the idea that finding rape and rapists (even if alleged) funny, especially with a big focus currently on DV, is offensive to society broadly, which seems to have escaped them, even with the AFL's and clubs' emphasis on respect being drummed into them.

It's not a matter of offending groups of people. It's the idea that finding rape and rapists (even if alleged) funny, especially with a big focus currently on DV, is offensive to society broadly, which seems to have escaped them, even with the AFL's and clubs' emphasis on respect being drummed into them.

My point is lAFL HQ best to take such things on and deliberate sanctions on and choose what they punish and what they don’t.

Yes they campaign and focus on DV but at the same time quite happy to have alcohol company’s and betting companies monies when they are a factor in DV.

Concentrate on the game find a mechanism to deal with those moral issues if at all

They are sending mixed messages.

Here is another one when Falou had his issues with the famous instagram post the then CEO of the AFL said you should not judge someone on who they fall in love with. Love is Love everyone has the right to choose who they love.
This wasn’t afforded to an AFL executive who had relations with another adult at the workplace it was deemed inappropriate, Why? They were sacked because?

Last edited:
Carrying on like a self absorbed and obnoxious arsehat is the entire point of being a 20+ year old.

Consideration for the thoughts and opinions of those not in on your hilarious hijinks, if it comes at all only comes with time.

Or in the case of the sanctioned GWS players after being bigfooted by the AFL.

As an aside. Ive been watching old episodes of Chappells Show over the last few weeks and cant imagine any of the skits he put to air 20 years ago, being aired today. As a further aside, I still find that show to be hilarious. Cocaine is indeed a hell of a drug. Modern Chappell stand up specials not so much.
What a great show.

Game blouses!!!!

My point is lAFL HQ best to take such things on and deliberate sanctions on and choose what they punish and what they don’t.

Yes they campaign and focus on DV but at the same time quite happy to have alcohol company’s and betting companies monies when they are a factor in DV.

Concentrate on the game find a mechanism to deal with those moral issues if at all

They are sending mixed messages.

Here is another one when Falou had his issues with the famous instagram post the then CEO of the AFL said you should not judge someone on who they fall in love with. Love is Love everyone has the right to choose who they love.
This wasn’t afforded to an AFL executive who had relations with another adult at the workplace it was deemed inappropriate, Why? They were sacked because?
I'm sorry but that is completely unrelated to what I said. I am referring to the chosen theme for the gathering in the first place.

When the AFL got to hear about it, they felt they had to be seen to do something, considering the chosen theme.

Whether the sanctions were too quick, inappropriate, knee-jerk, is another question. I tend to think the AFLPA should have been called in straightaway and consulted.

I'm sorry but that is completely unrelated to what I said. I am referring to the chosen theme for the gathering in the first place.

When the AFL got to hear about it, they felt they had to be seen to do something, considering the chosen theme.

Whether the sanctions were too quick, inappropriate, knee-jerk, is another question. I tend to think the AFLPA should have been called in straightaway and consulted.

I understand what you are saying. The point I was trying to make is that AFL HQ had to do something because they have commented and taken a stance on some things that in my opinion they should have not in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back