Not Colby Too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dingster said:
From The Age, Colby will give his answer to the club on his playing future in the next week or so. From a completely selfish point of view, we really need another year out of Colby. He's just too important.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/09/03/1093939144137.html

You plain and simply cannot replace what he has given to our club, on and off the field.

His body's been stuffed since Kingy nearly killed him, yet he still backs into packs and puts himself over the footy as if nothing was wrong with him. Can's speak highly enough of him and losing him would be devastating, and I think would mean a pretty ordinary year next season.

Just one more, Leigh.

Well I really hope that Colby does play on but it doesn't look good. If he does give it away then we are totally stuffed. Possibly being even worse then we were this year. He is one guy who you can always count on and this year was taking many strong marks and helping out Watt as often as he could against quality fullforwards. If Colbert goes we lose all that.
We are going to really struggle next year. :(

Angus1 said:
We are going to really struggle next year. :(
Perhaps it is a good thing if Laidley coaches us again next year, 3 years without finals footy should provide plenty of ammo.

It will be sad should Colbert retire, simply irreplaceable. But it is a dilemma we were go face this year or next. If he were to retire, id be inclined to play Petrie at CHB, Brown at FB and release Watt to play the third/ rebounding tall. Watt or Brown could change roles depending on form/ match-ups. With Perry knocking on the door to keep everyone honest.

seems its more than injuries why he consider retiring, he is well known for his love of flying planes and may want to take that up fulltime

How dare he not be obssessed by football, how dare he have outside interests, how dare he have a life....typical footballer, only thinking about himself :D

I'd like to see him run around for another year, but wouldn't blame him one bit for giving it away. Seems a little ironic to me that Colbert coming off probably his best ever season is considering retiring, while Glen Archer has decided to play on. Seems to me it should be the other way round.

But as always, there will be an upside. As mentioned by others, will allow Petrie or Brown to play CHB. Surely Browns performance on Jon Brown the other week has to convince Laidley to play him down back full time, and it will open up a spot for another younger player to get some games under his belt, namely Shore or Perry. Although we'll probably retain Baird now and have to put up with him for another year.

A back line of Petrie, Brown and Watt as the thrid tall sounds pretty good to me. Maybe we could finally put Watt's one great asset to good use that way, his pace and athleticism.

Wels Eicke said:
How dare he not be obssessed by football, how dare he have outside interests, how dare he have a life....typical footballer, only thinking about himself :D

I'd like to see him run around for another year, but wouldn't blame him one bit for giving it away. Seems a little ironic to me that Colbert coming off probably his best ever season is considering retiring, while Glen Archer has decided to play on. Seems to me it should be the other way round.

But as always, there will be an upside. As mentioned by others, will allow Petrie or Brown to play CHB. Surely Browns performance on Jon Brown the other week has to convince Laidley to play him down back full time, and it will open up a spot for another younger player to get some games under his belt, namely Shore or Perry. Although we'll probably retain Baird now and have to put up with him for another year.

A back line of Petrie, Brown and Watt as the thrid tall sounds pretty good to me. Maybe we could finally put Watt's one great asset to good use that way, his pace and athleticism.
Have to agree. I really can't see Archer dong much yet Colbert is one of the best in the league in my opinion. This is a crazy situation . We will be left with one of the worst back halfs in the league. Watt and Baird shouldn't even be there because they are both useless yet they will be our key defenders. We are in for a huge struggle next year. The struggle isn't to make top 4 but instead it is a struggle to not get the wooden spoon.

Saw him at the Warringal Private on Friday (he was actually on the next trolley in surgery next to my 'other half' - I couldn't understand why she was so upset that I was showing more concern for Colby's knee than for her gall bladder operation!). Anyway, i joked to him that I hope the bung knee wouldn't interrupt his pre-season and he replied that it wouldn't - so read into that what you will....

I'd like to see him reach 100 games in Royal Blue & White (currently on 83), then we can fight with Geelong for the services of his sons (if he has any). Hopefully they would have the same kind of ticker as their dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEVO said:
I'd like to see him reach 100 games in Royal Blue & White (currently on 83), then we can fight with Geelong for the services of his sons (if he has any). Hopefully they would have the same kind of ticker as their dad.

I'm pretty sure his sons (if he had any) would follow the roos given Leigh's relationship with both us and Geelong. Although he might have to play for another 2 seasons, as 17 games in a year might be a bit of an ask given his history of getting injured.

Angus1 said:
Have to agree. I really can't see Archer dong much yet Colbert is one of the best in the league in my opinion. This is a crazy situation . We will be left with one of the worst back halfs in the league. Watt and Baird shouldn't even be there because they are both useless yet they will be our key defenders. We are in for a huge struggle next year. The struggle isn't to make top 4 but instead it is a struggle to not get the wooden spoon.

I think we have overrated our list a bit on this board. It's still going to be a while before Hamish McIntosh and David Hale become the stars that we all think they will be.

Archer and Colbert will retire soon, and we will have major problems in key positions. I see us being a bit like the Carlton side that Pagan took over - a whole lot of experienced guys like McKay, Ratten, Silvagni etc leave and then the side bottoms out.

2005 could be painful. But I can't see Archer, Colbert, Rocca, Porter and McKernan being regulars in 2006. That is the year where we could really hit rock bottom, before rebuilding through 2007, and hopefully a return to the finals in 2008.

One option would to go through the pain next year, and for Colbert, Stevens, King, Porter to all retire. Let Hale play every week, and blood even more kids. Aim for a bottom four finish, and get draft picks. I would be happy with 6 or 7 wins for next season, as long as the kids get a run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Colby Too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back