Northern Football League Division 2 - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
mernda have taken a different direction this week with a few young fast players into the side, Josh Delaney is back after 1 game best on ground in the under 19s, joining him are Costa Missailidis and Rob Barbara who have both been very consistent performers thus far this season in the 2s and 19s respectively. However, a number of high quality players missing through injuries, with the likes of Rees, Drakes and Burns all not playing.

mernda have taken a different direction this week with a few young fast players into the side, Josh Delaney is back after 1 game best on ground in the under 19s, joining him are Costa Missailidis and Rob Barbara who have both been very consistent performers thus far this season in the 2s and 19s respectively. However, a number of high quality players missing through injuries, with the likes of Rees, Drakes and Burns all not playing.

This week's selections:
Lower Plenty vs Diamond Creek
Mernda vs Watsonia
Fitzroy Stars vs Epping
Whittlesea vs Thomastown

How does Carl Sage go? i know he's a tall lad and has kicked plenty of goals in the Amo's, havent herd anything about him at Mernda.

So, here we go for Round 6.
Lower Plenty vs Diamond Creek - Both sides have failed teir first test so far this season and another big one for both.
Mernda vs Watsonia - A good oportunity for Mernda to be blooding potential young guns.
Fitzroy All Stars vs Epping - The season will be all but gone for the All Stars.
Whittlesea vs Thomastown - Another big win to the home side.

Epping had a 3 goal win today v Stars.
Happy with the win as we had 11 A grade player out and we lost two more before half time today.:thumbsdown:
Well done boys.
The two new players showed a bit today and will fit in well.
Should have six back for next weeks game.:thumbsu:

2010 Division Two Seniors
Lower Plenty 7.5 10.9 14.12 22.14 (146)
Diamond Creek 4.1 6.6 10.9 12.12 (84)

GOALS:
Lower Plenty: McLaughlin 4 Knee 3 Gill 3 Barden 3 Monger 2 O'Donnell Buller Brown Leropoulos Flynn Tyack Craig
Diamond Creek: Stephens 4 Gutterson 2 Owen 2 Donaldson 2 Constance Kelly

BEST:
Lower Plenty: Canty Flynn Monger Tyack Leropoulos O'Donnell
Diamond Creek: Cusack Atkins O'Connor Owen Jackson Stephens

Whittlesea 2.5 7.10 13.16 19.23 (137)
Thomastown 3.0 4.6 5.7 7.6 (48)

GOALS:
Whittlesea: Dornauf 6 Hobbs 4 Fairchild 3 Murray Szikla Page Volpe Quinton Dorsett
Thomastown: Calafiore 2 Abela 2 Abela Fazzari Nicolo

BEST:
Whittlesea: Quinton Brennan Heenan Barker Szikla Dornauf
Thomastown: Calafiore Horman Nicolo Zurek Collier Zakkour

Mernda 7.4 10.10 24.16 33.17 (215)
Watsonia 0.0 0.2 0.3 2.4 (16)

GOALS:
Mernda: Ferraro 10 Lamaro 7 Deayton 5 Anderson 3 Delaney 2 Sage 2 D'Avoine Thorneycroft Missailidis Wuelfert
Watsonia: Maggan Harris

BEST:
Mernda: Sage Delaney Ferraro Lamaro Deayton Stewart
Watsonia: Bennett Calcutt Perichon Ryan Veenman Leeman

Fitzroy Stars . . . .
Epping . . . .

Great win by Lower Plenty today! All the more better for the whingeing and moaning we`ve put up with from there coach about the opposition coaches box! Hope he enjoyed his preferred position on the other side of the ground looking into the sun, as his boys went down by 10 goals!! Get over it pal, every other side has!

Creek v Mernda, Mernda must win if they want to play finals, creek want 2nd.
Epping v Thomo, Both teams need the win for a top four spot.
Lower v W'sea, Lower at home are very good and a win keeps them 2nd.

Three very good games this week, love the new Div 2 :thumbsu:

Does anyone on here think Watsonia would win a game on Division 3 ?

The NFL should really look at demoting them down now and creating an even competition and having the bye in 2nd division. It's a conundrum but
I think it's better than being smashed each week.

You only need to look at Heidelberg West to see that they are enjoying their footy much more now with a few wins on the board

The NFL should really look at demoting them down now and creating an even competition and having the bye in 2nd division. It's a conundrum but

You only need to look at Heidelberg West to see that they are enjoying their footy much more now with a few wins on the board

i think its a must, they have the worst percentage ive seen even worse then us over the last few years and if they come into div3 they may at least be more even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they should consider it - but this week against the Stars will provide the full picture of what to expect. If they are considering it then they need to take into account:

the need to move fast and do it after this weeks game - all teams have played them once and there will be consistency regarding percentage

the D3 clubs and whether they agree with Westhawks above or believe it may impact their finals aspirations

the opinion of Watsonia players - ask them if such a move would make them more or less likely to stay playing - on current scores you would have to think the risk of the club forfeiting or folding will increase as the season goes on and players just effectively go "bugger this-its not worth it"

I think they should consider it - but this week against the Stars will provide the full picture of what to expect. If they are considering it then they need to take into account:

the need to move fast and do it after this weeks game - all teams have played them once and there will be consistency regarding percentage

the D3 clubs and whether they agree with Westhawks above or believe it may impact their finals aspirations

the opinion of Watsonia players - ask them if such a move would make them more or less likely to stay playing - on current scores you would have to think the risk of the club forfeiting or folding will increase as the season goes on and players just effectively go "bugger this-its not worth it"

If the club continues to struggle the way they are they wont be able to recover well, i dont think they would play finals in div3 but at least the games will be closer and they may have a few wins and that way they may keep players

I'm told they beat Resorvoir earlier this year in a practice match. That would point to them being at least competitive down in div 3 .

would that be an indication of the gap between div 2 & 3? if so then whoever wins the div 3 flag this year will need to increase their spending to be competitive in div 2 to avoid being back in div 3 in 2012

On the Watsonia to Div3 idea. It could work out well, would bring a new found good morale around the club. But at the same time. Yes, the work on the scoreboard has been dismal but I seen them play us and they are not as bad as people rate them to be.

The NFL has already put it to the committee and they voted against it as the clubs they play see it as a day out and canteen and beer sales are really good, player payments are next to nil so next year they go down with money in the bank. Make your own mind up on if it's a good strategy but if I was a player I would want to go down and maybe win a game:confused:

The NFL has already put it to the committee and they voted against it as the clubs they play see it as a day out and canteen and beer sales are really good, player payments are next to nil so next year they go down with money in the bank. Make your own mind up on if it's a good strategy but if I was a player I would want to go down and maybe win a game:confused:

Not sure what others think but while I love seeing the boys get up, no disrespect to Watsonia but it would be the first game I would choose not to go to.

Are their 2's fielding full sides? If the results continue as is it will be harder and harder to fill 2 teams and forfeits cost a lot in terms of canteen and bar sales as less people have to go to the ground and even more choose not to.

It has been interesting reading all the comments on Big Footy. It is so easy for some to hide behind aliases and make some of their comments. Gutless I call it. You know who you are. Thought it was time someone stood up for our young side.
It used to be playing local footy was all about playing with your mates. Mateship for life. Stand shoulder to shoulder through the good and the bad. Have a few beers together and a laugh. If the worst thing that happens to you in life is you get thumped in footy well life isn’t so bad. Sure you feel gutted at the time but you have a shower and a few beers with your mates and it is in perspective.
It takes character and G&F to stand by your mates when times are tough. To walk out on a club after a few games shows lack of character and absolutely no guts. Wouldn’t want to rely on them in a tough finals game.
Did you not think that Watsonia may not have wanted to take the easy way out? They will fight it out till the end and take what comes at the end of the season?
The young men taking the park each week are showing courage and G&F every week, turning up to training to keep working at improving, and when they finally win (which they will) there will be no better feeling for them.
As you can probably tell I am a proud and loyal Watsy supporter :)

It has been interesting reading all the comments on Big Footy. It is so easy for some to hide behind aliases and make some of their comments. Gutless I call it. You know who you are. Thought it was time someone stood up for our young side.
It used to be playing local footy was all about playing with your mates. Mateship for life. Stand shoulder to shoulder through the good and the bad. Have a few beers together and a laugh. If the worst thing that happens to you in life is you get thumped in footy well life isn’t so bad. Sure you feel gutted at the time but you have a shower and a few beers with your mates and it is in perspective.
It takes character and G&F to stand by your mates when times are tough. To walk out on a club after a few games shows lack of character and absolutely no guts. Wouldn’t want to rely on them in a tough finals game.
Did you not think that Watsonia may not have wanted to take the easy way out? They will fight it out till the end and take what comes at the end of the season?
The young men taking the park each week are showing courage and G&F every week, turning up to training to keep working at improving, and when they finally win (which they will) there will be no better feeling for them.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I don't think anyone has had a "crack" at Watsonia and I applaud your comments about standing tough. Wasn't that long ago when Macleod went through a similar rebuilding phase, thus adopted the Junior club to
ensure the filter of players through to the seniors.

Unfortunately, your close neighbours in St.Mary's, Bundoora & Greensborough are going to benefit from having a strong junior program
and having 2 of those clubs are Division 1 club is an attraction.

I would rather be competitive in a lower grade. There are still 12 weeks to go and if you don't perform against Fitzroy this week, ( and I really hope you do ) it could get tougher for the Saints.

Great comment, hope you do get better and stay in div 2.

when i think about it, it was only 12 months ago that everyone was calling for west to fold, just shows what a bit of hard work can do to get the club back on there feet

ovalballfan with supporters as passionate as you - the club will get there..watsoniais full of kids and good to see the kids are sticking round fronting up week in week out obviously the mateship and bond is still high..stick with it the club will come out with heads held high at the end as for those that left in the past few weeks good luck with your new clubs money hungry tosser

Can see some merit in dropping back to Div 3 but appreciate the passion expressed above.
I watch Watsonia a few times a season as I don't live far away & can walk down. Don't know much about the club though & can't understand what went so seriously wrong. They were a middle of the table Div 2 team with hopes of pushing up towards the finals just a couple of years ago, now they can barely score. What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back