Official 2013 Collingwood Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless there both always injured!
Given the Dogs and Dons are currently stalling regarding Stewart Crameri; should Collingwood be making an enquiry?

Recruiting Crameri will allow Reid to return to defence.

Seriously I can understand the hold up in the Adams and Shaw trades but White this should have been done already

We might lose one of these deals
As caringbush said or we're trying to leverage an early 3rd rounder from GWS (a pick they won't use) to acquire White.

not sure why people need these deals to be done quickly, we have another 2 weeks, any player we acquire wont be able to play for us until round 1 next year, so not sure why it matters

Seriously I can understand the hold up in the Adams and Shaw trades but White this should have been done already

Dekka stated listed player contract extensions would be signed off when the the Shaw/ Daisy deals were finalized.

It would not surprise if White's recruitment if it comes to fruition as suspected is announced at a similar time.

After all White has already relocated and I doubt that would have occurred if he did not have a guarantee from a club.

Given the Dogs and Dons are currently stalling regarding Stewart Crameri; should Collingwood be making an enquiry?

Recruiting Crameri will allow Reid to return to defence.

Dogs are offering Crameri something stupid like 2mil over 4 years for crameri who at best is an honest toiler who kicks 30-40 goals a year and doing not much else, would pay 300k for him but i think you'd need to offer around 500k to get him

not sure why people need these deals to be done quickly, we have another 2 weeks, any player we acquire wont be able to play for us until round 1 next year, so not sure why it matters

2 weeks to long I think.

The sooner the players can be introduced to the facilities, playing, coaching staff etc the sooner they can settle.

Then there's areas such as discussing roles, game plans, pre-Xmas training regimes and goal setting, Op's/ rehab, preseason training, trials, practice matches etc.

Not to mention the important discussions surrounding the off season stories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did l hear correctly ( a hine interview), that we are planning to go to draft day with only 1st round picks. That hine believes it to be a very weak draft. All the second round picks and later to be traded for players or not used at all, to allow for upgrading rookies etc?????

Did l hear correctly ( a hine interview), that we are planning to go to draft day with only 1st round picks. That hine believes it to be a very weak draft. All the second round picks and later to be traded for players or not used at all, to allow for upgrading rookies etc?????

I've been listening to most things out there and that's the first i've heard of this, however it would make sense.

We already have 2 first round picks and it seems like we could trade our 2nd/3rd rounder for jessie white and then other picks late in the draft to upgrade dywer and maybe someone else. I'm not sure how we get that 3rd 1st rounder though if we are also going to get adams.

I've been listening to most things out there and that's the first i've heard of this, however it would make sense.

We already have 2 first round picks and it seems like we could trade our 2nd/3rd rounder for jessie white and then other picks late in the draft to upgrade dywer and maybe someone else. I'm not sure how we get that 3rd 1st rounder though if we are also going to get adams.
Maybe an early 2rounder then???

If we miss out on Adams and trade Shaw. Could be 3 1st rounders?????

yeah potentially, but i get the feeling GWS are the only team going to be willing to give away a 1st rounder for shaw, and if we were going to trade with them then surely Adams would have to be a part of that

What he means is that we will swap 2nd, 3rd picks for players and concentrate only on first round picks because he doesnt think talent is very deep.

For example
So basically if shaw goes for adams
We use pick 10,11 in draft
Swap 2nd rounder for henderson
Swap 3rd rounder for white
Upgrade players with remaining picks

Nothing really suprising to be honest.

Would like us to try get GWS pick 19 somehow, blair or goldsack or martin maybe to clinch it.

Would giv us adams, picks 10,11,19, henderson and white.

yeah potentially, but i get the feeling GWS are the only team going to be willing to give away a 1st rounder for shaw, and if we were going to trade with them then surely Adams would have to be a part of that
If Geelong want Shaw they will give us pick 15.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think we'll lose any deals from delays, particularly the White one as the Pies and Swans have said that they are committed to finalising a deal with each other involving White. The players have chosen us over other suitors and I think we've got a pretty good trading history with the Swans and have done a deal in the past with GWS.

I think the hold up for the week is down to compensation picks as a clubs trading position/strategy may change if they don't get the pick they expect. If Collingwood was to get pick 20 instead of pick 11 it could change the whole Adams deal as we would be reluctant to trade pick 10 and GWS would be reluctant to accept the Thomas compo so it could mean more time at the table to find an alternative exchange. Throw in the added possibilities of Shaw choosing where he wants to go. I get the impression that GWS would prefer Shaw to be part of the deal for Adams and I think that suits us. Even if Shaw had of selected GWS I still think we'd be waiting to see what the Thomas compo is. Of course from our point of view Shaw plus pick 20 compo for Adams is acceptable, but not Shaw plus pick 11. So it would mean finding alternative add ons to get the deal through, but we have to wait to see what that compo pick is.

The buddy deal adds uncertainty to predicting the compo as it challenges the current system. If the rules are followed then Thomas compo is greater than Buddy compo and that's going to be howled down. As well all know the AFL can be very sensitive to criticism and can manipulate things to avoid it. They could drop the Thomas compo down to Band 2, but they would know that they will be howled down for doing this. So I'm expecting them to improve the Buddy compo and given that's outside the rules they will take their time as the decision is setting a precendent. I can see them setting the buddy compo as being inbetween the teams that finished 8th and 9th which this year would see the buddy compo as being greater than Thomas. It also doesn't give a top 5 pick to the premiers.

The more I read about GWS in this trade period the more I can see us holding onto pick 10 plus Thomas compo as I can see them making a good play for Shaw and possibly another senior player. They've got plenty of talented kids and don't really need another. Instead what they need are senior bodies and leadership around the ground to teach team structures and reinforce team disciplines onfield. We've got those types and can afford to offload one. I know Blair has caused some debate and I'm happy to keep or trade him. While he's not essential and is pretty much playing at his best, he is a contributor, hard worker and comes across as a guy that helps bind the playing group.

I can see us going into the upcoming draft and using just two picks and then making rookie list upgrades. Ultimately I'd like to see us hold onto all our first round picks and try to see if we can convert our 2nd rounder into another top 20 pick. Failing that a quality player such as Henderson or Docherty is fine by me. Coming into the trade period I would have said no to trading a second round pick for White, but after the pick 28 for Hampson we may end up making the deal for some reasons Hampson went for 28. I suppose it does come down to how much salary cap pressure the Swans are under and do we want to potentially piss them off (what goes around, comes around and all that). I don't want Tony Armstrong as steak knives, but then again said the same thing about Medhurst. Will have to trust in the club on this one.

As for which kids we take I'd be happy for us to take a chance on this McCarthy kid if he lands at pick his talent is worth spending on. I know next year is said to have a lot of quality talls, but it won't matter if every club sets itself up to go for talls in that draft and we finish about the same again. The quality will be gone by the time our first pick is up and I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on a tall talent that is only worth a second round or third round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2013 Collingwood Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back