Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Finey's final siren coming up on SEN :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

5aa is gold right now.

Josh just called in and said Ports history isn’t real and they focus too much on that and not enough on footy and then hosts immediately said you’re not real Josh and killed the call.

I have to admit, you’ve gotta feel for the Port fans after repeated whippings in Finals at Home.
Can understand the frustration.
Hard to imagine Kenny keeping his job after that, unless they win the Premiership from here.

I have to admit, you’ve gotta feel for the Port fans after repeated whippings in Finals at Home.
Hard to imagine Kenny keeping his job after that, unless they win the Premiership from here.
I will never feel sorry for Port supporters

It's a win win for port supporters this year.

If they lose, they'll get rid of Ken.
If they win, they win the whole lot.
Either way they should be pleased.

Until we make the Prelim and lose😩?

On a more serious note.
You don’t think we can beat Geelong?
If we make it to there yes I think we could beat them but it's a harder task than it looked a couple of weeks ago.

They'll be refreshed and full of confidence that their game plan will hold up so even if we make it a contest they'll keep coming. The flipside is they hardly had a hitout last night and then another week off to come in as hot favourites they could be ripe for a drop off. The problem Geelong now pose is whatever he's done with them the last few weeks their bottom 6 or 7 players aren't weakies any more . They're disciplined and don't cough it up.

There's also the factor of what sort of shape we'll be in by then. Let's see how things stack up if we get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im starting to wonder if Port have Scully/Trengrove'd Rozee and Butters. They are brilliant young players but so much has been put on the two of them and they just get absolutely battered week in week out. I can see them getting burnt out way too fast if things stay the way they are

Im starting to wonder if Port have Scully/Trengrove'd Rozee and Butters. They are brilliant young players but so much has been put on the two of them and they just get absolutely battered week in week out. I can see them getting burnt out way too fast if things stay the way they are
Rozee needs to build up if he wants to continue to be a gun in the midfield. They were all over him last night. He still did some good things but didn't have much physical backup around him.

If we make it to there yes I think we could beat them but it's a harder task than it looked a couple of weeks ago.

They'll be refreshed and full of confidence that their game plan will hold up so even if we make it a contest they'll keep coming. The flipside is they hardly had a hitout last night and then another week off to come in as hot favourites they could be ripe for a drop off. The problem Geelong now pose is whatever he's done with them the last few weeks their bottom 6 or 7 players aren't weakies any more . They're disciplined and don't cough it up.

There's also the factor of what sort of shape we'll be in by then. Let's see how things stack up if we get there.
Port played right into their hands last night, like we did earlier in the year.
Hopefully we have learnt a thing or 2 since then.
Obviously we have a couple of games to get through first,
But as much as anything it is about taking your chances and make them pay.
If we can get the next 2 wins we will be coming in with as much confidence as they have right now.

Until we make the Prelim and lose😩?

On a more serious note.
You don’t think we can beat Geelong?
One interesting facet is that we belted Port over there in much the same way that Geelong belted them.

The one thing I query with Geelong is their defence without Stewart. They can get a bit panicky under pressure which they saw none of last night.

Anyway immaterial until we get there.

I think our 2 midfields are similar

Rozee=clug
Butters=Neale
Drew/Wines=Dunkley/Berry
JHF>Rayner

Issue with them is they're even less defensively accountable than us so the clearances they lose hurt.

Plus Oscar is more capable than Sweet or Soldo

Having listened to talkback radio after their game and read their now infamous thread about Ken, if Port fans had their way, no jokes, Ken would be sacked today in time for Josh Carr to take up the reign in time for their next finals against Dogs/ Hawks.

Rozee=clug
Butters=Neale
Drew/Wines=Dunkley/Berry
JHF>Rayner

Issue with them is they're even less defensively accountable than us so the clearances they lose hurt.

Wines is a shadow of what he was , Butters went off , so some bullocking work went on to JHF.

Looking at it now they didn't have much to go with and Geelong were made to look a whole lot better than what they are.

Rozee=clug
Butters=Neale
Drew/Wines=Dunkley/Berry
JHF>Rayner

Our last 5 games v Port:

Round 15 this year - we won clearances by 15, contested ball by 40
Qualifying final - lost clearances by 4, contested ball by 4
Round 1 last year - lost clearances by 9, contested ball by 34
Round 1 2022 - lost clearances by 1, we won contested ball by 1.
Round 7 2021 - we won clearances by 3, contested ball by 19.

If they don't smash you in the middle and you have some semblance of quality, then you have an advantage. Recruiting BZT and big Sav to fix the defence didn't work, Georgiades and Rioli are solid-good forwards but the rest are awful. We've lost once to them in 8 games and that was perhaps our worst midfield performance since we started playing finals.

The Shinboner had a great section in their finals dossier on Port Adelaide covering how their defence can be exposed using our round 15 game against them:https://theshinboner.com/2024/08/28...ton-farrell-hinkley-horne-francis-drew-wines/

The Round 15 Notebook had a deep dive into Port’s defensive issues, some of which will be replayed here.

Until the last nine weeks – and it may pop up again in finals – Port’s base defensive structure wasn’t covering the space they needed to at the starting point. So when their pressure in the immediate vicinity of possession wasn’t up to scratch, they got exposed.

Think of it this way: Although an AFL ground is anywhere between 155-170 metres long and 115-140 metres wide, really the game is constantly played in roughly a 90-metre long and 65-metre wide block – give or take a few metres for specific situations – as both teams shift up and down, left and right.

What it means is when a team defends, they need to first be able to cover that base area, and from there shift in any direction when required.

Port’s problems come when their pressure drops off and their foundation often isn’t close to covering said base area at the starting point.

The way Port Adelaide defend would be a great way to stop … Port Adelaide (and Sydney!). It’s almost as if their defence is set up to stop teams (…and Sydney) playing the way they do.

So when teams like Brisbane come up against the same defence they’ve handled consistently in recent years – seven wins from their last eight clashes – it’s a straightforward solution. It’s not even full switches, just slight shifts on subtle angles, time and time again.

When Port’s pressure is on, weaknesses turn into strengths, because this defensive setup is primed to get forward in aggressive positions. But strengths turn into weaknesses when it’s not on and they leak on the scoreboard.

Earlier we touched on the midfield advantage in wins. When the aggression is neutralised, it suddenly becomes a liability. In Port’s losses this year they’re only -7 in total clearances, but -100 in points from clearances, conceding scores at a ridiculous rate.

There shouldn’t be any route where their midfield, as balanced as it is with all the different types of players to call upon, is a key point in most of their losses.

It comes back to the same conundrum they’re directed to play with: their strength is their weakness, their weakness can turn into a strength, round and round we go. The ability to adapt hasn’t been there yet, but they’re forced into adapting in one key area of their game.

If you’re telling me that Collingwood game cost us having to take on that port team that showed up last night and missing out on a home prelim then I’ll be damned

The Collingwood game, the crows game, the gws game, the Carlton game, the freo game and so on

Take your pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back