Official 2009 National/Pre-Season/Rookie Drafts Super Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: syd rookie draft 2nd, 3rd, 4th = pass selection

i'll re-post some words of wisdom from one of our wisest posters

I know a lot of you are going to be disappointed, but there is a limit to how many players the club thinks they can successfully manage. There is little point in drafting players for the sake of it. Remember we have the restrictions on how many listed players can take to the field for the reserves at any one time, so it wouldn't help the club or the drafted players if they're forced to miss out or play with another Canberra club.

We will have picked up (hopefully) Playfair, Gordon, McNeil, Crichton and McKaigue. Add that to Orreal and Gilchrist and it's a pretty fair rookie list.

Re: Official 2009 National Draft Discussion Thread

Dylan McNeil

MCNEIL%20Dylan_draft_246_meeta.jpg

Height: 178cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 20/03/91
Recruited from: Lavington/Murray Bushrangers
Bio: Attacking midfielder who captained NSW/ACT in NAB AFL U18 Championships and won the Hunter Harrison Medal for best player in division two as well as All-Australian honours. Courageous player who excels at clearances. Draft Camp level 14.2 beep test confirmed his endurance to run all day. Best and Fairest for Murray Bushrangers averaging 22 disposals including eight contested.

What type of player are you?
A hard-running ball winning midfielder who pushes forward and kicks goals.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Lenny Hayes and Simon Black as I have been likened to them and have a similar ball-winning ability and high work rate.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Ball-winning ability, disposal efficiency, hard running, courage and goal kicking ability.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Defensive side of my game. I need to push back further and get more rebounds from defensive 50.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Carlton. I had no choice. It was decided for me.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My father. He taught me everything I know about football and is the person I go to for advice.

we were in the position to pick up at least one of panos, hooper or dare - and we choose not too - pretty piss poor. instead we go with deadwood like playfair

we were in the position to pick up at least one of panos, hooper or dare - and we choose not too - pretty piss poor. instead we go with deadwood like playfair

Tells you something about Panos, Hooper and Dare, when the Football Department would rather redraft Playfair instead, like they see him being of better long term value.......

I can't ****ing believe we drafted a useless hack like Henry Playfair! When Joe Dare and Jaryd Cachia was available. Im so bloody angry!

I rekon everyone is a taddd to obsessed with youth.

Playfairy is a proven AFL player and before he was injured he could mark well. If he had gotten his kicking straight he would of had maybe 2 goals a game.

If panos and all them were still available at our picks and were passed on it says something about the quality of them.

give me the fairy anyday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rekon everyone is a taddd to obsessed with youth.

Playfairy is a proven AFL player and before he was injured he could mark well. If he had gotten his kicking straight he would of had maybe 2 goals a game.

If panos and all them were still available at our picks and were passed on it says something about the quality of them.

give me the fairy anyday.
Great post vonn. We should trust in the club, the recruitment team, and their judgments on how these players may turn out. Players who dominate in the underage competitions because of their size may not necessarily make good AFL players, because once their physical advantage is taken away, they don't have any other strings to their bow.

dont ever agree with me again grim. its not good for my health.

Never been a big fan of blind faith unlike some on here. The plus side for playfair is that you know what you are getting with playfair which is a solid player at best. With pandos and other young rookies you might get a very good player or you might get a complete dud. But that is what the rookie draft is about taking a risk as its no big loss if they dont work out.

but having said that there is no doubt our recruiting this off season has been outstanding over all 8/10

Never been a big fan of blind faith unlike some on here. The plus side for playfair is that you know what you are getting with playfair which is a solid player at best. With pandos and other young rookies you might get a very good player or you might get a complete dud. But that is what the rookie draft is about taking a risk as its no big loss if they dont work out.

but having said that there is no doubt our recruiting this off season has been outstanding over all 8/10

Agree with you 100%, except about 1/100 rookies come good so its not worth losing sleep over.

I would give our off season recruiting a 10 to be honest could not be happier!

Crumbing forward- Tick
Hard at it midfielder- Tick
Flashy Midfielder- Tick
X-Factor and Speed- Tick
Long-Term KPD- Tick
Goalkicking FF/short term replacement- tick
Developing Ruckman- Tick
Ben McGlynn- Tick

What more could we want?

We may have been limited today due to a thing called the SALARY CAP.We have said goodbye to some quality players but we have also purchased a few.Another reason could have been "why just pick players to fill the numbers?"
I think (as most on this forum do) we have done well in all the drafts.........time will tell just how well!!!!!

We may have been limited today due to a thing called the SALARY CAP.We have said goodbye to some quality players but we have also purchased a few.Another reason could have been "why just pick players to fill the numbers?"
I think (as most on this forum do) we have done well in all the drafts.........time will tell just how well!!!!!

Well given the comments from Kinnear Beatson saying they hadn't budgeted for a rookie says to me they are trying to save a bit of cash down in Driver Avenue.

We may have been limited today due to a thing called the SALARY CAP.

Rookie listers generally are not on a lot of cash though, together with the fact only have of their salary counts towards the cap.

So much for the Panos hype. Clearly, Sydney is not the only club that must see some major deficiencies in his game. Every club not only passed him up in the National Draft, but also the rookie draft with their first pick at least.

Pretty sensible rookie draft by the club, and I echo Grimlock's thoughts from earlier.

Bring on 2010.

From the reading I have done, we only had the one "live" pick to play with once we committed to take Gordon and McNeil. So the 3 Passes were not because we didn't want to take anyone it was because we had under the rules of using the International and NSW Preselection Picks. Hence we had only the one pick to redraft Playfair which we were always planning of doing. Lucky Ablett requested to be delisted because we were going to redraft him to and by reading the above we didn't plan on McNeil falling to us via the Rookie Draft and hence would of use Pick 1 and 2 in the Rookie Draft (in other words our only "live" picks) on Playfair and Ablett.

So win-win I say.

I'm not too concerned that we didn't get Panos, people think young KPP and automatically assume he's a star. From all reports he's a pretty traditional mark and kick type forward, and the game isn't suited to those types anymore.

We already have Jesse as our young power forward and he's very mobile for a big lad, plus Johnston in the wings and he looks a far better prospect than Panos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2009 National/Pre-Season/Rookie Drafts Super Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back