Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

4. This is one i've been saying for years. If your key midfielders are small they are likely to get beat up in finals. You can carry 1, particularly a libba or prestia type who are just ****ing animals at the bottom of the pack but small, slim midfielders as your key playmakers get shown up in finals. Exhibit A, Lachie Neale.

Exhibit B: brayshaw and serong (if fremantle ever played finals)

As i've stated in the membership thread, they offered me a free 3-game membership a couple of months ago via email. When i didn't respond they sent me a follow up email congratulating me for joining "the Port Adelaide family" and added my name to the season's membership figure. Yesterday in the mail i got a renewal notice for the membership i didn't want and didn't sign up for.
Interesting to see Port are fudging membership numbers, wonder how widespread this is across the league.

Interesting to see Port are fudging membership numbers, wonder how widespread this is across the league.

I was interested in this too and did a quick flick around reddit and seems like clubs like Collingwood are doing something similar. One pies chap said he cancelled his membership and they sent him a Complimentary 4 game membership. Another person at GWS said they went to one game and then received a email saying they were a member.

GWS give theirs away for free, or people sign up digital memberships so they could get a chance of a grand final ticket should they make it

Geelong supposedly in finals 16 times in last 18 seasons?
That is incredible, how is it even possible, what goes on down there in alphabet park?

Generous father/son benefits and consistently having among the lowest travel loads whilst maintaining a genuine home ground advantage each season are significant factors.

That said, C.Scott is by far and away the best coach in the competition and he is supported by arguably the best performing recruitment team around.

More than any other coach, he picks up on trends in the way the game is being played, and doesn't just copy success - he breaks it apart, adapts it, and turns it into something that is tactically superior.

Take this year - rather than just copy McRae's hyperaggressive "slingshot", where practically the whole team runs forward in numbers to support the attack at the risk of defensive naivety, the C.Scott version is only in the forward half of the ground and maintains defensive cohesion, particularly within the corridor.

Thus, a team that on average concedes more hitouts and clearances than any other in the competition also ranks no.1 for intercept differential and marks taken inside attacking 50.

I know this board loves the old 'credits in the bank' meme, but surely Charles Dixon has to be the captain of the credits crew at Port?

Cannot remember him ever being anything other than average.
He’s as useful as Levi Casboult if Levi Casboult couldn’t mark the footy and gave away undisciplined free kicks

Generous father/son benefits and consistently having among the lowest travel loads whilst maintaining a genuine home ground advantage each season are significant factors.

That said, C.Scott is by far and away the best coach in the competition and he is supported by arguably the best performing recruitment team around.

More than any other coach, he picks up on trends in the way the game is being played, and doesn't just copy success - he breaks it apart, adapts it, and turns it into something that is tactically superior.

Take this year - rather than just copy McRae's hyperaggressive "slingshot", where practically the whole team runs forward in numbers to support the attack at the risk of defensive naivety, the C.Scott version is only in the forward half of the ground and maintains defensive cohesion, particularly within the corridor.

Thus, a team that on average concedes more hitouts and clearances than any other in the competition also ranks no.1 for intercept differential and marks taken inside attacking 50.

Didn’t Steve Hocking work the afl as GM operations before heading to his role at Geelong as CEO as well. That’s reeks of conflict of interest, given he would have been privy to whatever bullshit rules the afl was concocting up. Should have had 2- 3 years gardening leave before he could take that role on. Same with the other Scott brother at Essendon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like threepeat Richmond

I’d be interested in seeing the stats around stoppages/clearances for dominant sides in recent times.

Are we naturally biased to think that winning stoppage contests is critical, because it ‘looks’ critical, even though it ultimately doesn’t guarantee winning games?

Didn’t Steve Hocking work the afl as GM operations before heading to his role at Geelong as CEO as well. That’s reeks of conflict of interest, given he would have been privy to whatever bullshit rules the afl was concocting up. Should have had 2- 3 years gardening leave before he could take that role on. Same with the other Scott brother at Essendon!
Steve Hocking job was to recommend the rule changes. Stand the mark, No third man up and 666.

Was thinking he must be the best coach going around, and for some time. The same with their recruitment, considering they're always high up the ladder and thus not getting top picks, amazing.
I heard on radio last night, someone mentioned they also get govnmnt funding for their facilities and essentially have 3 teams including the Falcons (?) and attract a lot of country players.
Whatever the reasons, and regardless of being a great coach with talented recruiting dept, their sustained (almost unbelievable) finals success also sends a red flag in the 'equalisation' dept? The same old trope that WA teams fly across the country almost every 2nd week, while many of the Cat's away games are just up the road in the same state, virtually the same city. Stinks.

I heard on radio last night, someone mentioned they also get govnmnt funding for their facilities and essentially have 3 teams including the Falcons (?) and attract a lot of country players.

That's a very good point that has a degree of validity to it.

All Victorian clubs receive substantial state government funding for their facilities, and Geelong have received far more than most, due to the convenience they provide in being an excuse for showing money to going to "country" areas.

The latest upgrade to Kardinia Park alone cost $142M and was fully-funded by the Victorian government.

Last year's budget also saw $4M allocated directly to the club so they could get a new scoreboard.

And the Cats are currently in the process of attempting to secure two-thirds funding from the state government for their $60M training facility build adjacent to Kardinia Park.

And then you have the teams. Geelong obviously have the AFL team, and the reserves in VFL.

Then you get the Falcons in the Talent League, with exclusive access to developing talent in the area, with an administration stacked with ex-Cats players and training facilities located less than 1km from the Cats.

Prior to Covid they played their matches at Kardinia Park as well.

12 players in the current Cats squad came through the Falcons.

It's an academy in everything but name.

All Victorian clubs receive substantial state government funding for their facilities, and Geelong have received far more than most, due to the convenience they provide in being an excuse for showing money to going to "country" areas.
Agree with your summary. But the funding is mostly because the Geelong area has marginal seats and so get the pork barrel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back