Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Vossy will be under the blowtorch this week after the efforts from his team in the last few games. Bottom 6 are average and underperforming and their stars rarely play as a team. Our first week against Port was a very big wake up call.

There is no dare and taking the game on even in final quarter. Not sure what was the plan there, never did switch play or stretching the zone in front of them. Really weird.
They looked tired.

As Dalions said they looked tired last week as well.

Or is it lack of physical capacity to break the game open ? Saints half monstered them today.

I’m 95 per cent on board with the defence of him. I just wish they’d stop calling it a ‘courageous’ decision to come home. It’s an odd thing to call it after a year and it just inflames the issue.
To my mind it was the opposite of courageous to demand to be traded home one year into his initial contract. I dislike him as can imagine him doing it to us, scar tissue from the 'go home 5' i guess...

While the Richmond and Geelong raids on the expansion clubs helped them win Premierships, the opposite has occurred with Essendon and in particular, Carlton.

Although Silvagni was appointed the Blues list manager almost ten years ago the repercussions of that failed list rebuild are still being felt today.

This not to excuse what Vossy's team is producing on the paddock but there is no way Carlton will give him the chance to help get this team right. There is just too much ordinary under the top half dozen players and unless he can implement a modern gameplan with purpose, on the fly, then he will be gone.

tl;dr Poor Vossy.

While the Richmond and Geelong raids on the expansion clubs helped them win Premierships, the opposite has occurred with Essendon and in particular, Carlton.

Although Silvagni was appointed the Blues list manager almost ten years ago the repercussions of that failed list rebuild are still being felt today.

This not to excuse what Vossy's team is producing on the paddock but there is no way Carlton will give him the chance to help get this team right. There is just too much ordinary under the top half dozen players and unless he can implement a modern gameplan with purpose, on the fly, then he will be gone.

tl;dr Poor Vossy.

Not poor Vossy, his gameplan has been lacklustre at best. He has them playing extremely predictable football.

Not poor Vossy, his gameplan has been lacklustre at best. He has them playing extremely predictable football.
I probably should have provided some context for Poor Vossy. Our greatest player and our best Captain is going to lose his job if he cant turn this around (he cant for reasons that i explained in my post) and will never coach at this level again. I couldn't give a flying if Carlton fail.

tl;dr Poor Vossy

Interesting tactic from multiple teams on kick ins. It looks like they've stopped kicking to the pack for their tall players to run and jump. Instead it looks like they're aiming for a spot on the ground right next to boundary line. The 1on1 player whoever is close to it - his job is to ensure he provides a contest and takes the ball out of bounds for a ball up.

I've seen fremantle do it regularly and now even Carlton is doing the same. If everything is 1on1 up the field just forget about the player, instead aim at a spot close to the boundary line and go for it.

Interesting tactic from multiple teams on kick ins. It looks like they've stopped kicking to the pack for their tall players to run and jump. Instead it looks like they're aiming for a spot on the ground right next to boundary line. The 1on1 player whoever is close to it - his job is to ensure he provides a contest and takes the ball out of bounds for a ball up.

I've seen fremantle do it regularly and now even Carlton is doing the same. If everything is 1on1 up the field just forget about the player, instead aim at a spot close to the boundary line and go for it.

Pushes the set defence back as well with the stoppage, prob a stat which shows a kick to that spot reduces scores against by X greater than the contest where it just pings around.

Pushes the set defence back as well with the stoppage, prob a stat which shows a kick to that spot reduces scores against by X greater than the contest where it just pings around.

Agreed, I was surprised when Hayden Young went bang randomly in a Freo game and it just landed exactly few meters before the boundary and the player near it created a contest to take it out. Carlton did it today a couple of times during kick ins.

Even if the players end up out of position, it was a simple way to create a contest and make sure it doesn't get marked. Far better result than giving away an opposition mark that may come straight back in.

Gold Coast did a few times in the brief moments I saw their game.

looks like we're going to get the 2 teams most under the pump back to back in fremantle and carlton

Carlton will beat WCE by 20 goals next week and all will be well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joey Montagna just played a montage of WB players throwing the ball in Friday nights game. Will be interesting to see if the umps start calling them.
If you have been throwing the ball for x years without penalty I imagine you would feel rightfully agreived as you were being unfaily penalised ... after all if it was a serious rule it would have been enforced all along and the umpires, by their silence, had approved the action time after time after time. Such a radical change as enforcing the rules would need to be announced before the end of the season to be applied from the start of the season after to allow teams to draft/trade/train to meet the new conditions ... you couldn't expect reflexes so ingrained over 5,10 or 15 years as to instictive to be overturned without a sufficient grace period.

I started that as a satirical comment but realised by the time I finished that it is, to a certain extent, quite true ... sadly :(

They looked tired.

As Dalions said they looked tired last week as well.

Or is it lack of physical capacity to break the game open ? Saints half monstered them today.
I'm think 6 of their 8 goals came from free kicks.Not a sustainable game plan except for Western Bulldogs

Joey Montagna just played a montage of WB players throwing the ball in Friday nights game. Will be interesting to see if the umps start calling them.
Boiled my blood seeing that. Boiled my blood when the panel laughed it off. When is someone in the media going to hold the umpires’ feet to the flame over this? It’s blatant cheating! AFL Inc. pissing all over this once great game. 😡

Sheezel with a quite game based off the stats sheet of a game I never looked at. Only the 11 disposals
GC played someone on him and eventually got moved forward (have him on my fantasy team which is the only reason I know this :) )

Boiled my blood seeing that. Boiled my blood when the panel laughed it off. When is someone in the media going to hold the umpires’ feet to the flame over this? It’s blatant cheating! AFL Inc. pissing all over this once great game. 😡

I don't really understand how handballing backwards over the head/shoulder doesn't constitute a throw.

Mostly the platform hand/arm moves in unison with the striking fist/arm so the ball isn't really struck off the guiding hand.

I'm sure one of our boffins can explain?

But the AFL do want a fast moving game with less interruptions so most throws just get a wink and it's play on.

Having said that high hand balling teams, who are usually the biggest culprits, may thrive in the home and away period but that system falls apart in September when the whips are cracking and the pressure is red hot.

Phone posting but part of the problem is that while the rules define a legal handball (hitting the ball with a closed fist while being held in the other hand) and what a throw is ("given its ordinary meaning" as well as the act of propelling the ball with a scooping motion using one or two hands), it doesn't provide clear guidance on what happens when an act meets both definitions. I'd argue that the throw supersedes the legal definition of a handball but that's clearly not how the umpires have been told to interpret it.

And that's ignoring umpires not knowing the difference between dropping the ball in a tackle and "genuinely attempting to correctly dispose of the football" (eg. trying to drop a football onto your boot and missing) when there's been no prior opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back