North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy seeing a team get absolutely pumped every week, I really do. But it's also kind of unfair.

Geelong are coming off a prelim, and they get to pump North Melbourne twice this season, 112 points and 60 points a piece. In a close season where percentage will likely come into play that's a massive advantage (it's also bullshit they were fixtured the bottom team twice but anyway).

The draft is full of inequalities anyway, ie, the Dogs get the number 1 draft pick a few years after a flag in some academy bullshit, and then follow that up the next year with another Top 5 pick because of father-son? That's way more egregious than a bottom of the ladder rabble getting a priority pick.

That said, I don't think that North Melbourne's problem is young talent, so a first round priority pick isn't going to help too much in the short term outside of stacking them with talent that might help them become a more appealing destination. But some other assistance- money, increasing the footy department soft cap, additional list spots and (later) draft picks which they can trade or use in the draft... sure.

Last edited:
I think most posters on here would agree North need some assistance. It's just a matter of what that looks like. If I were the AFL I would give them a two part support package.

Part 1
Two middle of first round (pick 11) priority picks, this year and next. This would come with a condition they must involve at least one of those picks in a trade for a player or they lose the other one. So if they trade for a player with this years pick they're free to do whatever they want with next years pick 11, or if they take this years pick 11 to the draft they must use the 2023 pick in next years trade period or they forfeit it just before next years draft.

Part 2
An increase in the soft cap allowance for the next 2-3 years. They've just sacked their current coach and are holding a review. The review may also decide other coaches need to go. North will need to pay overs anyway to recruit a decent new head coach and possible more assistant/line coaches. What aspiring coach really wants to go there at the moment? I don't know exactly how the tax works if clubs exceed the cap or even the current $ amount of it but I know North need help in this regard too.

I think it's easy to say if they get a priority pick, it needs to be traded. In reality what are they going to get for a pick 19 say? Like someone said before, until players can be traded against their will it will be so hard to coerce someone to come and spend 2-3 years at the bottom of the ladder
That's why it has to be coupled with salary cap flexibility.

I think most posters on here would agree North need some assistance. It's just a matter of what that looks like. If I were the AFL I would give them a two part support package.

Part 1
Two middle of first round (pick 11) priority picks, this year and next. This would come with a condition they must involve at least one of those picks in a trade for a player or they lose the other one. So if they trade for a player with this years pick they're free to do whatever they want with next years pick 11, or if they take this years pick 11 to the draft they must use the 2023 pick in next years trade period or they forfeit it just before next years draft.

Part 2
An increase in the soft cap allowance for the next 2-3 years. They've just sacked their current coach and are holding a review. The review may also decide other coaches need to go. North will need to pay overs anyway to recruit a decent new head coach and possible more assistant/line coaches. What aspiring coach really wants to go there at the moment? I don't know exactly how the tax works if clubs exceed the cap or even the current $ amount of it but I know North need help in this regard too.

Why should they get a priority pick after trading out Higgins, Tarrant and Brown? Why should the other teams in the competition be inconvenienced and put back a position in the draft because of North deliberately trading out players to slump to the bottom of the ladder. And now want a PP. No thanks. I think they’ll get something but I don’t think they should. Same as when Melbourne applied the AFL should say “enough”. Like they did to Melbourne in 2014. They said “no”. Dees were putrid too. Insipid football club Melbourne were but turned their fortune around without the aid of a PP. Noble was hopeless. North recruited him. It’s their own doing. Other teams shouldn’t have to pay for the incompetence of North. I’d be all for the AFL just folding North.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why should they get a priority pick after trading out Higgins, Tarrant and Brown? Why should the other teams in the competition be inconvenienced and put back a position in the draft because of North deliberately trading out players to slump to the bottom of the ladder. And now want a PP. No thanks. I think they’ll get something but I don’t think they should. Same as when Melbourne applied the AFL should say “enough”. Like they did to Melbourne in 2014. They said “no”. Dees were putrid too. Insipid football club Melbourne were but turned their fortune around without the aid of a PP. Noble was hopeless. North recruited him. It’s their own doing. Other teams shouldn’t have to pay for the incompetence of North. I’d be all for the AFL just folding North.

The AFL basically took over Melbourne. Installed a CEO, chairman, paid Paul Roos to coach, gave them pick 2 as FA compensation for James Frawley, which was the priority pick when we don't want to call it a priority pick.

And the trolling in the last line is gutless and pathetic.

Would be right. Eagles have first year with a top 10 pick in over a decade, and it gets pushed down by a priority pick to a club that has been an incompetent cluster * for the last 3 or 4 years.

Any and all priority picks should be end of first round at the earliest, and should have a requirement that they be traded for established talent. Giving out picks at the top end of the draft is a joke.
You have five Premiership players thru PPs.

I think they’ll most likely get a pick at the end of the first round. But I hope they don’t. Traded away a lot of their better players.

How's that Mason Wood going for you lot?

The AFL basically took over Melbourne. Installed a CEO, chairman, paid Paul Roos to coach, gave them pick 2 as FA compensation for James Frawley, which was the priority pick when we don't want to call it a priority pick.

The Demons didn’t get a priority pick. They were diabolical at the time. They had been beyond pathetic for many years. Yet the Demons were overlooked for a priority pick. The Demons were that bad the AFL did practically take them over. Yet still no PP. This was even after the Demons rebuild was massively compromised by the GC and GWS having access to a lot of early selections in years Melbourne resided at the bottom.

I think its been overstated, they won 7 games in 2019. If they had been at the bottom for 10 years sure let's talk picks, but Brisbane were bottom 3 from 15, 16, 17 and 18, got it right off field and things can change quickly without picks.

Get a new coach, get things right off field and see how they go for the next couple of years.

Maybe I'm just a bastard, but I feel like they put themselves in this situation with trading out a bunch of their senior players plus not so good recruitment (in some places). I just don't know if that should be rewarded. Plenty of clubs dig themselves out a hole without priority picks, North need to do so as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have five Premiership players thru PPs.
If the PP was abolished Judd, Shuey and (almost certainly) Darling would have ended up at the Eagles. It's the picks after (Sampi, Swift and Lycett) we would not have had, one of whom did play in a flag to be fair.

Banfield, I'm too young to remember the circumstances as to why we got pick #1. Probably negotiated as part of entering the league but others can correct me.

I'm not sure it will change loads for the Eagles. I'll reckon we'll be taking Hewett, whether that's at 3 or 4.*

*EDIT: Or Busslinger if we decide to take a punt on a KPP. If North get a second pick at the start of the draft I reckon they will use it on Sheezel (after Wardlaw, with Brisbane taking Ashcroft) and I don't think we will try to convince him to head west.

Last edited:
gave them pick 2 as FA compensation for James Frawley, which was the priority pick when we don't want to call it a priority pick.
Frawley was arguably our best player. Already an All-Australian when he left, he played a vital role in Hawthorn winning multiple flags. We were terrible when we lost him and our compensation was tied to our ladder position, it wasn’t charity.

If the PP was abolished Judd, Shuey and (almost certainly) Darling would have ended up at the Eagles. It's the picks after (Sampi, swift and lycett) we would not have had, one of whom did play in a flag to be fair.

Banfield I'm too young to remember the circumstances as to why we got pick #1. Probably negotiated as part of entering the league but others can correct me.

I'm not sure it will change loads for the Eagles. I'll reckon we'll be taking Hewett, whether that's at 3 or 4.
History time.

Eagles traded Tony Begovich and Scott Watters to Sydney for pick one in 1992, with which they selected Drew Banfield, who played 265 games and won two flags. Begovich played five games, Watters 35 in two years before being traded to Fremantle for pick 21, which they used to select Matthew Nicks, who played 175 over ten years.

Eagles probably won that trade....

History time.

Eagles traded Tony Begovich and Scott Watters to Sydney for pick one in 1992, with which they selected Drew Banfield, who played 265 games and won two flags. Begovich played five games, Watters 35 in two years before being traded to Fremantle for pick 21, which they used to select Matthew Nicks, who played 175 over ten years.

Eagles probably won that trade....
The trade details on the 1992 wiki page are pretty light on so really wasn't sure how that pick came to us.

Frawley was arguably our best player. Already an All-Australian when he left, he played a vital role in Hawthorn winning multiple flags. We were terrible when we lost him and our compensation was tied to our ladder position, it wasn’t charity.
It was widely reported at the time that there was doubt that Frawley's contract was big enough to warrant the first round compo but given the AFL didn't give Melbourne the PP bringing the compo to the highest band was a workaround.

It was widely reported at the time that there was doubt that Frawley's contract was big enough to warrant the first round compo but given the AFL didn't give Melbourne the PP bringing the compo to the highest band was a workaround.
Conjecture.

Frawley’s contract was reported to be four years (with a trigger for a fifth) at 600k a year. Plenty of sources state this was enough to qualify for band 1.

In any case I don’t agree it’s a leg up if the AFL used their discretion to ensure the worst team in the league received fair compensation for losing their best player. That doesn’t make the compensation a priority pick.

If North lost their best player to Free Agency I’d hope they’d get the same outcome.

North don't deserve a priority pick. If they get given one it should be end of 1st round at best.
noone ever deserves a pp

but as seen many clubs have been given start of round 1 pp north have never had one

now if another club also wanted to bottom out and spent 3-5 years on the bottom like we have then tbh id have no issue with them getting a PP especially if they have never received one.

No frigging way, they already have the draft pick advantages including the pre-season draft.
They chose to trade Tarrant which has helped them stay on the bottom.
They have Horne-Francis plus another number 1 pick.
Two number 1 picks in two years and they want charity?
Nobody chose to trade Tarrant. He wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back