Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You see, Essendon fans, that's why you don't gloat about the umps helping your team get over the line against the Crows in Round 6. Because the season and the umps have a way of evening things out...not that I thought the umps cost them the game tonight, but you wouldn't know it seeing how I've seen them carry on on Twitter and Instagram tonight.

Nah. It's Martin Roger. Umpire #37. He's the worst umpire in any sport at any time in all of history. I used to think he just hated the eagles like any other VFL umpire, but nope. He's just :poo:. A random number generator would be less random than ol' Marty. Every game he umpires is a disgrace. I can only assume he has blackmail photos of...someone...because he's still umpiring.

Nah. It's Martin Roger. Umpire #37. He's the worst umpire in any sport at any time in all of history. I used to think he just hated the eagles like any other VFL umpire, but nope. He's just :poo:. A random number generator would be less random than ol' Marty. Every game he umpires is a disgrace. I can only assume he has blackmail photos of...someone...because he's still umpiring.
So you don't like him!

Good to see essendon fail a 'test'.
Looked 'good' a month ago sitting in second having had a soft draw etc.
Now, lost 3 of the last 4, play the reigning premiers next and are only a game and half from 12th spot. Looking shaky to put it mildly.

But they do have the easiest run home and then there's the travel...
or total lack of it.

For me personally, I couldn't give 2 shits about Freo unless we're playing them.

Wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if they win the flag this year, as long as it's not another pricktorian club.

Then again, I've never known a Freo supporter IRL, so probably clueless to how insufferable they probably are.
We normally catch a few beers in the city before taking the train to Optus. Last Derby we were unfortunate enough to be in the same carriage as a bunch of Purps.

I can be as 'blokey' as the next, but in a train jammed with women and young kids, they were absolutely vile.

Tatt faced, rat-tail wearing, Rocko scum.

There, I've said it. Come at me snowflakes!

PS. I doubt that they were quite as vocal on the long ride back to Casuarina...

The afl website dissecting the free and non-frees in the Geelong essendon game

Wish they would do it after some of our games but just not enough commentator outrage I suppose.

Last week vs essendon we had merrett obvious throw results in a goal and the commentators say ' I suppose it doesn't matter at this stage of the game ' .

WTF ! It was 2 goals the difference with 5mins to go and if the throw was called it would have been going inside 50 again for us who had momentum

Last edited:
Looked 'good' a month ago sitting in second having had a soft draw etc.
Now, lost 3 of the last 4, play the reigning premiers next and are only a game and half from 12th spot. Looking shaky to put it mildly.

But they do have the easiest run home and then there's the travel...
or total lack of it.
The scoreline against us last week flattered them also.

The essington edge still has that cultural soft underbelly

As much as i think essendon are a fake top 8 team. They really were fkd over by the umps and they directly swung momentum to geelong.

How incompetent has the umpiring been this season.
There’s a difference between incompetent and flat out dodgy.

Some of the calls and non calls in Geelongs favour in the later part of the third quarter were flat out b.s. totally changed the momentum of the game, and the you could see the Essendon players dropping their heads.

Last edited:
That line has been a long time blurred.

There's lots not to like around how the AFL operates, umpiring standards is at the top of the list.
Umpiring aside, I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on the competitive balance paper written by Chris Fagan, and partially reported in the HS this week, on here.

I know it mostly deals with interstate teams making the GF, but it highlights more of the Vic bias in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpiring aside, I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on the competitive balance paper written by Chris Fagan, and partially reported in the HS this week, on here.

I know it mostly deals with interstate teams making the GF, but it highlights more of the Vic bias in the competition.
I think we know very well all about the Vic bias around here. Whilst it's good to hear it's being discussed on various platforms, I don't think any of us really expect the AFL to change their ways.

Leopards, spots & all of that....

I saw it posted on here somewhere but what more is there to do than nod in agreement?

That line has been a long time blurred.

There's lots not to like around how the AFL operates, umpiring standards is at the top of the list.

It needs a fix before 2025 season. I don't know why there is no appeal system as in the NFL, where they throw a flag onto the ground. Different game, yes, but the same principle can apply. Each coach can appeal, say, 3 decisions for review - the coaches have a button in the coaches box they can hit. The ump stops play and calls REVIEW - that flashes up on the big screen in yellow. The third ump reviews the decision on video, and delivers the verdict. It would add drama, and with 3 appeals only per coach, it's not going to slow the game down much. At least they might get some of these umpiring clangers right. Even in soccer there's an appeal system - VAR.
I know it's been mentioned before, but it's obviously needed now. 4 umps still can't get it right.

We've been dealing with Vic bias since 1986.

We travel more, lose home advantage in finals and don't have a friendly academy system to fall back on when Victorian talent and media try to manipulate the national draft.

None of it is news to us. We also know that it [the competitive balance paper] will have zero impact upon the decision-making of AFL-HQ.

If anything, past performance suggests the administration will probably now punish those clubs for having the tenacity of speaking out against their competition, rather than being forever thankful they are there at all.

All the talent in the womb went to ben king.

Max is a spud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back