North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton cheated the salary cap for 20 years!!

Wow!

I never knew. Can you point me towards that article that states Carlton cheated for 20 years?
After the 2002 AFL season, Elliott was voted out of office as president of the Carlton Football Club, a position he had held for two decades, since 1983.

Its actually on Jack's Wiki

Probably expected more for all the begging and grovelling. Not sure what North have received makes up for their complete loss of dignity but these are desperate times for the worst side since Fitzroy.

Worst side since Fitzroy?

Fitzroy (1977-1996) last 20 years of existence - 170 home and away wins, 4 finals wins.

Carlton (2003-2022) last 20 years - 155 home and away wins, 2 finals wins.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think any North fans were honestly expecting anything near the GC package, that was the most ridiculous leg up in history.

But a 2nd and 3rd (that we must trade or forfeit apparently) maybe gets us a decent player in Logue, who we've given a big contract to in order to come over as well.

Meanwhile Geelong, Richmond, Collingwood, Brisbane etc. have players queuing up to join them as FA's or just demanding trades. The joke of this "equalization" measure is that the rich will keep getting richer and the rest are expected to be thankful at the scraps thrown to us by the AFL.
I have literally had North fans telling me they have a super talented young list, coaching and mature players were the issue.

They have the coaching issue addressed and have now been given a means to add mature players without sacrificing currency to keep adding young talent.

this dismantling the list argument is pretty inaccurate, the out and out champions we got rid of were good enough for 17th, the problem wasn’t getting rid of them it was having them on the list in the first place.
And whose fault is that? The AFL's? The rest of the comp's? You can't gut your list in one off season and then expect the AFL to bail you out because you couldn't replace all those spuds that you willingly drafted/traded for with superstars immediately. It's ****ing madness.

And whose fault is that? The AFL's? The rest of the comp's? You can't gut your list in one off season and then expect the AFL to bail you out because you couldn't replace all those spuds that you willingly drafted/traded for with superstars immediately. It's ******* madness.
Did you miss where I said I’m not quibbling about the machinations of this package, honestly I don’t really care either way.

I’m just challenging the “we slashed our list to get bailed out” nonsense, I’m just suggesting the delistings were necessary. That’s all.

only doesnt pay when its north apparently

other clubs got their first round priority picks
Long, long time ago

Well run clubs shouldn't be penalised by rewarding poorly managed clubs with PPs. Personally I had no problem with the pick 19 awarded to Brisbane after the "Go home five" episode nor the package awarded to Gold Coast who were dreadfully poorly set up by the AFL and operate in hostile NRL territory.

The previous largesse extended to many clubs was BS, that North didn't get one in those days is bad luck, the AFL world has moved on

An awful lot of North posters had convinced themselves they were getting multiple high picks for having turned themselves into trash, taunted every poster from other clubs gloating about what they were getting - deluded thinking it turns out, all those other clubs posters having a quiet chuckle about the now fuming North gloaters, cheers :)

Did you miss where I said I’m not quibbling about the machinations of this package, honestly I don’t really care either way.

I’m just challenging the “we slashed our list to get bailed out” nonsense, I’m just suggesting the delistings were necessary. That’s all.
No I didn't but honestly, what was the point of slashing the list in such a harsh manner? Did you honestly think you could just replace half your list with better players straight away and it would all be sweet? There's a few clubs with below average lists :eyes: and I don't think I've ever seen one cut so hard so quick. You can't do that and then beg for handouts because the inevitable result occurred.

Yeah good thing they're protecting other clubs from North.

Meanwhile fresh off their preliminary final Brisbane can look forward to the the #1 draft pick as a F/S and Dunkley for their late 1st rounder.

Absolutely laughable. Equalization in this comp is a joke.
Do something about it this year, unlike last year when you gave a cheap hit to the Pies and Dogs, this year make sure you bid on Ashcroft at pick 1 to make sure you cause maximum pain.

That was a big mistake last year, just so you could anoint the petulant JHF as pick one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never seen a person actively barrack for their team being shit with the confident assumption that they will be rewarded for it.

Sweet justice the Ziebull

No I didn't but honestly, what was the point of slashing the list in such a harsh manner? Did you honestly think you could just replace half your list with better players straight away and it would all be sweet? There's a few clubs with below average lists :eyes: and I don't think I've ever seen one cut so hard so quick. You can't do that and then beg for handouts because the inevitable result occurred.
No, I think we slashed the list because if we hadn’t we’d be kicking the can down the road a couple of years and be in the same position we are now in two years time with no real difference in position in the interim.

I do think we expected 2021 to be shit but 2022 to show improvement, assuming that our more experienced players would have more impact. That didn’t happen for many reasons.

Please note that most clubs did have to trim pretty heavily due to reduced list sizes as a result of Covid.

Of our delistings/trades over the 2020 and 2021 offseason who has really had any impact at afl level

The following played matches after leaving north:

Brown
Higgins
Wood
Dumont
Durdin

None of which have been in particularly stellar form at their new clubs. We took a punt on Stephenson using the higgins currency but that hasn’t panned out.

I’m not sure if Daw or Campbell played any afl games at Melbourne

But the narrative is framing that the club made the decision to make the delistings to tank or to access PPs which is what I am disagreeing with.

I think it’s completely fine to say priority picks shouldn’t be a thing for losing games and to be fair I somewhat agree (again I’m not phased either way with todays announcement). All I’m saying is I don’t think north delisted those players for any other reason than keeping them on would lead to more long term pain.

I've had a lot of laughs about this announcement following the taunts and jeers of North posters confidently claiming they are getting their first round priority pick that is rightfully theirs.

However, I do feel bad for them. Every year we have to endure the supreme confidence of North fans claiming that this is the year they get their prized target:

Dustin Martin
Josh Kelly
Andrew Gaff
Priority picks
War chests
"It's happening"

What's the outcome?
Jared Polec
Dom Tyson
Aaron Hall
Aiden Corr
Aiden Bonar
Lachie Young
Jayden Stephenson
Callum Coleman Jones.
Future 2nd
Future 3rd
Few other duds not worth mentioning.

So at the end of the day it looks like their exhaulted "big fish" is Griffen Logue, paid for by the AFL.

They just cannot attract serious talent. It's a shame. Hopefully with Clarko they can attract some decent players in the future and their draftees develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back