Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

That facility is awesome
Had a tour through it last Thursday night as part of the AFLW season launch. Its top notch. Although the less said about my efforts to kick a footy out on that mock AFL field the better:speechless:

Watching Logan last night I've come to the conclusion that he overthinks it sometimes.

Decisions take a while, and then I can almost literally see him change his mind at least three times before he chooses an option. That moment which led to a turned it over in our F50 last night a perfect example. Had the ball, go for goal or not...Not - where am I going to kick it - oh look - a dinky turnover kick that barely travels 15 and goes no where near a Swans player.

Francis, Cleary, Fox and Campbell. Campbell only out if JMac is fully fit by the first final otherwise Campbell or Cleary stay in.
Most people here only look at the last game played and make decisions based on that. Campbell's game last night was only fair but he was very good last week against Essendon.

Watching Logan last night I've come to the conclusion that he overthinks it sometimes.

Decisions take a while, and then I can almost literally see him change his mind at least three times before he chooses an option. That moment which led to a turned it over in our F50 last night a perfect example. Had the ball, go for goal or not...Not - where am I going to kick it - oh look - a dinky turnover kick that barely travels 15 and goes no where near a Swans player.
Definitely overthinks, but also he seems to doubt himself (maybe it's a combination of both?)

Most people here only look at the last game played and make decisions based on that. Campbell's game last night was only fair but he was very good last week against Essendon.

And only fair the game before he’s not Papley and if they had JMac fit someone will be unlucky

For those who think winning the first quarter is critical to us winning finals, there actually an easy solution to the selection conundrum. We’ve won (albeit narrowly) two first quarters in the back end of the season. Who was missing from those two games?

For a change a quick start from Sydney, so no need to over exert themselves playing catch up Football, just the sort of game you need at the end of the H&A season a good hit out and no injuries before the finals.
Another Kinnear Beatson draft masterpiece in picking up Matt Roberts at no.34 , he looks to have a long top level football career ahead of him , if he keeps developing at the current rate.
We shouldn't make any selections prior to 30 as they are all bombs.

We might not be...

In the last three finals series, of the 27 games in total, 14 have had a key forward kick 3 or more goals. That's just over 50% of finals.

3 of those 27 games saw a key forward from the eventual premiers kick 3 or more goals. 9% of them.

19 key forwards have kicked 3 or more goals in those games and won 12 of them, for a win rate of 63%.

Big forwards are handy to have but finals can easily be won without relying on them for big scores.

And if you need any more cause for optimism on this subject - some of those 19 key forwards to have kicked 3 or more goals in a final included names like Joel Smith, Max King, Ollie Lord and Eric Hipwood.

None of them have kicked 9 goals in a match :p
With that in mind, looking at the probable four who may have to come out for Papley, McCartin, Heeney and McInerney would we consider doing something we haven't done all year? Drop Amartey, who I feel doesn't warrant his place in the team and simply play two of the forward talls. With the ability to move Parker and Adams into the midfield for short periods of time, it allows us to play Heeney forward who may drag his midfield opponent with him. Parker can also play as a marking forward, similar to Haywood. Just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who think winning the first quarter is critical to us winning finals, there actually an easy solution to the selection conundrum. We’ve won (albeit narrowly) two first quarters in the back end of the season. Who was missing from those two games?

It's Heeney.
While I was (I hope obviously) not being serious with my suggestion, as we watched the first half of the first quarter unfold yesterday, my friend and I wondered aloud if Heeney's absence had convinced the others they needed to stand up and do it themselves.

I don't think he's a particular fast starter. He picks and chooses a little when he contests a ground ball or lays a tackle (though when he chooses to he does it with class), and I think his array of skills comes to the fore when the heat slightly goes out of the game. So if we're relying on him to start the fire at the opening bounce, maybe that's why things haven't been quite working as we'd like them to.

With that in mind, looking at the probable four who may have to come out for Papley, McCartin, Heeney and McInerney would we consider doing something we haven't done all year? Drop Amartey, who I feel doesn't warrant his place in the team and simply play two of the forward talls. With the ability to move Parker and Adams into the midfield for short periods of time, it allows us to play Heeney forward who may drag his midfield opponent with him. Parker can also play as a marking forward, similar to Haywood. Just a thought.
That's a really good idea I reckon, I thought Joel was one of our least effective on Saturday, but I can't see the selection committee agreeing.

While I was (I hope obviously) not being serious with my suggestion, as we watched the first half of the first quarter unfold yesterday, my friend and I wondered aloud if Heeney's absence had convinced the others they needed to stand up and do it themselves.

I don't think he's a particular fast starter. He picks and chooses a little when he contests a ground ball or lays a tackle (though when he chooses to he does it with class), and I think his array of skills comes to the fore when the heat slightly goes out of the game. So if we're relying on him to start the fire at the opening bounce, maybe that's why things haven't been quite working as we'd like them to.
Interesting analysis. I think both Heeney and Papley are guilty of ball chasing early on in games. They commit with such intensity that it becomes particularly damaging when they overrun or spill the ball. There might be a good case to start Heeney forward and let Parker take some early center bounces. It looks like they've been mostly doing the opposite so far but Heeney's pressure could be quite useful in our forward 50 when there's some pace on the ball, especially if we're concerned about Parker's defence. It might also nullify some of the extreme attention Isaac receives early on in games from taggers.

It looks like they were experimenting with some midfield set ups in the Adelaide game (e.g. leaving a player loose on the defensive side), so it's clearly still a work in progress.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis. I think both Heeney and Papley are guilty of ball chasing early on in games. They commit with such intensity that it becomes particularly damaging when they overrun or spill the ball. There might be a good case to start Heeney forward and let Parker take some early center bounces. It looks like they've been mostly doing the opposite so far but Heeney's pressure could be quite useful in our forward 50 when there's some pace on the ball, especially if we're concerned about Parker's defence. It might also nullify some of the extreme attention Isaac receives early on in games from taggers.

It looks like they were experimenting with some midfield set ups in the Adelaide game (e.g. leaving a player loose on the defensive side), so it's clearly still a work in progress.
Warner at FF after a goal was a hoot. The defender had no idea what to make of it.

Warner at FF after a goal was a hoot. The defender had no idea what to make of it.
Which quarter did that happen? I’ve watched a replay of the first, but it was late on Sat night and I fell asleep. I watched the second and third yesterday and didn’t notice it. I’m in two minds whether to bother watching the fourth given we’d packed up by then.

I would take it to another level even and start the first couple of centre bounces with papley and Parker in the middle, and all of Heeney, Warner and Gulden in the forward line - not for any tactical reason but to purely throw the opposition off. I'd be pretty confident if we lined up like that the opposition would be thrown off their game for 10 or so minutes with their focus being on what just happened and what to do about it rather than 100% mind in the game

I would take it to another level even and start the first couple of centre bounces with papley and Parker in the middle, and all of Heeney, Warner and Gulden in the forward line - not for any tactical reason but to purely throw the opposition off. I'd be pretty confident if we lined up like that the opposition would be thrown off their game for 10 or so minutes with their focus being on what just happened and what to do about it rather than 100% mind in the game
Might as well start the game 1 goal down and 90 seconds off the clock if Papley is in the starting bounce again

Which quarter did that happen? I’ve watched a replay of the first, but it was late on Sat night and I fell asleep. I watched the second and third yesterday and didn’t notice it. I’m in two minds whether to bother watching the fourth given we’d packed up by then.
I think it was 4th q at the randwick end, we were basically rotating Chad and gulden though FF at each centre bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back