Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was only a young kid in this era and did not attend games until a few years later but top right seems to look like Power.

View attachment 811248

View attachment 811249

agreed - Power won a charlie as well so more likely to be him

I am not sure if bottom right is Huppatz or Wheeler - both started in 74 - Huppatz more likely to have been featured although he was lightly framed.

Huppatz.jpg WHEELER.JPG

Top left looks a lot like Thorpe when he was captain in 73, Prince Imperial he had longer hair than the shot in the footy card (incidentally while that card was produced in 72, the photo was from a shoot for Scanlen’s in 68, as were many players in the 70 and 72 card sets. Many had the same photo from 68 recropped and rotated slightly to make them appear different.). Thorpe was gone in 74 too, if mat could be from 73?

Edit: sorry that is the 1970 card with the 68 photo, the 72 set also had the Scanlen ‘twins’ in the opposite top corner to the card number, the 70 set only had the card number.

Top left looks a lot like Thorpe when he was captain in 73, Prince Imperial he had longer hair than the shot in the footy card (incidentally while that card was produced in 72, the photo was from a shoot for Scanlen’s in 68, as were many players in the 70 and 72 card sets. Many had the same photo from 68 recropped and rotated slightly to make them appear different.). Thorpe was gone in 74 too, if mat could be from 73?

Edit: sorry that is the 1970 card with the 68 photo, the 72 set also had the Scanlen ‘twins’ in the opposite top corner to the card number, the 70 set only had the card number.
definitely Thorpe from 1973..have a look at this game from 73.horrible football

This was definitely not me top left, I am pretty sure it was David Thorpe. He did have his locks slightly longer than the footy card above . Bottom right is Terry Wheeler.
Regards
Stephen

I notice that Mercedes Benz Vans have just announced that they will be axing production of their X-class utes. Since the introduction of this Ute seemed to be a pretty big catalyst for starting the sponsorship with us, I wonder what impact it will have on the sponsorship going forward? Does anybody know when the current agreement ends?

I notice that Mercedes Benz Vans have just announced that they will be axing production of their X-class utes. Since the introduction of this Ute seemed to be a pretty big catalyst for starting the sponsorship with us, I wonder what impact it will have on the sponsorship going forward? Does anybody know when the current agreement ends?
The original deal was for 2018-2020, but I'm unsure whether it's been extended since then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

definitely Thorpe from 1973..have a look at this game from 73.horrible football

Classic bit of useless commentary in that quarter by I think Geoff Leek “Bremner gets the free, I don’t know what for but it was there!” Also shows how protected Crimmins was by the umpires - I remember as a kid the popular view of him on the WO terraces, which few people repeat since his premature passing, but if any of our blokes got the frees he and Bartlett got....!😡 Bartlett actually cleverly exploited the interpretation at the time of being able to bounce the ball while being held to get a holding the man decision. Crimmins OTOH, relied on getting gifted 5-6 frees every game for no discernible reason...

My 2020 fixture magnet arrived today.
Only 45 days left before the start of our third premiership season.

Go Dogs!

You obviously never had fridge magnets during our VFA days dw...! Looking forward to the reports of our 1920 premiership 100th anniversary players reunion - I’ve still got the fridge magnet! 😀

You obviously never had fridge magnets during our VFA days dw...! Looking forward to the reports of our 1920 premiership 100th anniversary players reunion - I’ve still got the fridge magnet! 😀
Nice try but they only had ice-boxes in those days. The first fridge sold commercially in Australia was a kero fridge in 1923.

Nice try but they only had ice-boxes in those days. The first fridge sold commercially in Australia was a kero fridge in 1923.

Sorry old chap, but Wikipedia doesn't agree with you:
"The terms ice box and refrigerator were used interchangeably in advertising as long ago as 1848 ."

You'll also find that, like Jack Torrance, I appear in the background of old team photos of the 1919/1920 era... :eek:

Sorry old chap, but Wikipedia doesn't agree with you:
"The terms ice box and refrigerator were used interchangeably in advertising as long ago as 1848 ."

You'll also find that, like Jack Torrance, I appear in the background of old team photos of the 1919/1920 era... :eek:
Well yours is a semantic point (NTTAWWT). Mine's a technological/historical one. Readers can take their pick.

:)

Well yours is a semantic point (NTTAWWT). Mine's a technological/historical one. Readers can take their pick.

:)

I think my point is that an icebox predating 1923 (possibly referred to as a refrigerator... or 'fridge'), and made out of metal, could still have had a magnet attached of the 1919/1920 VFA fixtures for our great club - especially as artificial refrigeration was evident as far back as the 1750s... and ignoring the fact that fridge magnets were not mass-produced until the 1970s!

By the way, this is a team fridge magnet I purchased at the time, which features someone with almost my exact likeness in the back row... and (allegedly) the first 'Groenewegen' ever captured in a team photo. ;)

1580883051353.png

Club rang me earlier today and told me that there was an empty reserved seat next to the ones I already have and if i wanted a 40% discount. the family has a 5th person who is a doggie supporter but he already has a GA membership. Told this to the person on the phone and they said that the upgrade would only cost $50 then. Ripper of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back