List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

What!!

22 is potentially 3 spots lower than Hawks F1st. If they win the flag there first is pick 18.

And north aren't giving 22 for darling no matter how much we pay. They might give 40, and I'm keeping that for a late slider this draft.

If Hawks want darling 13 and F1 is it. Nada mas. Basta.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I know, I'm talking about "getting " pick 22 from North for Darling ... I can see Hawks giving up 2 first rounders.

WEST COAST
Trade out:
Junior Rioli, picks No.2, 40
Trade in: Picks No.8, 12, 2023 second-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide), 2023 third-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

It’s widely accepted that 2 was traded for 8 and 12 leaving the remainder was the Rioli deal which we stupidly bundled into it. The future picks became 2023 pick 40 (traded) and 49 (Johnston).

So essentially we traded Rioli and pick 40 for F2 (40) and Johnston.

We then traded 40 and F3 (2024 pick 41) for 38 (Hall). So the net result is Rioli, 2022 pick 40 and 2024 pick 41 for Hall and Johnston.

It was a terrible deal, we essentially gave him away after the ensuing deals.
I love the bloke for 2018, but he was 2 minutes from walking away from football. We had no leverage.

Need Clay Hall to come good.

It definitely won’t be 5 and it probably won’t be 10.

Hawthorn are just entering their window, they are not some beat up old team like Collingwood on their last legs at the end of their window or ready to implode like Melbourne.

Hawthorn will be a lot better with Barrass and Battle in their backline not worse.

If we end up exchanging our F2 for Hawthorn’s F1 it will continue our tradition of limp waisted trading.
Willi Rioli just about won the game for PA and we traded him for #40 or something.

Development is not linear. Teams do not automatically keep improving every year.

Hawks will get a harder draw in 2025 and they got on a pretty decent winning g run this year.

Two new key defenders don't automatically gel with new team-mates and game plans. It often takes a year for players traded in to hit their best. Look at Schultz this year.

So Hawks 2025 finish I don't see as automatically being higher and there is just as much chance they finish lower. This season was very even from 11th to 5th. Very even.

I get the feeling the Darling trade will be a lot less than we expect.

He'll be traded for a token pick (pick 58) and us possibly picking up part of his salary as well.
Why would we take his salary for nothing in return?

Why would we take his salary for nothing in return?

Because paying $200,000 is better than paying $800,000 for a WAFL player.
Don't be surprised if the Allen and Waterman contracts are also very heavily front loaded, leaving more room to give Harley a huge contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Development is not linear. Teams do not automatically keep improving every year.

Hawks will get a harder draw in 2025 and they got on a pretty decent winning g run this year.

Two new key defenders don't automatically gel with new team-mates and game plans. It often takes a year for players traded in to hit their best. Look at Schultz this year.

So Hawks 2025 finish I don't see as automatically being higher and there is just as much chance they finish lower. This season was very even from 11th to 5th. Very even.
If you're betting against Hawks you are betting on the fact that they are a system team, not a team driven by elite players, and systems can be countered.

They need someone in the midfield to take the next step into elite levels. Will Day the obvious one. Like McDonald as well.

Also, they had super health. 11 of their top 12 possession winners played 22 or more games.

Could easily go sideways next year with a backward step followed by going again in 2026.
1726448675964.png

I was on the Baker train earlier, would definitely help our team whichever area of the ground he plays in but I just think this draft needs to be a real win for us so I don't want to lose any draft capitol in the first 2 rounds which won't be enough for Richmond
I'm also not sure how realistic the PSD threat is in this situation.
I want us to keep pick 3 and take draper,Lalor or Langford. Really hope we don't split it unless 4 is coming back(5 with the ashcroft bid I guess)

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Slip back to 4 if Draper is still on the board....Tell Adelaide you can have our pick 3 for your pick 4 and next years 1st. Then we'll still get a gun mid. Smilie, Lalor, OSullivan, Smith etc... one of them will still be there at 4.

Slip back to 4 if Draper is still on the board....Tell Adelaide you can have our pick 3 for your pick 4 and next years 1st. Then we'll still get a gun mid. Smilie, Lalor, OSullivan, Smith etc... one of them will still be there at 4.
Adelaide are not giving up next year's first to move up one position in this draft for Draper.

I'm sick to death of seeing this being bandied about. Makes this board look stupid.

Because paying $200,000 is better than paying $800,000 for a WAFL player.
Don't be surprised if the Allen and Waterman contracts are also very heavily front loaded, leaving more room to give Harley a huge contract extension.

I can't see us doing that unless we're creating room to bring someone else on. We will have plenty of money to throw around without paying JDs way

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will be really sad that Jack doesn’t get to 300 with us, but it’s simply the right call at every level. Hope we pay heaps and get Pick 40.

Adelaide are not giving up next year's first to move up one position in this draft for Draper.

I'm sick to death of seeing this being bandied about. Makes this board look stupid.
Stranger things have happened, and it doesn't hurt to ask, and they probably will. Doesn't make the board look stupid at all , it's called speculation and we are all entitled to speculate.
What makes the board look stupid is people whingingt about people speculating. ...

The most we will get for a slide from 3 to 4 from the crows would be a late second rounder, so like a F3. Now that's useful for us with Fs acadamy next year, but it won't materialise into another pick in this draft.

This draft, they need picks for Welsh, lukosious, Neal Bullen.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ough’s strengths are his disposal by hand and foot, his power and that he can play on both the inside and outside. Not particularly known for his speed or tank but no doubt will have been working on both this year and I don’t expect him to test poorly.

Van Der Struyf might be the winger you’re thinking of if you’re talking about speed, comfortably runs a sub 3 second 20m sprint. Boxshall if you’re talking about being a good runner.

I like both Artemis and Boxshall as rookie picks. I think Boxshall will go before then and he’ll test well at the combine, both him and Clancy Dennis have huge tanks and if both are still on the board at 59 I think WCE will strongly consider them.
I'd take Artemis has a fouth rounder. My kid played Auskick with him, I've watched him play since then and he is special . One of the quickest in the whole draft, can run all day, takes the game on, high footy IQ, great disposal by foot....he's a sleeper. He'll climb the draft boards after the combine.

What you/we’re talking about is pure speculation.

What we do know is that we will finish below them and probably several positions below them making the trade of F1 for F2 a pick upgrade of a few places. F1 for F2 is not getting a second first rounder when you are trading a high second rounder for it.

Hawthorn are a young team who were 4 points off a prelim at a hostile away ground.

We need to get other potential buyers involved in this trade if this is the best Hawthorn come up with.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back