List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe we are already talking about 2025 picks.
Where are all the flying cars and why haven't we got a settlement on Mars yet??

Going to be a little weird seeing Darling run around for Norf and play his 300th game with them but hopefully he can play out the 2 years with them and we get something usable back.

I think it's more of a case of allowing the player to continue his career. Will be interesting to see what we plan to do with the sudden available cash.

I think it is more about life after football, there is a pathway for him to go into coaching/development after his football career is over, similar with what we did with Tom Lynch from the Crows who played for a year or two and then transitioned into coaching. it is a bit like getting an extra assistant early who can coach from the field.

We just haven't had the mature players to provide on-field leadership in recent times, especially on the forward line, and even though Darling's football is well past his prime, he was a very good footballer in his prime and he was a guy who relied heavily on work rate and system rather than just being a natural freak and that is probably one of our biggest weaknesses in our forward line that the system breaks down. I am not sure if it will be effective or not I can understand why we are interested. It is going to be less about how many goals he kicks and more about how he can help to develop the forward line and his transition into coaching/development.

Stranger things have happened, and it doesn't hurt to ask, and they probably will. Doesn't make the board look stupid at all , it's called speculation and we are all entitled to speculate.
What makes the board look stupid is people whingingt about people speculating. ...
I do not recall seeing anything stranger occur

Essentially gambling on where Hawthorn might finish next year is poor trading imo.

There is no science or logic to it, it is pure guesswork. All teams are different.

One thing is absolutely certain, we will be below them.
But that's why we also want this year's first pick. One guaranteed pick, one calculated gamble. Was our trade with Gold Coast in 2018 poor trading because it was a gamble?

Liking this.

Jack Darling has been a great servant for the club and we were never likely to offer him a deal for 2026.

So this gives him some extra cash and extends his playing career a bit, a change in scenery might be ideal for him, North get a mature body to help their young forward line (especially Larkey), and we clear salary cap space. Win win for all involved.

Hopefully we get a live pick (eg something in the 40s or 50s) for him, don't expect much better than that.

All the best JD and thanks for the great memories. That third quarter in the 2018 GF will be your legacy.

I think it is more about life after football, there is a pathway for him to go into coaching/development after his football career is over, similar with what we did with Tom Lynch from the Crows who played for a year or two and then transitioned into coaching. it is a bit like getting an extra assistant early who can coach from the field.

We just haven't had the mature players to provide on-field leadership in recent times, especially on the forward line, and even though Darling's football is well past his prime, he was a very good footballer in his prime and he was a guy who relied heavily on work rate and system rather than just being a natural freak and that is probably one of our biggest weaknesses in our forward line that the system breaks down. I am not sure if it will be effective or not I can understand why we are interested. It is going to be less about how many goals he kicks and more about how he can help to develop the forward line and his transition into coaching/development.

Basically the same with what we did with Petrie and Mitchell, on field leadership and then coaching.

I personally think he'll be good for North and North fans will ultimately be satisfied with it.

There aren't that many player's spewing about Ross Lyon's impact on their careers. Surely we can shop Tom to Saint Kilda for pick 7 if they're interested. Hawthorn's spread forward line trick was figured out by Port, who also denied them the short option in the corridor, forced them into long kicks down the line. Mitchell is good but not the messiah of coaching.
I'd be suggesting to his agent to broaden his horizon to other Victorian clubs. We cant let him leave for anything outside a top 10 pick.
Surely we can light StKildas fire with them losing Battle. (And gaining a free pick from the AFL)
Saints, you need a KPD.
At the very least, having 2 teams bidding helps us. We need all we can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a Jack Darling equivalent of a KPD that we could pick up?

I get the feeling the Darling trade will be a lot less than we expect.

He'll be traded for a token pick (pick 58) and us possibly picking up part of his salary as well.
We could have darling playing in the wafl on 800k and we would still struggle to hit the salary floor .

The whole point is we pay his salary to get a usable pick . Basic pick purchasing .
Sam Mitchell who came to us after 2016 is different because we took his salary .

Wonder what his career would have been like if we'd bulked him up and just played him as a key forward.

View attachment 2112398
Yeah, our development has left a lot to be desired over the years as well.
Would say there was a reason the "best" key position player in the draft slipped to pick 13 though, we just didn't see it and muffed the pick. Can almost guarantee our original plan in that draft was to go Oscar Allen at 13, Tim Kelly at 21 and Ryan next. Could have got Sam Taylor with the pick we ended up taking Ryan at. Shame we didn't stick to that plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back