Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Loser Geelong supporters crying yet again.....didn't stop you from being arrogant pricks from the onset of victory last year.

The Norm Smith was 100% right. Hodge played a pivotal role down back.

Selwood was a better player today than Ablett. Why??? Selwood busted his ass in and around the packs, and did all the hard work. Ablett got all the clean posessions, and dodged and sidestepped players, yeah skilled, but Selwood IMO worked harder than Ablett, and I give him as Geelongs best player.

Wonder how Smug Geelong supporters are now:D

Luke Hodge was great today, not taking away from that, the simple fact is that Gary Ablett, like his father in a losing GF against Hawthorn 20 seasons earlier was clearly best on ground.

Kicks: 12
Handballs: 22
Efficiency: 85%
Goals: 2
Clearances: 8:eek:
Tackles: 5

Hodge was basically playing his spare man in defence role again (which he does extremely well), while Ablett carried his team for most of the game.
IMHO Abletts performance today was Judd and Bucklley like (2002,2005)

And spoils??

Do they count??

Ran off hid man and spoiled the opp on about 10 occasions.

FFS mate dont look at stas look at the game

hodge was awesome but Dew won them the game his 5 minute burst in the 3/4 is one of the best i've seen! and I know you can't win a normsmith for playing 5 minutes but if you could he would have won it!

Ablett was clearly the best for Geelong but all the blokes who have won the NS in a losing side were in teams that got beaten by a narrow margin. 5 goals is too big a loss to receive the medal.

In a nutshell. It was out of Hodge and Ablett but when you lose by 4 or 5 goals someone in the opposition side has played a pretty good game. If the Cats had only lost by a few points I think Ablett would have won it.

Sometimes I read these posts and think "what game were these people watching?"

Hodge was deservedly awarded the Norm Smith...at least 3 others ahead of Ablett.
Believe what you see not what you read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Judd and Buckley shouldn't have won their's. I know the Norm Smith is technically for BOG, but really unless there is an amazingly standout performance (ie. Ablett in 89) it should always go to the winning team's best player.

The Norm Smith Medal is awarded to the player which an independent panel of experts have adjudged to have been the best player in the match.

It has nothing to do with the winning team.

The only reason that there is some correlation is because the winning team generally includes the best player on the ground.

The Norm Smith isn't designed to be circumstantial. It's not for the romantics. Hence it does not have to be awarded to a player from the winning side.

Well done Hawthorn. Well done Luke Hodge. Bad luck Ablett.

Hodge was easily Hawthorn's best over 4/4. If he wasn't there I reckon they may have been well behind at half time. I think he was the only one that was on for the whole game with others putting in cameos for quarter/half or 5 minute bursts.
Hodge, Rioli, Young and Bateman were the reason they were in front at half time.

Congrats to the hawks 4 winning but
Ablett>>>daylight>>> rest of the players. Ablett was that much better than everone else it wasnt even close

Are you saying that Ablett had more of an influence on the result?

Well done Luke Hodge, a very worthy winner of the Norm Smith Medal!

Hodge deserved it, he influenced the game, prepared to leave his man and help out another defender, the problem with geelong is they didn't use Hodge opponent enough.

Ablett was great and if the umpires had voted he would have won it, how many times does he get caught with the ball and no free kick against, inconsistent umpiring - he was geelongs best though.

Ellis was superb, absolute superb but Hodge excellent!

As much as he is wrong when saying Hodge didn't deserve it they do want a story when picking the Norm. I made a fair bit last year on Stevie J because I though if he was in the top 5 on the ground he would get it for the "Villain to Hero" story. This year the Hodge ribs story is a great one.

I think giving the NS to Crawf would've given a better story, but that's just me

Hodge was easily Hawthorn's best over 4/4. If he wasn't there I reckon they may have been well behind at half time. I think he was the only one that was on for the whole game with others putting in cameos for quarter/half or 5 minute bursts.
Hodge, Rioli, Young and Bateman were the reason they were in front at half time.

Disagree slightly, as Young was just as good as Hodge until 1/2 time imo.
After that Hodge continued on with his form , while Young copped an injury.
Both players kept the Hawks alive before the main break.......as well as the Cats inept efforts in front of goal.

I went to the Game and picked Hodge as the winner after the siren. :thumbsu:
Also thought that Cyril Rioli and Dew probably won the game for the Dawks in the 3rd quarter. Those bursts changed the momentum. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back