MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, now that the Lions have made it past my prelim meltdown prediction, think there's a good chance they win on Saturday. Crowd advantage isn't as big of a factor in GFs, and feel like they should have the Pies covered in most areas. A lot will come down to how well they defend – should get enough looks with their midfield advantage and a strong forward line.

Agree. Only they’d want to address their poor start against Carlton. A 5 goal early blow out against Pies would be much harder to pull back. Pies seem to have a knack for absolutely flying out of the blocks.

Agree. Only they’d want to address their poor start against Carlton. A 5 goal early blow out against Pies would be much harder to pull back. Pies seem to have a knack for absolutely flying out of the blocks.

Would it? Carlton's defense has been stingy for the later part of the season. I think Brisbane's offense is better than anyone's defense and their defense is a lot better than people give them credit for. They prefer to rely on their guys winning their battles in defense for the majority of the game, dont send heaps back like we do until they are protecting a lead late.

2018_dom_sheed.gif
I agree with this, but Pies started hotter than their us/GWS in both finals and the damage was only a couple of goals. Collingwood's attack hasn't looked as dangerous this finals imo; their defence has been really good though. Lions have plenty of weapons forward. Could depend on if Hopwood/Daniher etc kick straight. They'll get plenty of looks but are prone to bed shitting shots a bit like we did.

Still don't count out the possibility of that forwardline to implode on GF day! Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron. Yeah, they've gotten past the prelim, but winning a GF is another huge step. Agreed they should be going in confident and probably slight faves, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if that forwardline chokes a big fat one.

Would it? Carlton's defense has been stingy for the later part of the season. I think Brisbane's offense is better than anyone's defense and their defense is a lot better than people give them credit for. They prefer to rely on their guys winning their battles in defense for the majority of the game, dont send heaps back like we do until they are protecting a lead late.

My comment was about Brisbane allowing the Pies to blow out to an early lead like they did Carlton. Pies are fast starters as we and others have found out this season. This time the Lions are on the G with the Magpie Army potentially up and about if they get away to an early lead. Adrenaline builds on adrenaline and suddenly you’re 36 points down in a GF.

I think Brisbane win and tipped them 6-8 weeks ago for the flag but it isn’t a gimme. Pies are a more accomplished and seasoned unit across the park than the Blues. Brisbane will need to be switched on for the full 100 minutes.

I’ll add that I think McStay is a problematic out for the Pies. Has been central to the their structure and kicked two goals in each of their two finals. In tight, low scoring victories he’s been an important player. Frampton coming in is a marginal downgrade but often these things are won and lost at the margins. As we found out (twice).

Last edited:
My comment was about Brisbane allowing the Pies to blow out to an early lead like they did Carlton..

Yes I know and my comment was in reference to exactly that you bellend.

I think Carlton's defense is just as good as Collingwood's. While not ideal I don't see it as big of a problem if they were to go down by 5 goals early, no lead is safe given how well they move the ball.

Yes I know and my comment was in reference to exactly that you bellend.

I think Carlton's defense is just as good as Collingwood's. While not ideal I don't see it as big of a problem if they were to go down by 5 goals early, no lead is safe given how well they move the ball.

Close but I think it’s a rung below, in talent, experience and structure.

Docherty McGovern Saad
Newman Weitering Cincotta

Maynard Pendlebury Howe
Murphy Moore Quaynor

Last edited:
How selfish you should give your ticket to some poor unfortunate Collingwood supporter.
I would but it's important I'm there to cheer on Melbourne's representative in the Grand Final Sprint

I would but it's important I'm there to cheer on Melbourne's representative in the Grand Final Sprint

Headless did so well in the demon dash that time that I think we should send him in to represent us.

In fairness his randomly selected opponent was Ben Brown.

Doesn't matter, Les would have destroyed anyone they put up against him that day, I remember it well, the MCG groundsman was really upset that he left burn marks all over the field from running so fast that his shoes caught on fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still don't count out the possibility of that forwardline to implode on GF day! Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron. Yeah, they've gotten past the prelim, but winning a GF is another huge step. Agreed they should be going in confident and probably slight faves, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if that forwardline chokes a big fat one.
I think the danger players this weekend for Brisbane might turn out to be Bailey, McCarthy and Rayner, i acutally dont think theyll get much out of daniher and hipwood goal wise, but they will need to compete strongly in the air to stop collingwood from intercepting . wouldnt be suprised to see oscar mc bob up with a goal or 2, can be quite handy if they can push him forward a little bit

Pies going with the solid meat and potatoes option of Lipinski as sub in the GF. "Pat's elite running ability will no doubt inject energy into the game and we look forward to seeing him make an impact on Saturday." (Graeme Wright)
It just makes you cringe in embarrassment at the way we handled our sub choice against Carlton. Picking TMac to play again after his shocker against Collingwood, then not even activating Schache after McDonald produced an equally bad game against Carlton, was close to Goodwin’s most embarrassing coaching selection/decision of the year imo (and he made a few in 2023). Still waking up in cold sweats over that one. In a 2 point game it probably cost us a spot in a prelim.

Pies reveal Grand Final sub in surprise move

Last edited:
God i hope Brisbane win, the pies fans have been insufferable already. Right now they're priding themselves on rocking up and being the loudest and yeah i get that, but they're also got some of the most fair weather bandwagoner supporters i've seen in my life. Really talking themselves up after the 97k crowd against GWS, are we not going to point out in 2019 in a prelim final, 20,000 less rocked up? Really could have made the MCG intimidating that day lads.

I trust the Pies a lot more than the Lions. Can't see them turning in a shocker while I can see that possibility with the Lions.

Pies by 19; Crisp for Normie.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lions won the past 6 vs the Pies including the last time they played at the G with a Zac Bailey goal after the siren.

Lions by 23 points. Get the feeling either one of or both Rayner or McCarthy will be epic in this game. Lachie Neale Norm Smith (coz every dickhead only cares about possessions)

Last edited:
Lions won the past 6 vs the Pies including the last time they played at the G with a Zac Bailey goal after the siren.

Lions by 23 points. Get the feeling either one of or both Rayner or McCarthy will be epic in this game. Lachie Neale Norm Smith (coz every dickhead only cares about stats)

I’m pretty much on the same wavelength. Lions by 22. Reckon their lead could blow out to as much as 45 before Pies peg them back a bit. Alas, too high a mountain to climb for one of their famed comebacks.

‘Chuckie’ Cameron to find his goal kicking radar, kick 5 and win the Norm Smith.

Last edited:

MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back