Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So true story, I turned the game off last night at about 7 minutes and 50 seconds to go in the last quarter when Collingwood were up 69 v 50 and Hill had just taken the mark and kicked the goal to put them 25 points up thinking it was done and dusted and Collingwood winning was a foregone conclusion. I've only just realised that the game ended in a draw.

Last edited:
What is lost in the discussion of the award of that free kick is that it is further evidence of a directive given to umpires to overtly narrow margins of matches to provide a grandstand finish.

Free kicks that are never paid at any other time seem to consistently get paid in the final 10 minutes of a match to a team that is down by 2-4 goals to swing momentum and tightens things up.

For example, there is zero chance that same free kick gets awarded if Fremantle are leading on the scoreboard.

Rule adjudication varies so much because umpires are considering the outcome on the match before they actually make a call.

What is lost in the discussion of the award of that free kick is that it is further evidence of a directive given to umpires to overtly narrow margins of matches to provide a grandstand finish.

Free kicks that are never paid at any other time seem to consistently get paid in the final 10 minutes of a match to a team that is down by 2-4 goals to swing momentum and tightens things up.

For example, there is zero chance that same free kick gets awarded if Fremantle are leading on the scoreboard.

Rule adjudication varies so much because umpires are considering the outcome on the match before they actually make a call.
Just adds to the list of what has killed the game for some. The stand rule. No third man up. Throwing/dropping the ball. The complete and utter BS fixtures. yada yada

So true story, I turned the game off last night at about 7 minutes and 50 seconds to go in the last quarter when Collingwood were up 69 v 50 and Hill had just taken the mark and kicked the goal to put them 25 points up thinking it was done and dusted and Collingwood winning was a foregone conclusion. I've only just realised that the game ended in a draw.
If only all the Freo fans did the same thing and left the ground early, then the crowd factor might not have helped Freo kick the last four goals.
The Eagles have to learn by that mistake Collingwood made and if they ever get in front in a game, then the only way to win is to stay there.

If only all the Freo fans did the same thing and left the ground early, then the crowd factor might not have helped Freo kick the last four goals.
The Eagles have to learn by that mistake Collingwood made and if they ever get in front in a game, then the only way to win is to stay there.
A lot of people did leave after Hill's goal, and even still after Banfield kicked one not long after

I like that the AFL said that it was correctly adjudicated for "time wasting" when nobody with a singular brain cell would believe that it was actually Sullivan's intention to time waste. Just defies logic and common sense.
As many have said, the clock is stopped for those ball ups too.

I reckon Liam Duggan (?) was pinged for it last year at Optus. Is definitely a rule. You either drop the ball on the deck or hand it to the umpire, anything else is a free.
McCluggage got pinged for it last season for throwing the ball to BigO, who turned and gave the ball to the umpire. Didn't click to the umpire that a 206cm ruck standing between him and the player holding the ball was an impediment to the player being able to hand the ball to the umpire.

Toby Greene got pinged for dropping the ball on the ground earlier this season, instead of handing the ball to the umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the Rankine too far or Clark dissent calls? This feels like confirmation bias to me.

I like that the AFL said that it was correctly adjudicated for "time wasting" when nobody with a singular brain cell would believe that it was actually Sullivan's intention to time waste. Just defies logic and common sense.
Fair enough I reckon, we'll never get back that 1.2 seconds that was wasted.

Its not the time lost from the clock, its the extra time until the ball is in play again allowing the Pies in this case to get into their structures.

In news that surprises noone North continue to suck at AFL.
It's funny but also confounding. They've selected so much young talent over 5 years, have an experienced coach and yet can't compete at all. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to rebuild through the draft anymore.

If you look at the last few wooden spooners, Adelaide and us have gotten off the canvas by having experienced players that are fit and in form, combined with youngsters starting to step up. North cut all their experience away and look completely stuffed.

The only similar situation I can think of is Carlton and Brissy, and they copped a decade of irrelevance before good trades got them the experience they needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back