Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The definitive 2008 player cull.

Unless Goodwin (the captain) retires on his own free will, he will not be sacked. Simon Goodwin has earned enough respect to have that honour.

Did anyone get any sort of indication from any of the players (except Bassett) that they may hang up the boots as they walked off the ground?

Posted this in another thread but here it is again.

DELISTEES

Greg Gallman - Has had an injury interrupted year. Probably a bit unfair as he hasnt had the chance to give his all, however that is the nature of the beast and just seems nothing more than an average player with a big engine

The crows will give him the extra year, he will be the next Bassett. I reckon he will be a gun, it is a bit harsh to rate him on his current performances.

Gill is gone.

Hitman Jericho is probably someone who we could get something for.

Some Vic club would take him.

Obviously Bassett and Biglands have retired and Goodwin may be considering his future

Kenny and Jericho seem obvious delistings

however other delistings may be subjected to what we gain or give away during the trade period

IMO the players under the most pressure include
Campbell - not the type of player that we need at present
Shirley - tough call but may face the same Torney decision
Gallman - SANFL Performance may cost him
Sellar - has the club lost patience

IMO players that should be safe but not out of the woods
Doughty - voted by his peers as the clubs most courageous
Massie - can play the Bassett role
Gill -fitness :confused: over Hentchel, no Burton and a lack of mature forwards should be enough to save him

IMO Radar will be traded back to Melbourne

Re: List Management - Who What and Why

DELISTEES

Nathan Bassett - Retired

Rhett Biglands - Retired

Bryce Campbell - Not good enough, at 23 he really should be showing more. Hard as nails and gives his all but we have enough 'try-hard' players as it is.

Greg Gallman - Has had an injury interrupted year. Probably a bit unfair as he hasnt had the chance to give his all, however that is the nature of the beast and just seems nothing more than an average player with a big engine

James Sellar - A very interesting one. I don't want him delisted but I have a funny feeling Neil Craig has seen enough. I also question his off-field behaviour and feel this is a similar scenario to Pfeiffer 2007. I don't think Neil Craig will take his first round selection into consideration - it's either you're good enough or you're not, regardless of where you're drafted, and i don't think that Neil Craig thinks he has the drive or ability to be successful. :(

Simon Goodwin - I think his days are finished. His body is breaking down and looks like a similar scenario to Ricciuto last year. Can''t really afford to keep another injured 30+ year old on our list for another year.

Luke Jericho - I think enough has already been said :mad:

Kris Massie - Has had an ok year, but is very replaceable and I would rather see a young player develop in his place.

Ken McGregor - Will have his contract paid out.

*Hopefully my gut feeling on James Sellar is wrong. If it is, I think we may be saying goodbye to Gill.

Pretty much spot on. i would rather gill go and we give sellar another year and then if he has still shown nothing get rid of him them. Gill is a good sanfl player and tries hard but he isnt going to get any better where as sellar could and should get better.

There might also be a shock delisting or 2 given NCs stance on agressive list management.

When did the AFC or even Neil Craig come out and publically scold James Sellar over his SANFL form?
Did i miss something or are people just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 regarding his future?

A 19 year old lad who was taken as a first round draft pick should be give a 3rd year to impress, regardless of his current form. Last pre season Neil Craig came out and praised James in the media on his work ethic and how it has improved, i haven’t heard anything since. Where are you people getting this negative information from?

- Biglands
- Bassett
- McGregor
- Jericho
- Goodwin
- Gallman
- Shirley
- Doughty

There are two players in that list who announced their retirement and one that needs to be given the golden hand shake, along with McCleod and Tyson...

Hard Calls I know, but when you look at the ages of these players, you got to ask yourself, when do you start blooding youth?

When did the AFC or even Neil Craig come out and publically scold James Sellar over his SANFL form?
Did i miss something or are people just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 regarding his future?

A 19 year old lad who was taken as a first round draft pick should be give a 3rd year to impress, regardless of his current form. Last pre season Neil Craig came out and praised James in the media on his work ethic and how it has improved, i haven’t heard anything since. Where are you people getting this negative information from?

never, however privately the Club does have concerns over James lack of consistency with his competitveness and his intensity, at training and during a game

If we delist Sellar, I reckon our coaching staff are admitting they cant coach. Has heaps of potential and the perfect sized body. Its the coaches job to teach him and get the performance out of him. IMO delisting him is just taking the easy way out. I'll be flipping spewing if they take the soft cook option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we delist Sellar, I reckon our coaching staff are admitting they cant coach. Has heaps of potential and the perfect sized body. Its the coaches job to teach him and get the performance out of him. IMO delisting him is just taking the easy way out. I'll be flipping spewing if they take the soft cook option.

you can coach skill, decision making and knowledge of the game

however you can't coach Desire Intensity and Competitveness, this needs to come from the player, this is the concern not his ability

Doughty, Massie or Shirley will go before Gill

How many HBFs do we have, not counting Danger, Otten, Petrenko, Kite etc etc etc

How many CHFs do we have?

FFS you don't delist your best (only) CHF

totally agree

Hentchel has injury concerns, Tippett and Walker are deep inside 50 forwards, so unless we find someone else in the trade Gill will be staying

I think we need to keep Massie for at least another year. Can't blood too many young backmen if are to remain relatively competitive. I see Massie as being Bassett-esque somewhat.... obviously not exact. I think Goodwin may have another acceptable season in him yet. I'd rather keep Gill as well for a little longer as he can take a good mark and kick goals somewhat. Someone mentioned Doughty, but I think this years form has earnt him atleast another year. Otherwise the rest can go in my opinion.

however you can't coach Desire Intensity and Competitveness, this needs to come from the player, this is the concern not his ability

More than anything like that, you can't teach someone to not have a turning circle of a cruiseliner.

Rubbish. The coach can, and the good ones do. Mick Malthouse has turned lazy arse Medhurst into top line palyer, just as one example. Dont tell me coahes like Blight, Malthouse, Lethal, Sheedy and the like havent turned lazy young men into professional, elite AFL footballers. Theyve done it time and time again. Thats what good coaches do. FFS motivating and bringing the competative nature out of players is the bread and butter of coaching. I remember hearing Kerley give a speach one day at West Adelaide way back in the early 80's, and I tell you I would have charged the beach at Galipolli after it. If Craig cant make a player feel like he can do it, that he wants to do it and he has to do it, he isnt a football coaches arse.

totally agree

Hentchel has injury concerns, Tippett and Walker are deep inside 50 forwards, so unless we find someone else in the trade Gill will be staying
Taylor can actually play CHF and FF he does for Norwood and does both extremely well.

So i think it is a much wiser idea to go with youth that the 27 year old Gill who has reached his peak skills wont improve from now

Sellar has shown desire and competitiveness. That was something he worked on so hard over the pre season.

He's 19 or 20 now, why would we just get rid of him? That would just be such a waste.

I think today proved how desperately we need a fit and firing Radar; would've been nice to have someone with a big, penetrating, accurate kick today.

Agree completely. Would be extremely disappointed to lose Radar. To me, he can be in out top 3 midfielders, if not our best, with a full season of play. He looked brilliant in the pre-season and his game against the Dogs in Round 1 was shaping to be a BOG performance until the thug Minson hit him. H ehas skill, poise and is a very classy player, if we were to trade that away we would be stupid.

Sellar has shown desire and competitiveness. That was something he worked on so hard over the pre season.

He's 19 or 20 now, why would we just get rid of him? That would just be such a waste.

exactly!

more to the pnt we drafted him KNOWING he'd take a couple of seasons to A) learn his position and B) get his body up to standard.

how much of this is simply supporters not getting the payoff NOW? We knew he'd take time to develope when we drafted him, cutting him now because he's taking time seems really stupid...

hi guys, too bad about today really wanted crows to win ( hate PIES)

just wondering what the general thoughts were amongst adelaide supporters in regards to 2 tiger fowards that are from sa shultz & hughes

do you guys think there would be any intrest from the crows if so
a realistic view of what they might be worth to the crows.

good luck next year,

exactly!

more to the pnt we drafted him KNOWING he'd take a couple of seasons to A) learn his position and B) get his body up to standard.

how much of this is simply supporters not getting the payoff NOW? We knew he'd take time to develope when we drafted him, cutting him now because he's taking time seems really stupid...

but is he getting better?

eventually you have to cut your losses

exactly!

Correct i dont mean to Harp on it but Gill is the Forward that needs to be delisted

Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back