List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

People forgetting that Chad Warner had 29 and 2 goals in a belted GF against Geelong in 2022. All of Sydney shat the bed today not just Warner.

Also had 21 and 1.1 today.

Midfields

Mcgluggage 26
Berry 26
Ashcroft 20
Neale 31
Dunkley 27

Reid 19
Kelly 30
Yeo 31

I know what we need more than anything this draft.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldnt count Berry in with the rest tbh, but notice how they only spent 2 top picks on mids through the draft with one of them gifted to them through f/s.

We arent working under the same rules, we cant be looking to emulate them because its just not possible. Have to be a bit smarter about it

People forgetting that Chad Warner had 29 and 2 goals in a belted GF against Geelong in 2022. All of Sydney shat the bed today not just Warner.

Also had 21 and 1.1 today.
Not sure if people understand the midfield role Chad plays. Today he only had 21 disposals but he was number 1 for metres gained. 656 m gained while Zorko led for the Lions with 455 m.

Reality is that Lions got first hands on the ball a lot more and as we have witnessed the last 4 years, guarding grass can make your team look lacklustre.

For all of Grundy’s dominance in HO, the clearances were pretty much halved. As were contested possessions. It was the outside game that the Lions dominated and a consistent delivery into a forward line that did not go missing. Amarty, McLean and McDonald had 8 kicks combined. Delivery into i50 was shocking as was the forward structures

Warner needs contested beasts around him. Yeo, Harley and Ginbey may just be that. Not giving up on Chad that quickly but feel we might need to wait a year and load up with 2 more very good mids in 2024

Not sure if people understand the midfield role Chad plays. Today he only had 21 disposals but he was number 1 for metres gained. 656 m gained while Zorko led for the Lions with 455 m.

Reality is that Lions got first hands on the ball a lot more and as we have witnessed the last 4 years, guarding grass can make your team look lacklustre.

For all of Grundy’s dominance in HO, the clearances were pretty much halved. As were contested possessions. It was the outside game that the Lions dominated and a consistent delivery into a forward line that did not go missing. Amarty, McLean and McDonald had 8 kicks combined. Delivery into i50 was shocking as was the forward structures

Warner needs contested beasts around him. Yeo, Harley and Ginbey may just be that. Not giving up on Chad that quickly but feel we might need to wait a year and load up with 2 more very good mids in 2024
Fair points, I think the Swans were just out coached/played

How many of these guys are actually available to us?
Is it 0?

We arent trading for TB, and battle isnt available to us either

If theyre not available to us then theyre not available. They may as well not exist. There are mids who are gettable but no defenders.

We dont need a midfield full of elite mids. How many teams have 4 elite mids in the team?
Last year the Pies had 2 A-graders + role players.
2022 Geelong has Danger + role players
2021 Dees had Trac and Oliver + role players
2017, 2019, 2020 Tigers had Dusty and a midfield full of B graders
2018 we had Shuey and Yeo plus role players

If we draft a mid next year who we should at least get close to A-grade level, then thats 2 including Harley. Best case its 3 with Hewett, worst case its 1 truly A-grade plus some very solid B+ players.
Fits right in with the premiership teams of the last 7 years that ive listed.

1. We can either have a competent midfield and competent outside players for 2025, with another top pick mid coming for 2026
2. We can have a similar midfield to this year again(Yeo/Kelly + kids) along with very few outside players, same as this year. Then we can probably look to draft more outside players like im suggesting we do in this draft.

Essentially the only difference is the 2025 season is far less stable
No-brainer for me

Pretty sure every single player listed is available to us (in the sense that if we want to we can chase them, make offers etc). A couple we have courted but not got to the front of the queue.

Neale and Ashcroft showed again today that a midfield that bats deep is the most valuable 1-wood. 2024 is yet another prime opportunity to add depth to our midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 - Sid Draper
Pick 13 - Alix Tauru
Pick 23ish - Christian Moraes/ Liam Baker
Pick 59ish - Malakai Champion
Potential DFA/Future 3rd - Dev Robertson/Jaxon Prior
DFA - Matt Owies
DFA - Curtis Taylor
FA - Jack Graham

Pretty sure every single player listed is available to us (in the sense that if we want to we can chase them, make offers etc). A couple we have courted but not got to the front of the queue.
The defenders that were listed in the comment I responded to are not available to us. Whether they once were potentially an option is irrelevant. We arent trading in any defenders that are publicly known to be on the market at this stage.
Neale and Ashcroft showed again today that a midfield that bats deep is the most valuable 1-wood. 2024 is yet another prime opportunity to add depth to our midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They won by breaking even in the middle then chipping the ball around all day. Its not like they won by relying on their inside mids to play as inside mids.

Nobody can convince me that we need to draft an inside mid as a higher priority than outside speed and ball use. It just makes more sense to go for an outside hbf/wing type player with our early picks

We have holes to fill all over the ground so our early picks should be used on best available

At the same time we can bolster our midfield depth via trade/FA with a number of cheapish/low cost options to choose from - Garcia, Robertson, Graham, Parfitt, Carroll and possibly Peatling although that looks unlikely

We have holes to fill all over the ground so our early picks should be used on best available

At the same time we can bolster our midfield depth via trade/FA with a number of cheapish/low cost options to choose from - Garcia, Robertson, Graham, Parfitt, Carroll and possibly Peatling although that looks unlikely
Not with you. None of those you list are close to being in a team that you’ll be close to competing against the best. We need loads agree, but we must also prioritise mids

I wouldnt count Berry in with the rest tbh, but notice how they only spent 2 top picks on mids through the draft with one of them gifted to them through f/s.

We arent working under the same rules, we cant be looking to emulate them because its just not possible. Have to be a bit smarter about it
And the best on ground today for the u16 futures game was an lions academy kid too

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not with you. None of those you list are close to being in a team that you’ll be close to competing against the best. We need loads agree, but we must also prioritise mids
How many top picks do you think we should spend on midfielders? Or how many A-grade mids do you consider necessary to contend?
When do we stop using our first pick on midfielders?

Well the likelihood is best available at pick 3 will be a mid. Quite possibly at 13 as well should we hold it but if it’s a rebounding HB type like Travaglia then the fact he isn’t a mid shouldn’t preclude us from taking him

Are these better than the absolute dregs we've brought in cheaply in recentish years like JJ, Brockman, Langdon etc?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back