Off-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Its all well and good that these boys are getting bigger......

But most young kids will always get bigger in their 2nd pre season, our boys always seem to get bigger each year but we still lose more games than we win.

It seems for me that the only time of year for me when I get get excited about our list is when they are doing pre season. And then when we get to the season a slap of reality hits me when we continually lose games.

I wouldn't only like to see our boys get bigger, but make better decisions on the field and learn to work much better defensively when we don't have the ball.

I don't think anyone is saying size equates to onfield success, but it's a key ingredient, and as we are all aware our young list has much talent so as soon as they're on a level playing field physically we can only improve. And I also want to see us improve in the areas you mentioned.

I don't think anyone is saying size equates to onfield success, but it's a key ingredient, and as we are all aware our young list has much talent so as soon as they're on a level playing field physically we can only improve. And I also want to see us improve in the areas you mentioned.

Yeah I agree with you. Absolutely its important, you just have to look at the siza of the players at Geelong. Its just you'd be hoping our players are getting stronger when it is their full time job, so its something I don't get excited about. What I will get excited about is when our ball movement and defensive structures become a lot more solid in the coming years.

I expect all our players to get
stronger
faster
smarter
more agile

untill the age of 23-24 , then if they are still no good .............. Delist

You don't really get any faster or more agile through AFL training, or at least if you do, the difference isn't really noticible. If anything you lose a bit of speed with the increased body mass.

What you do get though is fitter, so you can sprint harder for longer, and more often. Bigger and stronger, and better tactically.

You don't really get any faster or more agile through AFL training, or at least if you do, the difference isn't really noticible. If anything you lose a bit of speed with the increased body mass.

What you do get though is fitter, so you can sprint harder for longer, and more often. Bigger and stronger, and better tactically.
You can get faster if your technique is wrong, and more agile if you try running on your toes, depends if they've been taught correctly through juniors.

Most players actually do get faster and have more agility after they are 20-21 than they have when they are 17-18 & There are a couple of reasons for that.

Better training methods at proffesional clubs along with more training times as they are now full time athletes and no longer have schooling to attend to.

Also they are alot stronger in their legs,Thighs,Hips & shoulders the extra power in their bodies far out weigh the extra weight they carry

Most sprinters dont really reach their prime untill they are over 24-25

I think you will find that most , not all but most footballers will have more endurance and better speed after the age of 21 than they do at 18.

Dustin Martin Breaking his tan times is just a small example.

Most players actually do get faster and have more agility after they are 20-21 than they have when they are 17-18 & There are a couple of reasons for that.

Better training methods at proffesional clubs along with more training times as they are now full time athletes and no longer have schooling to attend to.

Also they are alot stronger in their legs,Thighs,Hips & shoulders the extra power in their bodies far out weigh the extra weight they carry

Most sprinters dont really reach their prime untill they are over 24-25

I think you will find that most , not all but most footballers will have more endurance and better speed after the age of 21 than they do at 18.

Dustin Martin Breaking his tan times is just a small example.

Fair points, but Martin breaking his tan time isn't an example at all, that's got nothing to do with speed and agility. You can't sprint 3.8 kilometers, it's aerobic endurance, which doesn't have much to do with top speed.

The slowest, least agile player on the list could potentially do the best tan time.

Other points are very valid, though there's unlikely to be mass improvements. What I mean by that is, if your not considered "quick" as a junior, your not likely to become "quick".

Fair points, but Martin breaking his tan time isn't an example at all, that's got nothing to do with speed and agility. You can't sprint 3.8 kilometers, it's aerobic endurance, which doesn't have much to do with top speed.

The slowest, least agile player on the list could potentially do the best tan time.

Other points are very valid, though there's unlikely to be mass improvements. What I mean by that is, if your not considered "quick" as a junior, your not likely to become "quick".

The part about Martin i believe is valid, whilst the tan run is more of an endurance it allows him to keep his speed up at the higher level longer and with more intensity.

Also the clubs now have sprint coaches who work full time on the players sprinting which in all honesty 90% of the under 18 kids would not have worked a great deal with such coaches

I remember a few years ago that troy simmons in his 2nd last year employed a full time sprint coach (before the tigers had cash to pay for it) and it was mentioned that even at that age he managed to get extremely good results.

Strength is power & speed is a direct result of having the power to burst and maintain the accelaration.

Had to change trains at Richmond on Monday morning and saw the boys doing a kicking drill (mark, back up, change direction then run).

One guy stood out like a beacon - Morris (and not just because of the hair). The speed and foot skills were a cut above. Looks a real pro and ready to play now.

Early prediction - round one without a doubt.
Good to hear he is settling in nicely

Dusty almost knocked this poor lady over

49523_18_1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty almost knocked this poor lady over

49523_18_1.jpg

Damn my mother escaped from the home again! Time for them to change the code again.

She's attracted by the rhododendrons in the the Botanical Gardens and fit Richmond footballers running the Tan. She goes looking for Wayne Walsh.

Haere Ra

Is it just me or is Cotchin's upper body massive? I think since he did his achilles he did alot of work on his upper body which I think will help him alot more and insted of being an outside mid. This year he has been able to move to to an inside mid because his alot stronger

Is it just me or is Cotchin's upper body massive? I think since he did his achilles he did alot of work on his upper body which I think will help him alot more and insted of being an outside mid. This year he has been able to move to to an inside mid because his alot stronger

I wouldn't classify Cotchins career so far as being an outside mid at all. He is extremely inside already....although it's good he is getting stronger.

Looked like in the vid he had a point to prove too....taking off and keeping ahead of Cotch in their group!!

Reckon this kid will be one of our best not before long.

Kinda reminds me a bit like Murphy from the Blues/Kelly from Geelong... Absolute guns but probably don't get the same amount of credit due to playing alongside Judd, Bartel, Ablett etc... Similar to what Conca will be doing playing with Cotch n Dusty.

Reckon this kid will be one of our best not before long.

Kinda reminds me a bit like Murphy from the Blues/Kelly from Geelong... Absolute guns but probably don't get the same amount of credit due to playing alongside Judd, Bartel, Ablett etc... Similar to what Conca will be doing playing with Cotch n Dusty.

snap!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Off-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back