Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 games, 3 winning goals from absolute howlers, what a day of footy.
The umpires are not this bad. I'm convinced they have clear instructions on how to direct the flow of the game.

The VaFL has just brought the blatant manipulation of the tribunal out onto the field nowadays.

Sport entertainment, marketed.to Victorians.

The umpires are not this bad. I'm convinced they have clear instructions on how to direct the flow of the game.

The VaFL has just brought the blatant manipulation of the tribunal out onto the field nowadays.

Sport entertainment, marketed.to Victorians.
What's the saying about not attributing to malice what can be explained by incompetence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast are comfortably more disappointing than any team out there.

14 seasons and never even finished in a single digit position let alone the finals!

They just keep finding a way to hit a speed bump.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Won their 5 home games at Carrara plus the 2 games in Darwin

Lost all 6 away games - 2 at Marvel plus Ballarat, SCH, Gabba and Gather round

Only have 4 more home games (Collingwood, Port, Brisbane and Melbourne) so even if they win all those they’ll still need to pick up 2 wins on the road (Fremantle, North, GWS, West Coast, Essendon and Richmond)

Doable but there’s not much margin for error

What's the saying about not attributing to malice what can be explained by incompetence
It's not overtly malicious, just like it isn't overtly malicious that the Man City/Liverpool/Man Utds of the world get all the penalties and VAR calls, but the rotating cast of lower tier teams get shafted on a consistent basis.

It's just one of those things that creeps in. Nobody has a gun to someone's head saying make sure you fix this game against the non-Vic, just one of those things that is a coincidence again and again. A quirk in the fixture, a coincidental free victory. One of those things. Tune in next week.

It's not overtly malicious, just like it isn't overtly malicious that the Man City/Liverpool/Man Utds of the world get all the penalties and VAR calls, but the rotating cast of lower tier teams get shafted on a consistent basis.

It's just one of those things that creeps in. Nobody has a gun to someone's head saying make sure you fix this game against the non-Vic, just one of those things that is a coincidence again and again. A quirk in the fixture, a coincidental free victory. One of those things. Tune in next week.
I mean Man City have the stench of cheating around them but have so much money to tie things up with lawyers and appeals that any action on them is at a snails pace

You make a good point, if someone asked for the AFL equivalents of Man City/Liverpool/Man Utd, most people would say North Melbourne/St Kilda/Hawthorn

Given my earlier posts I can see why Ochre is off on this tack. I don't think the umpires are told to stooge non-Vic teams specifically.

I think the umpires are told, particularly when they are shitty fixtures out of the flag race to just keep it close. I'm pretty sure we got a few pretty dodgy frees when it was blowing out a bit. Darling I think got a very soft one in a ruck contest to get a shot on goal for example

The umpires didn't kick it for Simpkin and they didn't kick the sealer from the next centre clearance either but I think the suits would be patting themselves on the back that the game was live until the last minute!

Trying to manipulate the way games play out for increased excitement and post game rage (they got me!), I mean engagement is great for the "product". More clicks, more tweets, more grist for the algorithms, more content for the journos. More money.

Given my earlier posts I can see why Ochre is off on this tack. I don't think the umpires are told to stooge non-Vic teams specifically.

I think the umpires are told, particularly when they are shitty fixtures out of the flag race to just keep it close. I'm pretty sure we got a few pretty dodgy frees when it was blowing out a bit. Darling I think got a very soft one in a ruck contest to get a shot on goal for example

The umpires didn't kick it for Simpkin and they didn't kick the sealer from the next centre clearance either but I think the suits would be patting themselves on the back that the game was live until the last minute!

Trying to manipulate the way games play out for increased excitement and post game rage (they got me!), I mean engagement is great for the "product". More clicks, more tweets, more grist for the algorithms, more content for the journos. More money.
Yeah it wouldn't be beyond them to court controversy like this for attention.

Dima's a Victorian coach in charge of the AFL's love child, so I guess he can get away with commenting on umpires.

Reckon Simmo would've got the West Coach Whingers comments from Cornes and Co if he'd said that about Yeo's free kick.
Not to mention a please explain letter.

"Look, it was clearly in my view, a free kick that was unwarranted," Hardwick said.

"It's tough. Those guys are battling all day. I just think the umpire calls it, that's his job, but unwarranted for mine.

"When two guys are going toe-to-toe, one's grabbing, the other one's grabbing, it's like well, which way do you go?

"He's probably only looking at one person trying to give away the free kick and it's the defender. So that's life."

Watching the highlights of Saints vs Suns, can't help but wonder how long until the umpires come down on Windhager. Just scragging and clinging all over his opponents - it'll be about a month too late after he basically held Harley off the ball but it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back