Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was sitting in the school staffroom today and a colleague said it was 38 days till the start of the new season.

Jesus I can’t wait. I’ve never been so excited. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch.

I think my point is that an icebox predating 1923 (possibly referred to as a refrigerator... or 'fridge'), and made out of metal, could still have had a magnet attached of the 1919/1920 VFA fixtures for our great club - especially as artificial refrigeration was evident as far back as the 1750s... and ignoring the fact that fridge magnets were not mass-produced until the 1970s!

By the way, this is a team fridge magnet I purchased at the time, which features someone with almost my exact likeness in the back row... and (allegedly) the first 'Groenewegen' ever captured in a team photo. ;)

View attachment 817949
Nice one. We're all anachronisms anyway (sooner or later). Well played.

Go the Imperials!!

I’ve had this place-mat for a number of years and have not been 100% sure of who the players actually were. I’m thinking Bernie Quinlan may be bottom left and possibly Peter Welsh is top right. Wondering if any of the old timers can help.View attachment 811085

Tough one
A Time-line would be handy
What year did Peter wear a full beard?
David Thorpe left in 73, Terry Wheeler started 74
I think its later than 73 however it may not be a big one though
Bernie Quinlan had a mo for a few years
Looks like Stephen Power top left although he posted no
I’m thing maybe Ray Huppatz bottom right
Not much help I fear

Last edited:

Tough one
Not much help I fear

im saying Qinlnlan bottom left , Welsh top right , Power bottom right.
pretty confident about those .
top right has me beat right now. Pretty sure thats not Thorpe.

Tough one
Not much help I fear
Not exactly sure of the year but it had to be pre-1975 and I was born in 1969. I’d say it was 1973 or 74 which doesn’t help much.

I reckon that you have the three above correct and agree with you that it's a tough ask for the 4th
I reckon that the place mat is connected to the Bulldogs' finals appearances in the mid 70's [Waverley Park is featured] Although the kicking style reminds me of Thorpe he was at Richmond by then. If I had to make a call I'd go for the prolific accumulator - Peter Featherby. What do you think?

Club rang me earlier today and told me that there was an empty reserved seat next to the ones I already have and if i wanted a 40% discount. the family has a 5th person who is a doggie supporter but he already has a GA membership. Told this to the person on the phone and they said that the upgrade would only cost $50 then. Ripper of a deal.
Smart by the club. Clever way to fill holes and get a few extra dollars and members signed on.

I reckon that you have the three above correct and agree with you that it's a tough ask for the 4th
I reckon that the place mat is connected to the Bulldogs' finals appearances in the mid 70's [Waverley Park is featured] Although the kicking style reminds me of Thorpe he was at Richmond by then. If I had to make a call I'd go for the prolific accumulator - Peter Featherby. What do you think?

Could be , but not sure Featherby had that physique, looks to have decent biceps 💪?

This was definitely not me top left, I am pretty sure it was David Thorpe. He did have his locks slightly longer than the footy card above . Bottom right is Terry Wheeler.
Regards
Stephen

hey Steve , how did you rate Thorpe ?
always thought he was one of the best I have seen in our colours !

Are you still playing tennis ?

Club rang me earlier today and told me that there was an empty reserved seat next to the ones I already have and if i wanted a 40% discount. the family has a 5th person who is a doggie supporter but he already has a GA membership. Told this to the person on the phone and they said that the upgrade would only cost $50 then. Ripper of a deal.

Cheers for that, I rang & while they wouldn't offer me 40% I got $50 off a silver reserved seat on Level 1. Since I was paying $35 a month for GA, it's gone up to around $50 for a seat. No more will I have to hunt for GA seats on Level 3 when we play Essendon & Collingwood!

Got a good insight to why we are looking good for next 8 years...

Both Bont and Dunks have a great balance in there game and now need to add Goals to become elite elite.

I believe the below stats show if you do not do the 1%s you can kick more goals.

Also think it shows Dangerfield is the best player in the comp with an unbelievable all round game

Height Disp 2019 Goals Marks Tackles 1%s

Danger 189cm 650 27 119 104 38

Bonti 193cm 606 15 94 116 47

J Kelly 184cm 507 14 69 96 19

Pend 191cm 655 12 105 112 43

Martin 187cm 600 32 96 56 27

Fyfe 192cm 583 16 96 79 43

Oliver 187cm 661 6 82 139 87

Dunkley 190cm 651 11 95 141 53

Cripps 195cm 560 13 62 123 29

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, that's definitely Snapper Power bottom right, look at the the hair and the squashed nose.

Welshy went full beard 77/78 (see the photo from our record score in 1978), before that it was the mo.
1580967093035.png

Bernie's last year with us was 77, so I'm thinking the place mat is from that year.

Thorpe was well gone by then.

So the problem is still top left, the hair just doesn't look right for Huppatz or Feathers. I've been through every list I can find from 76/77 and no one rings a bell.
It's had me stumped for days. I think it can only be one of the lesser lights from that era (like Foreman, Perussich, Blair, Ross Gallagher, etc).

I hope someone can solve this:huh:

Spot on, that's definitely Snapper Power bottom right, look at the the hair and the squashed nose.

Welshy went full beard 77/78 (see the photo from our record score in 1978), before that it was the mo.
View attachment 818495

Bernie's last year with us was 77, so I'm thinking the place mat is from that year.

So the problem is still top left, the hair just doesn't look right for Huppatz or Feathers. I've been through every list I can find from 76/77 and no one rings a bell.
It's had me stumped for days. I think it can only be one of the lesser lights from that era (like Foreman, Perussich, Blair, Ross Gallagher, etc).

played juniors against Perussich and Foreman , don’t think it’s either of those.
now out of ideas !

Got a good insight to why we are looking good for next 8 years...

Both Bont and Dunks have a great balance in there game and now need to add Goals to become elite elite.

I believe the below stats show if you do not do the 1%s you can kick more goals.

Also think it shows Dangerfield is the best player in the comp with an unbelievable all round game

Height Disp 2019 Goals Marks Tackles 1%s

Danger 189cm 650 27 119 104 38

Bonti 193cm 606 15 94 116 47

J Kelly 184cm 507 14 69 96 19

Pend 191cm 655 12 105 112 43

Martin 187cm 600 32 96 56 27

Fyfe 192cm 583 16 96 79 43

Oliver 187cm 661 6 82 139 87

Dunkley 190cm 651 11 95 141 53

Cripps 195cm 560 13 62 123 29
I believe you’re looking for Yojimbo

View attachment 818495

Our jumpers changed for the 1975 season so the placemat is from before then.

Our jumpers changed for the 1975 season so the placemat is from before then.

Yep, you're right, 70-74 guernsey. Perhaps it's related to the 74 Elimination final given that looks like Waverley Park.

Nice try but they only had ice-boxes in those days. The first fridge sold commercially in Australia was a kero fridge in 1923.
God, you're a nerd.

Yep, you're right, 70-74 guernsey. Perhaps it's related to the 74 Elimination final given that looks like Waverley Park.

I think the VFL at the time just liked to put pictures of VFL Park on all their merchandise to try and promote the ground, which didn't work as it was a cold soul less concrete hole in the middle of nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back