Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

m
The midfield is still a worry for mine and if they don't fire like we know they can but they haven't always shown, then our selection conundrums will matter for naught.

Yes.

But which side is winning the flag if the midfield doesn't fire ?

Yesterday’s game confirmed us as 2024’s minor premiers, and we have some intriguing clashes today that will determine the exact makeup of the top eight, but I don’t think enough attention has been paid to that fact that yesterday’s games locked in this year’s bottom four. 🤪

Yesterday’s game confirmed us as 2024’s minor premiers, and we have some intriguing clashes today that will determine the exact makeup of the top eight, but I don’t think enough attention has been paid to that fact that yesterday’s games locked in this year’s bottom four. 🤪

It got locked last week

..and well-deserved by all teams involved. :straining:

m

Yes.

But which side is winning the flag if the midfield doesn't fire ?
None, but other sides' midfields fire a lot more often than ours.

I know it's negative but this is where big finals are won and it's where we have lost big finals before.

There's that saying, "If someone shows you who they are, believe them." Our midfield group have shown me they can make Carlton's look rather inept, GWS' look slow, Melbourne's (fully fit) look weak. But they've also shown me they can get absolutely belted by Freo's midfield and the Bulldogs midfield and Port's midfield.

So yeah they still have to prove themselves IMO. No better time than September.

I know it's negative but this is where big finals are won and it's where we have lost big finals before.

There's that saying, "If someone shows you who they are, believe them." Our midfield group have shown me they can make Carlton's look rather inept, GWS' look slow, Melbourne's (fully fit) look weak. But they've also shown me they can get absolutely belted by Freo's midfield and the Bulldogs midfield and Port's midfield.

Reckon big forwards most of the time take the game away in finals imo

Reckon big forwards most of the time take the game away in finals imo

It's probably gone more to mid sized and midfielders recently .

Geelong had Hawkins of course , and they need to deliver but even last years granny, it was Bobby Hill, Cameron, Crisp, Bailey etc kicking goals in the granny.

Even in 22 Smith and Stengle combined for 7 more than the Hawkins and Cameron combo .

But again the three talls have to do their job.

Possibly but we didn't respond that convincingly to the big loss.

I really think our bad starts this year are down to pressure as most teams start games with high pressure and as the game goes on the pressure lessens, and that allowed us to play how we wanted to play. The problem is in finals the pressure does not go down like it does in a regular home and away game.
1st quarters definitely a worry still.

But otherwise hoping the poor performances through the stretch were due to complacency that crept in because of how far ahead we were.

Encouraging signs the last few weeks that we will be ready when it really matters. Let's see!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s the worry and imo why we won’t go all the way

Reliance on the mid group is to much t kick a wining score

Yeah but they only have to compete and bring it to ground.

I think if we do go all the way it will be Hayward and Papley kicking the most goals

Good morning and welcome back fellow believers.

George Michael once said you’ve gotta have faith and why wouldn’t you after witnessing us toy with the crows last night.

We are fast again, we are scoring at will, we executed the game plan - a bruise free tune up before the finals.

Did we look exhausted last night ? Didn’t think so. Did we look full of running ? Did we look like a team tapering and about to explode in 2 weeks. You know we did.

A perfect home and away and with so many finals party tricks up our sleeve to be unveiled when it matters most.

Now sit back, relax and watch a day of high drama and carnage hopefully culminating in a 9th place finish for the * premiers.

JHWF, realistic not optimistic at the business end of the season.
Parker and Grundy looked pretty knackered but just about everybody else still had something in the tank.

Hearing Horse speak, I’d be surprised if Macca is not selected. This means someone is likely to be be very unlucky in week one of finals.

Cleary, Francis and Fox all likely to miss (although I like Fox as sub).

I reckon the very unlucky fourth is then likely to be one of Campbell, Adams or Parker. They all played well today, so they haven’t made the selectors’ job easy.

My guess is that Parker will be played as sub because Adams is neater in the midfield, Campbell has speed and class, and Parker is a very good sub.

This would mean that the tall forwards would need to step up, as Parker has been our best marking forward over the last three weeks.

Another option would be to play a smaller forward line. But I can’t see the selectors dropping Logan (who brings class and versatility), Amartey (who is competing really hard) and McLean (who is marking better and also backs up in the ruck).

Florent may be one other player feeling a bit uneasy this week. He has struggled in the backline of late, and while serviceable further up the ground, hasn’t been an absolute sensation either (and also is essentially playing Macca’s role I think).

I’m going to feel for whoever misses out…

Without Parker we are out in straight sets IMHO.

Mate I'm worried you're going to give yourself heart palpations worrying about our midfield.

No other team's top 3 mids and ruck have come anywhere close to the performance of ours over the season. Not close.

The may not have fired 22/22 times but with the exception of Grundy - who also found a bit of form last night - they've each had some crackers in the past few weeks.

That's no guarantee that they will also show up over the next month but I think it's more likely than not.

Who are the four who will come out for J Mac, Paps, Tommy Mac and Isaac?
I can't see anything other than a sad exit for Adams. The other three who will come out will be Fox, Cleary and Francis.
It will be sad to see both Fox and Adams miss out but unless we have other injuries, I can't see a spot for these.
Some may argue that Campbell should be one of the ones to miss as Adam's finals experience is hard to ignore.
Hopefully, we have a full squad to choose from and leave the hard decisions to the selection panel.
Fox is more versatile than Campbell and we have avenues for attack covered, but we need better defense in the finals. That said wouldn't be upset with Campbell getting the nod as long as we win.

No other team's top 3 mids and ruck have come anywhere close to the performance of ours over the season. Not close.
I wouldn't even have them in the top 4 or 5.

Our midfielders are great in general play, but we have been belted in the contest on a number of occasions this year and still concede way too many easy clearances.

I have literally zero interest in them earning all of the individual accolades I'm sure they are going to earn if they get belted in the contest in a final.

Our forward line is really interesting. I've banged on a lot about how we lack pressure players at ground level inside 50, so a way to add another could be to take out one of the talls and just play Parker as the third "tall." But aside from the risks that come with changing up the structure we've had for literally four straight seasons in a final, I think the three talls are also important in allowing Parker to do what he's been doing. He's become that nightmare match-up for teams that Heeney has previously been.

Is there a way to have:

1. The three talls
2. Parker forward
3. An additional small besides Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back