Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That non 50 had me speechless.
At the end of the day in that situation it is easier for an umpire to err on the side of caution and afterwards rely on the afl to back them with a potential “there was enough doubt in it” excuse, rather than have the bravery to call it in front of a hostile crowd.

That non 50 had me speechless.
At the end of the day in that situation it is easier for an umpire to err on the side of caution and afterwards rely on the afl to back them with a potential “there was enough doubt in it” excuse, rather than have the bravery to call it in front of a hostile crowd.
Indeed, but its becoming clear (at least in my mind) that they are happy to make the 'brave' calls against interstate teams as well as North or the Saints. From memory a lot of bad decisions over the last couple of years against Adelaide, GWS, the Goldy, Freo and North. Very, Very, Very unlikely to see any of the big VIC clubs 'robbed' late in a game.

Maybe?

dlanod are you one of the people in the crowd chanting “we are the giants”?

Don’t think he’s as passionate about the giants as you are about the mighty suns.

Indeed, but its becoming clear (at least in my mind) that they are happy to make the 'brave' calls against interstate teams as well as North or the Saints. From memory a lot of bad decisions over the last couple of years against Adelaide, GWS, the Goldy, Freo and North. Very, Very, Very unlikely to see any of the big VIC clubs 'robbed' late in a game.

Maybe?

Off the top of my head in recent times, Adelaide have been on the rough end of the stick in the dying minutes against big Vic clubs recently - Clear high on Dawson not called vs Collingwood not called, Rankine running too far vs Collingwood, Draper playing dead on the ball vs Essendon.

Also, surely subbing Phillips off who was blanketing Naicos is tantamount to tanking because I cannot see any other reason you would do that...

There was no grey there unlike the Max King one last week.
They simply have to come out and say that it should have been a 50.

They also need to quiz that umpire as to his reasons for not awarding it.

Just saying it "should " have ben 50 is cold comfort.

Umpires need to be held accountable for dreadful decisions or "non decisions" as in this case

Last edited:
They also need to quiz that umpire as to his reasons for not awarding it.

Just saying it "should " have ben 50 is cold comfort.

Umpires need to be held accountable for dreadful decisions or "non decisions" in this case
And I will be more surprised than not when the VIC media barely make any sort of deal about the non50; it will all be about the comeback and patronising North on how well they played but barely will anything be said about the countless non HTB on Daicos and other questionable incidents.

dlanod are you one of the people in the crowd chanting “we are the giants”?
I was the one in the crowd going "I have to watch one of these teams play again next week?"

And then I realised I'd probably be watching both of them.

And then I realised I have to preview one of them. Maybe I'll just pull a tarp over the entire preview.

I was the one in the crowd going "I have to watch one of these teams play again next week?"

And then I realised I'd probably be watching both of them.

And then I realised I have to preview one of them. Maybe I'll just pull a tarp over the entire preview.

Thats the spirit! More of these references in the preview please, by request

Quick update on the seeds. No ins and outs this week but the gap has closed to those just outside, so we could see some more movement in the coming weeks. The Bulldogs v Freo game in particular could have a big impact here.

#1 - Sydney 157%
#2 - Western Bulldogs 122%
#3 - Collingwood 122%
#4 - GWS 116%

We are back up to #6 this week @ 114%, on the back of an exceptionally strong showing against a highly ranked opponent. The model has us beating St Kilda (#15 @ 83%) on Friday night by 21 points, in the lowest scoring game of the round.

As far as I can tell, this coming round marks the first of the double up meetings of the season, with the Bulldogs playing Freo on Saturday. So I thought it was a good opportunity to take a look at the teams where my ranking is quite different to their actual percentage, and why that might be the case.

#1 - Port Adelaide: Actual percentage 112% vs my model 92% (#13) - this is a huge discrepancy given they've played 12 of 17 possible opponents. So I had a bit of a dig into why. The 5 teams they are yet to play are Sydney, the Bulldogs, GWS (this week), us and Gold Coast. Obviously that's 3 of the 4 seedings, us at #6, and the Suns who I have at #9. So this suggests to me that they have had a pretty easy draw so far.

#2 - Adelaide: Actual percentage 107% vs my model 91% (#14) - funnily enough, Adelaide's ladder position basically matches my model, even tho their actual percentage is indicative of a 5-8 team. Close losses to Gold Coast, Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond have been more than offset by thumping wins over North and West Coast. Similar to Port, they are yet to play Sydney (this week), the Bulldogs, GWS and St Kilda.

#3 - Collingwood: Actual percentage 108% vs my model 122% (#3) - this goes the other way; Collingwood have arguably had the toughest draw so far. They are yet to play North, Richmond, Gold Coast and Geelong. So you would expect that when they play North (this week) and Richmond, they will get a bit of a fill up on their percentage, which will bring them more into line with where I have them.

#4 - St Kilda: Actual percentage 93% vs my model 83% (#15) - yet to play Sydney, us (this week), Carlton (#7) and Adelaide. So 3 of the top 7 there.
There's movement at the station... and it's not who I thought!

Collingwood
Baseball Youre Out GIF by WAX

#1 - Sydney 155%
#2 - Western Bulldogs 131%
#3 - GWS 118% (up 1)
#4 - Carlton 112% (up 3) - Carlton actually rise from #7 this week without even playing a game. They've gone past Collingwood, Fremantle and us, all putting in worse than expected performances.

Collingwood crash to #8 @ 107%. North are #18 (59%) so the model marks their 1 point win very harshly.

With Collingwood falling below us while we fall below Carlton, we end up back where we started - still at #6 but having given up a bit of percentage, now back to 109%, on a poorer than expected performance against St Kilda.

The model has us beating Port by 16 points on Saturday. As per my post on Tuesday, it does not like Port at all, ranking them #14 @ 90%. Not that this counted for much when we played Hawthorn!

Just watched the non 50 again after only viewing it once.

The guy who marked it was actually backpedalling because he thought the Pies players were going to tackle him, before he saw no way out and took off.

Honestly that is just an unforgivable miss by the umps.

Unfathomable.

Just watched the non 50 again after only viewing it once.

The guy who marked it was actually backpedalling because he thought the Pies players were going to tackle him, before he saw no way out and took off.

Honestly that is just an unforgivable miss by the umps.

Unfathomable.

Unfathomable is one way of putting it.

I prefer gutless choke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane doubling down and backing both incidents involving Bailey Scott saying the AFL was correct.

Again; they’re utter morons and plainly wrong but what seriously can you expect with incompetent people running the game

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1153771

Kane doubling down and backing both incidents involving Bailey Scott saying the AFL was correct.

Again; they’re utter morons and plainly wrong but what seriously can you expect with incompetent people running the game

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1153771
Such a weird explanation too. Still saying the umpire made an error but was by not calling play on...what?? The last two weeks it feels like they are desperate to protect their umpires at all costs down to outright lying about the decisions that should have been paid

Such a weird explanation too. Still saying the umpire made an error but was by not calling play on...what?? The last two weeks it feels like they are desperate to protect their umpires at all costs down to outright lying about the decisions that should have been paid
Given there hasn't been a call of play on during a back peddle after the mark regardless of how wonky the player got in the last decade or more of games I've been watching, this one is really a mindblowing attempt to find some fake justification. And I notice this because some players' efforts to "back peddle" metres inbound are ridiculous and piss me off. At worst the umpire stops and tells the player they need to move back to their line, it's never play on.

Given there hasn't been a call of play on during a back peddle after the mark regardless of how wonky the player got in the last decade or more of games I've been watching, this one is really a mindblowing attempt to find some fake justification. And I notice this because some players' efforts to "back peddle" metres inbound are ridiculous and piss me off. At worst the umpire stops and tells the player they need to move back to their line, it's never play on.
And then she says the touched was inconclusive. Is she blind? You could clearly see Scott’s fingers going back as he’s touching the ball. Why doesn’t she just admit that the ARC doesn’t review every single goal kicked because she’s a deadset liar if that touches was inconclusive. I’d be livid if I was a North fan; in fact I’m livid anyway because the VFL is constantly screwing non Victorian clubs and to a lesser extent the smaller Victorian clubs like North as if bloody Collingwood needed any more help.

Yeah it clearly looked like Scott changed his line when the Collingwood players started charging towards him. She is in essence saying the Collingwood players were justified in deciding it shouldn't have been a mark instead of playing to the whistle which is just crazy. In fact to go one step further she's actually saying Collingwood were disadvantaged because their players should have been able to lay a tackle on Scott preventing the inside 50!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back