Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line is really interesting. I've banged on a lot about how we lack pressure players at ground level inside 50, so a way to add another could be to take out one of the talls and just play Parker as the third "tall." But aside from the risks that come with changing up the structure we've had for literally four straight seasons in a final, I think the three talls are also important in allowing Parker to do what he's been doing. He's become that nightmare match-up for teams that Heeney has previously been.

Is there a way to have:

1. The three talls
2. Parker forward
3. An additional small besides Papley

And Hayward?

Threre is a way, but we tried it v North once, AFL didnt like it

That's absurd but ok.
We are 14th in the comp for contested possession differential. 16th for ground balls. 10th for hard balls. 18th for loose gets. 7th for clearances. 10th for centre clearances. We scrape into 5th for tackles.

Like I said, great in general play, not so much in the contest.

You don't have to agree with what I said but I don't think it's absurd at all.

Hard one to gague as it felt a very low pressure game.

The good news though is that no injuries happened and our offence looks back. The stats in the last quarter make for ugly reading but the game was long since done and the important thing was to avoid injuries.

That said, the last 10 minutes of the first does leave a few question marks regarding first quarters.

Letting them take so many I50 marks is also annoying, but mostly for my eardrums rather than anything else because some old campaigner that sits directly behind me insists on yelling at 200dB's KICK IT TO ME when the opposition is taking a set shot.

We are 14th in the comp for contested possession differential. 16th for ground balls. 10th for hard balls. 18th for loose gets. 7th for clearances. 10th for centre clearances. We scrape into 5th for tackles.

Like I said, great in general play, not so much in the contest.

You don't have to agree with what I said but I don't think it's absurd at all.
We're number 1 for position on the AFL ladder.

Much of that is down to our midfield blowing games apart.

We're number 1 for position on the AFL ladder.

Much of that is down to our midfield blowing games apart.
And the stability of our defence, and our rebound from half back, and our pressure game, etc etc.

I don't think there is any main reason we have been the best team this year but history has shown there could easily be a main reason we don't win the flag.

I don't understand why it's considered such blasphemy to question our contested ability. It's by far the biggest common denominator in the games we lose and/or play poorly in, and it's by far the most frequently-lamented area of our game by Horse and the players themselves after the games we lose and/or play poorly in. I thought I was really just stating the fairly obvious, not baying for their heads.

Well we’re ****ed then.
We might not be...

In the last three finals series, of the 27 games in total, 14 have had a key forward kick 3 or more goals. That's just over 50% of finals.

3 of those 27 games saw a key forward from the eventual premiers kick 3 or more goals. 9% of them.

19 key forwards have kicked 3 or more goals in those games and won 12 of them, for a win rate of 63%.

Big forwards are handy to have but finals can easily be won without relying on them for big scores.

And if you need any more cause for optimism on this subject - some of those 19 key forwards to have kicked 3 or more goals in a final included names like Joel Smith, Max King, Ollie Lord and Eric Hipwood.

None of them have kicked 9 goals in a match :p

And the stability of our defence, and our rebound from half back, and our pressure game, etc etc.

I don't think there is any main reason we have been the best team this year but history has shown there could easily be a main reason we don't win the flag.

I don't understand why it's considered such blasphemy to question our contested ability. It's by far the biggest common denominator in the games we lose and/or play poorly in, and it's by far the most frequently-lamented area of our game by Horse and the players themselves after the games we lose and/or play poorly in. I thought I was really just stating the fairly obvious, not baying for their heads.
There is no issue with challenging our contested ball winning but you've extrapolated that out all year to the coaching staff having no idea how to get the midfield going in any capacity and referring to them as our big area of concern when in fact, they're our biggest strength. You blew up deluxe last night at quarter time like you frequently do, sacking Horse and Cox because of our apparent set up deficiencies.

No, we don't have a contested beast like Rowell or Cripps but there isn't a side in the comp that can match the firepower of Gulden, Warner and Heeney backed by the tenacity of Rowbottom with a cameo from Parker.

There is no issue with challenging our contested ball winning but you've extrapolated that out all year to the coaching staff having no idea how to get the midfield going in any capacity and referring to them as our big area of concern when in fact, they're our biggest strength. You blew up deluxe last night at quarter time like you frequently do, sacking Horse and Cox because of our apparent set up deficiencies.

No, we don't have a contested beast like Rowell or Cripps but there isn't a side in the comp that can match the firepower of Gulden, Warner and Heeney backed by the tenacity of Rowbottom with a cameo from Parker.
Oh it wasn't just last night. I've been consistent for multiple years now that whoever is in charge of our midfield needs to go. And I've also been consistent that Horse will never win another flag until he gets a midfield together that can avoid regular whoopings in the contest, because it will cost us a win in a final if it happens. And then all the other stuff you mention won't matter. That's not me blowing up, it's just me stating the obvious. We all watched the GF in 2022.

And if that group lifts their performance and delivers, then I will be the first one to sing their praises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Roberts
31 disposals, 10 marks, three tackles, 436m gained.Another starring performance from Matty Roberts, and what a season he has had in the red and white!

Selection is tough.

If you have three talls Hayward, Papley and mids resting do you need Parker there to start? But then he keeps marking and kicking goals , so why wouldn't you?

Campbell hasn't got much of it, but his last few weeks especially has been growing into the role and he is one of our best kicks, but do we trust him against the best to get the ball?

Adams busts in and have they been managing him for more game time in September, Have defended him a lot but if all he can give is 68% game time for whatever reason then well he won't stay in then ahead of the two above.

Do we need Fox as sub? for versatility?

I think Heeney and Mccartin walk in, can't see Papley not starting and honestly if Jmac is fit stuff making him sub we need him and maybe that means with Roberts lloyd florent in form Campbell goes out
As good as Campbell has been the past 3 weeks, if they're backing McInerney to play a full game, it's a like-for-like swap. Jmac gets more of the footy and his disposal is equally elite.

Cleary is similarly unlucky but Papley would come in for him. Like-for-like again.

McCartin for Francis. Fox is no longer best 22, so Heeney comes in for him. Those 2 are the obvious ones.

Adams sub for his big game experience and we know he'll crack in when it gets tough. I wouldn't mind Campbell as sub over Adams, but I don't really think the sub role suits him. He seems to struggle to contribute in that role.

Good problems to have in any case.

I hate feeling this optimistic, but feels like everything is falling into place for us.

Parker is making significant contributions as a forward as we had hoped, Mills has found some form, Melican and Rampe are back and look reliable as ever, Blakey was great last night after 2 poor months, Papley, McInerney and McCartin due back in the next few weeks. Grundy gets the rest he looks like he really needed. Players on the precipice of best 23 in Cleary and Campbell have shown that they're clearly up to it. Exciting times.

I hate feeling this optimistic, but feels like everything is falling into place for us.

Parker is making significant contributions as a forward as we had hoped, Mills has found some form, Melican and Rampe are back and look reliable as ever, Blakey was great last night after 2 poor months, Papley, McInerney and McCartin due back in the next few weeks. Grundy gets the rest he looks like he really needed. Players on the precipice of best 23 in Cleary and Campbell have shown that they're clearly up to it. Exciting times.

Also except for Port everyone else has had a recent loss or two :

Let me know if you wanna catch up and hang out this week, I'll sort that out for you

The only thing I’d say to temper your optimism is that that very impressive display last night was against the fourth last club in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Finish the H&A season on a winning note, 31 point winners against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back