Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

When they both basically became allergic to the ball, keeping themselves fit and healthy
If you read the Crows' post-game thread Gulden was actually tagged out of the 2nd half. He must have headed to FF to try and shake it ;)

If you read the Crows' post-game thread Gulden was actually tagged out of the 2nd half. He must have headed to FF to try and shake it ;)
Crows thinking they bettered us in the second half is hilarious, anyone else would recognise we were done. Making sure they didn't win, but also making sure no injuries or suspensions

Which quarter did that happen? I’ve watched a replay of the first, but it was late on Sat night and I fell asleep. I watched the second and third yesterday and didn’t notice it. I’m in two minds whether to bother watching the fourth given we’d packed up by then.
Fourth. Randwick end where I sit. Big KPD just looked confused. McDonald and McLean at HF. Playing silly buggers.
Yep, we totally racked the cue in the 4th.
Adelaide weren't as low effort as some said. Thilthorpe will be good next year. We put together a few nice chains.

For those who think winning the first quarter is critical to us winning finals, there actually an easy solution to the selection conundrum. We’ve won (albeit narrowly) two first quarters in the back end of the season. Who was missing from those two games?
I always knew Heeney is the problem

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last week I talked about our players needing to back themselves in for goal from long-range.

Watching the Crows game back and Rowbottom gets this ball about 55-60 out, an absolute paddock of space all around him and one of the most coveted things in footy - an open forward 50 to run into.

6E68D201-C9D3-4CD2-B334-7490C4C7186A.jpeg

What does Rowbottom do? Doesn't even look at the goals and instead kicks to McDonald - who is averaging 1 contested mark a game this year - in a 1v1 (on what would've been a tight angle from the pocket anyway!)

This scenario simply must be a shot at goal from Rowbottom, or any Swan in that position. No one will ever accuse him of being the second coming of Gary Ablett Jr. by foot, but I am more than comfortable with him launching long-range goals on the run. He used to do it for fun back in the NEAFL days, and kicked a few memorable ones that way in his first few seasons at the highest level. I know he is team-first always, but this is an example of being team-first to a fault.

This is the exact sort of thing I'm talking about in terms of ways we can generate even more scores from the midfield than we already do. And it's so important they have that willingness, because if they are instead putting their trust in our key forwards, then with all due respect to the talls, they're just going to be let down and opportunities will go begging...

Last week I talked about our players needing to back themselves in for goal from long-range.

Watching the Crows game back and Rowbottom gets this ball about 55-60 out, an absolute paddock of space all around him and one of the most coveted things in footy - an open forward 50 to run into.

View attachment 2093455

What does Rowbottom do? Doesn't even look at the goals and instead kicks to McDonald - who is averaging 1 contested mark a game this year - in a 1v1 (on what would've been a tight angle from the pocket anyway!)

This scenario simply must be a shot at goal from Rowbottom, or any Swan in that position. No one will ever accuse him of being the second coming of Gary Ablett Jr. by foot, but I am more than comfortable with him launching long-range goals on the run. He used to do it for fun back in the NEAFL days, and kicked a few memorable ones that way in his first few seasons at the highest level. I know he is team-first always, but this is an example of being team-first to a fault.

This is the exact sort of thing I'm talking about in terms of ways we can generate even more scores from the midfield than we already do. And it's so important they have that willingness, because if they are instead putting their trust in our key forwards, then with all due respect to the talls, they're just going to be let down and opportunities will go begging...
Looking at the pic I was struck that kicking to McDonald was just about the worst option. Almost impossible to get it to his advantage. Dossa, on the other hand, had a nice little lead on his defender and was ready to take it about 35m out on a slight angle. So two better options.

Looking at the pic I was struck that kicking to McDonald was just about the worst option. Almost impossible to get it to his advantage. Dossa, on the other hand, had a nice little lead on his defender and was ready to take it about 35m out on a slight angle. So two better options.
I like all of our talls as you know. But if you have the ball anywhere near the 50m arc and you choose any of them in a 1v1 over having a shot yourself, then you're choosing the wrong option.

They simply aren't reliable enough in marking contests (or set shots, for that matter) to be a better option than just going for home yourself.

I think part of the reason they have worked this year is because they serve as very handy decoys, occupying defenders and leaving plenty of space for mids to run into and fire shots at goals. But the system is dependent on the mids actually having those shots themselves.

View attachment 2093455

I was at the opposite end to that one, but felt like especially in the third we would rather move back and forth sideways to find a pass instead of the take the shot you mention,

Yet our first two goals were because Rowbottom and Rampe backed themselves and took a shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the opposite end to that one, but felt like especially in the third we would rather move back and forth sideways to find a pass instead of the take the shot you mention,

Yet our first two goals were because Rowbottom and Rampe backed themselves and took a shot
Yeah it's always a tough call because as I think it was liz who mentioned last week, if players back themselves and take a shot and then miss, then they're called selfish.

Warner is proof of this, as it's his favourite thing to do and when he misses it can be costly and he's accused of being selfish.

But as dumb as this might sound, I think the way to almost mitigate this selfishness is by everyone kinda taking part in it? If everyone's on the same page that if you're in that 50m range give or take and you have the time and space and you think you have the ability to do it, then just do it.

Of course if there is a better option, then you should take them, but it's more likely those better options will be a medium forward or resting mid one out in a good match up (as Parker was against Caldwell a few times against the Bombers) rather than a tall.

Yeah it's always a tough call because as I think it was liz who mentioned last week, if players back themselves and take a shot and then miss, then they're called selfish.

Warner is proof of this, as it's his favourite thing to do and when he misses it can be costly and he's accused of being selfish.

But as dumb as this might sound, I think the way to almost mitigate this selfishness is by everyone kinda taking part in it? If everyone's on the same page that if you're in that 50m range give or take and you have the time and space and you think you have the ability to do it, then just do it.

Of course if there is a better option, then you should take them, but it's more likely those better options will be a medium forward or resting mid one out in a good match up (as Parker was against Caldwell a few times against the Bombers) rather than a tall.

Yep a fine line, don't want to burn team mates.

The McDonald type in the second annoys me more, mark look To pass, take to long, go back to shoot, then decided to chip, kick straight to an opponent and they create a play.

Better if he did just have a long shot

I like all of our talls as you know. But if you have the ball anywhere near the 50m arc and you choose any of them in a 1v1 over having a shot yourself, then you're choosing the wrong option.

They simply aren't reliable enough in marking contests (or set shots, for that matter) to be a better option than just going for home yourself.

I think part of the reason they have worked this year is because they serve as very handy decoys, occupying defenders and leaving plenty of space for mids to run into and fire shots at goals. But the system is dependent on the mids actually having those shots themselves.
Had a hard think about this but I think it's an exaggeration. There's not a huge difference between any of our players in accuracy and most are decent marks of the footy if not spectacular. The number of times we have got easy goals by finding players in good position (especially "Joe the Goose) is significant. Parker's goal when he sharked the pass intended for Dossa comes to mind.

The McDonald type in the second annoys me more, mark look To pass, take to long, go back to shoot, then decided to chip, kick straight to an opponent and they create a play.

The problem wasn't the choice it was the execution.

Had a hard think about this but I think it's an exaggeration. There's not a huge difference between any of our players in accuracy and most are decent marks of the footy if not spectacular. The number of times we have got easy goals by finding players in good position (especially "Joe the Goose) is significant. Parker's goal when he sharked the pass intended for Dossa comes to mind.
By unreliable I didn't mean they are bad. I meant they're not reliable enough to justify a mid wanting to get it to them rather than just having a shot from a gettable position themselves.

I'd back the mid in from 50m out with one kick, rather than the mid kicking it to the tall, the tall then marking it, and then nailing his set shot.

Kinda needing 3 things to go right when you could just get it right with 1 thing.

By unreliable I didn't mean they are bad. I meant they're not reliable enough to justify a mid wanting to get it to them rather than just having a shot from a gettable position themselves.

I'd back the mid in from 50m out with one kick, rather than the mid kicking it to the tall, the tall then marking it, and then nailing his set shot.

Kinda needing 3 things to go right when you could just get it right with 1 thing.
If it's a contested situation I agree wholeheartedly, especially if there's time to steady, but not if it's an easy mark in a significantly better position.
I think we've explained ourselves enough. We're both right of course!

The problem wasn't the choice it was the execution.

It was the choice , he missed so many , and couldn't decide then tried to play safe and messed up completely , he had numerous chances to make a different decision , there wasn't a swan even close in the end

I honest to god could have gotten myself thrown out after he did that. Was not happy.

I don't think I said they'd be called selfish for taking long pot shots, just chastised (by us, the fans, not the club necessarily) for not looking for another option. Someone else quoted Leigh Matthews saying that lots of long shots at goal results in lots of behinds.

I was reminded of this conversation when I watched the Swans' own video compilation of the best goals of the season. Most of them are shots from long range, while a few others are instinctive, difficult snaps where no attempt was made to look for an easier, alternative option.

This tells me that, maybe, the team takes the long shot option more often than you are giving them credit for. But the other side of the coin is that this video only contains the ones that worked. How long would a video of the ones that didn't work be?

I think the "right" answer is that sometimes going for the long shot is the best idea and sometimes it isn't. A team needs to vary things up so as not to be predictable. For example, if we never looked to pass to any of our three talls, opposition teams would stop worrying about marking them, and instead direct their resources to goal-keeping or to crowding the player about to take the shot or make the pass. And our tall forwards would stop moving and trying to make things more difficult for the opposition defence.

Most of those long shots were taken by players on the move. I don't have stats to support this but I don't think it's controversial to suggest long shots by a player already moving and balanced are more likely to be successful. In addition, it helps when the forward line is relatively uncrowded off the back of fast ball movement down the ground.

Plus, of course, each player needs to know what they are capable of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back