Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Nathan Fyfe. I think favourably toward JOM. Neither of those blokes are playing consistently better footy than Cerra at present and I think Adam Cerra is a pod person.

"Would you rather have Cerra?"

Is he a straight swap in the midfield for them? Well, no. He's not a D9 dozer/extractor type.

But is he playing better footy and will you be getting more games out of him going forward? Well, yes, he is and, yes, you would.

Cerra, to his credit, played good footy while he was reluctantly here and did the right thing by us when leaving. My concern that he is blank personality wise does nothing to damage the credit he has built in my eyes. And the return on him was, frankly, splendid.

I'd rather Amiss making bank than be missing a blank.

Wow! you're calling me one eyed but you think the coaching staff would select Cerra over Fyfe, O'meara & Aish? that's ludicrous. NOD & Brodie arent in the team, Ras is a sub at best.

I'm just curious, who you can genuinely say, inside who would Cerra replace? there's no way he would replace any of Serong, Brayshaw, Fyfe or O'meara and on current form and favouritism, JL wouldnt put him on a wing over Henry and Aish either. He'd only be fighting for a spot with Johnson and as ive said Johnson has way more upside - he's tougher, taller, and makes better decisions in close.

It's not ludicrous at all. Cerra would easily get selected over those 3 players. Ask any neutral supporter.

Suggesting Henry would get selected ahead of Cerra is insane.

And there's no way Johnson is ahead of him now. I think Johnson can be a better player, but that will take a few years.

I don't really like using stats to demonstrate a point, but SC scores are still a reasonable measure for mids. Serong 111, Cerra 110, Brayshaw 106, JOM 85, Aish 76, Henry 61, Johnson 52 (sub roles don't help), Fyfe 51 (ditto on sub).

Cerra is performing roughly on par with our best 2 mids, and far better than the rest of our mids.

Let's all just agree that Cerra has the worst haircut.

You seem to keep ignoring the wing thing like, even if you think he's not being picked ahead of O'Meara or Johnson (he would be), surely you'd agree he plays ahead of any of the other wing options we had during the year?

Agree to disagree indeed
I said earlier - nope, hes not just taking a wing. Aish is JL's love child, hes not getting that spot, and as of the last 2 weeks, henry has that spot until he fails again. Also, Cerra isnt a winger. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole doesnt work. nevertheless, losing Cerra and getting Amiss is a deal i'd take again and again and again and we as a club are far far better off for it.

I said earlier - nope, hes not just taking a wing. Aish is JL's love child, hes not getting that spot, and as of the last 2 weeks, henry has that spot until he fails again. Also, Cerra isnt a winger. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole doesnt work. nevertheless, losing Cerra and getting Amiss is a deal i'd take again and again and again and we as a club are far far better off for it.
I dont think a single Freo fan will ever disagree that would do the trade every single time but I'm a little stunned you would be this... confident Cerra could not fit into our best 22. Like I wish I could somehow get JL to post on here to tell you he would but all the power to those purple powered goggles of yours

It's not ludicrous at all. Cerra would easily get selected over those 3 players. Ask any neutral supporter.

Suggesting Henry would get selected ahead of Cerra is insane.

And there's no way Johnson is ahead of him now. I think Johnson can be a better player, but that will take a few years.

I don't really like using stats to demonstrate a point, but SC scores are still a reasonable measure for mids. Serong 111, Cerra 110, Brayshaw 106, JOM 85, Aish 76, Henry 61, Johnson 52 (sub roles don't help), Fyfe 51 (ditto on sub).

Cerra is performing roughly on par with our best 2 mids, and far better than the rest of our mids.

Let's all just agree that Cerra has the worst haircut.
whys everyone hating on the buzzcut 🤣 he looks cool

Freo1 does have a point. One of Carlton’s downsides is their lack of speed. Besides Saad, they're a slow side.

Cerra’s inside game has dramatically improved this year though but his inside 50 kicking efficiency hasn't been the same since his Freo days.

I said back then he wasn't worth the 750k we offered him. Happy he's gone.

Sam Mitchell still in denial that he had his arse handed to him by Crowley in the 2013 GF. The latest version by Hodge is that the reason Mitchell only had 12 touches was that he was deliberately putting himself in Sandilands’ hitting zone all day. How that equates to not touching the ball I don’t know.
First of all, why would you accuse Mitchell of being in denial when it was Luke Hodge who made the comment?
Previously it was Clarkson who praised Mitchell for the sacrificial role he played that day. They said it. Not Sammy.

Secondly, I think you misunderstand the point that was made.
Nobody was disrespecting Crowley nor being in "denial" about Mitchell's paltry stats... lol

Sure, the stats don't lie... Crowley kept Mitchell to 12 disposals, well below his usual 30. Nobody denies the great tagging job performed by Crowley that day. But the point is, Mitchell wasn't completely useless. He put the team first by putting himself (and his tagger) in the road of Freo's dominant stoppage work. He knew he was rooted with Crowley wearing him like a glove, but instead of trying to eke out 18, 19, 20 possessions, he put his ego aside and did what was best for the team.

The proof was in the pudding.

In the lead-up finals, Fremantle had destroyed Geelong and Sydney around the stoppages with Sandilands hitting it down to Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Neale.
Hawthorn's ruckmen were similarly dominated by Sandi in the GF and yet they were able to win most of the clearances, including some very decisive clearances leading to goals.

QF: Geel vs Freo... Freo won hitouts 53-16....... Freo won clearances 43-22
PF: Freo vs Syd...... Freo won hitouts 53-30....... Freo won clearances 42-34
GF: Haw vs Freo..... Freo won hitouts 55-27... Hawks won clearances 42-34

Hodge could've spoken about any of the 108 games when Mitchell polled Brownlow votes, but he chose to highlight Mitchell putting the team first and he used the 2013 GF as an example. Because that's the Hawthorn way, mate. Hodge and Mitchell both have more premiership medals (4) than All Australian jumpers (3) because they always did what was best for the team rather than chasing individual glory.

Last edited:
First of all, why would you accuse Mitchell of being in denial when it was Luke Hodge who made the comment?
Previously it was Clarkson who praised Mitchell for the sacrificial role he played that day. They said it. Not Sammy.

Sure, the stats don't lie... Crowley kept Mitchell to 12 disposals, well below his usual 30. Nobody denies the great tagging job performed by Crowley that day. But the point is, Mitchell wasn't completely useless. He put the team first by putting himself (and his tagger) in the road of Freo's dominant stoppage work. He knew he was rooted with Crowley wearing him like a glove, but instead of trying to eke out 18, 19, 20 possessions, he put his ego aside and did what was best for the team.

In the lead-up finals, Fremantle had destroyed Geelong and Sydney around the stoppages with Sandilands hitting it down to Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Neale.

Hawthorn's ruckmen were similarly dominated by Sandi in the GF and yet they were able to win most of the clearances.

Hodge could've spoken about any of the 108 games when Mitchell polled Brownlow votes, but he chose to highlight Mitchell putting the team first and he used the 2013 GF as an example. Because that's the Hawthorn way, mate. Hodge and Mitchell both have more premiership medals (4) than All Australian jumpers (3) because they always did what was best for the team rather than chasing individual glory.
Nice long run.

All valid points. But you’re forgetting one important thing. Mitchell will always hold a place of contempt in Freo supporters hearts, and opinions will be clouded thusly.

Nobody was disrespecting Crowley nor being in "denial" about Mitchell's paltry stats... lol

Hawthorn's ruckmen were similarly dominated by Sandi in the GF and yet they were able to win most of the clearances.

mate were here to take pot shots at a 4x premiership player HOFer hence bringing up how many touches he got in one game that they won, get out of here with this rubbish

anyway, back to it, mitchell and hodge are snipers

Mitchell will always hold a place of contempt in Freo supporters hearts, and opinions will be clouded thusly.

Fair enough...

Although, I never begrudged Fyfe for decking Lewis with that off-the-ball king-hit which cost him the 2014 Brownlow...
It's funny how footy fans wear rose-coloured glasses and only see the opposition snipers. :D
Can you imagine the reaction if Hodge or Mitchell decked Fyfe with a similar hit?

I always take the attitude that AFL footballers are like gladiators. Sometimes, players lash out and make the opposition wear a bruise or two. You won't see me squealing about it. Bring it on, I say. The rougher and dirtier the game is, the better it is. Much better than today's sanitised horseshit with dudes like Sicily missing 3 matches for tackling a player.

Last edited:
Mitchell will always hold a place of contempt in Freo supporters hearts
Fricken Corky Mitchell
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough...

Although, I never begrudged Fyfe for decking Jordan Lewis with this off-the-ball king-hit one year later. It probably cost him a Brownlow... But I always take the attitude that AFL footballers are like gladiators. Sometimes, players lash out and make the opposition wear a bruise or two. You won't see me squealing about it. Bring it on, I say. The rougher and dirtier the game is, the better it is. Much better than today's sanitised horseshit with dudes like Sicily missing 3 matches for tackling a player.

King hit? 😆😆

What are you smoking?

sniffs

It’s so beautiful.

What i hear from my family member who works at The West/Channel 7 and is friends with people like Duffield is that Nisbett and Simpson are still telling the Board that everything will right itself once we go back to a normal run with injuries. They are kind of putting a weighting of 90% on the injuries (i.e. injuries are 90% of the explanation for where we are and everything else is a collective 10%). And the Board are still buying it at this stage. They think they just have to batten down the hatches and get through this period until injuries revert to the mean and even if we won't be anywhere near the top 8 we will be competitive again and the 100 point beltings will be a thing of the past. I think they are totally delusional. Injuries account for 20% of the problem IMO. Our list being crap even if no injuries is 50% of the problem. It is not like we have Oliver, Petracca and Bontempelli waiting on the sidelines ready to come back in. There are no superstars on the injury list. We will just be replacing one plodder with another plodder.

You can kind of see the external evidence of this in the fact they are still refusing an external review and refusing to ask for a PP. Also in the interview Wyatt did the other day where whenever he had brief moments where he stopped reading the script and trotting out the cliches/buzzwords that the club's media department have told them to trot out (i.e. we are hurting too, this is totally unacceptable etc), when he was in an unguarded/unscripted moment where he just said what was in his head rather than what was on the script what did his mind come back around to and what he he choose talk about - injuries. What does Simpson keep trying to bring everything back to in every media engagement he has - injuries. He can't stop talking about the injury list. They really think injuries explains all of it. I really think that we even if we stuck with all of them were still sitting on 1 win for the season in Round 15 2024 he current crew would still be refusing a review and have some external factor that they would be blaming everything on. The capacity of the human mind for delusion and denial is pretty breathtaking when you see it action.

Here's a better angle of it...

What was Fyfe doing then? You tell me...

Oh, completely stupid action and don’t condone it one bit. He’s always had an issue with temper getting the better of him and responding brashly.

I don’t have an issue with people seeing him a thug. As we do Mitchell. that’s tribalism.

But a king hit? I’ve seen buddy do worse damage with elbows that don’t get looked at.

Nice long run.

All valid points. But you’re forgetting one important thing. Mitchell will always hold a place of contempt in Freo supporters hearts, and opinions will be clouded thusly.

Still think this guy is a piece of shit. He knew exactly what he was doing. I also don't buy this nice guy act he's got going on as coach right now, not for one second.

Very saddened today to hear of the passing of former greats of the VFL/AFL, Graham John and Matt Rendell.
John was a former East Perth player that went to the SWans to further himslef. Became captian of the Swans and later coached the tea. Became President, then a Commissioner of the AFL.
Matt Rendell a former South Australian who became a legend of the Fitzroy FC, an dlater the Bears( Lions). Also became a very astute recruiter in latter years.
May they both rest in Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back