Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW AFL ROUND 19 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Saturday July 23rd at 7.10pm @ the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYEYvupaUAI01ru

adams for gardiner instead of payne

payne is the future
Lester for Payne. Lester offers greater leadership and flexibility. Was BOG in reserves last round. Clearly in great form.
#Lesterism

Lester for Payne. Lester offers greater leadership and flexibility. Was BOG in reserves last round. Clearly in great form.
#Lesterism
I did not see the VFL last week
But i am fairly sure you would have had Lester BOG even if he came on late as a sub :)

I did not see the VFL last week
But i am fairly sure you would have had Lester BOG even if he came on late as a sub :)
Match high 30 disposals and loads of intercept marks playing at CHB
#Lesternista

Last edited:
We are playing for the now.🏆
I like Payne for the now as well, sometimes I think his big intercept grabs get underrated, they are things Gardiner in particular just can’t do and while Payne can make some mistakes I don’t think they’re anymore frequent or costly than any of our other key defenders.

In my opinion the changes for this week are rather straight forward. Stiff in a few players but straight forward
Big O for Fort
Berry for Sharp
Rich for Cocky
Zorko for Robbo

I laugh at teams when they bomb it straight up the middle against us or are super aggressive from kick ins - while occasionally they might get a good result and clear the zone, most of the time Harris punches it back inside 50 and we are well set up to score.
Himmelberg did a massive torp the week he first played down back this year, generated a goal from it...

...he's since tried it a few more times, but now that every team knows how far he can kick it's almost always a turnover in the middle of the ground. It was literally because the opponent was unaware he had that available to him.

Going up the middle of the ground is great if and only if you can either catch the team by surprise or you identify a mismatch or a free player. And you have to be damn sure, because if not almost only bad things will happen.

Himmelberg did a massive torp the week he first played down back this year, generated a goal from it...

...he's since tried it a few more times, but now that every team knows how far he can kick it's almost always a turnover in the middle of the ground. It was literally because the opponent was unaware he had that available to him.

Going up the middle of the ground is great if and only if you can either catch the team by surprise or you identify a mismatch or a free player. And you have to be damn sure, because if not almost only bad things will happen.
It takes a Drummond like kick to successfully bang it down the middle . It can be a lethal weapon if as you say you just use it to surprise in a suitable situation if you have the player to execute it. Probably once or twice a game at most could be doable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could easily loose this game if our key forwards don't sharpen right up. Since our LWLWLWLW form slump over the past couple of months Daniher's 1.4 goals a game @44% accuracy, Hippy's 1.4 @50% & McStay's 1.0 @50%. Sure we've been kicking from harder positions & under pressure lately but that's so under par it's embarrassing!!

We could easily loose this game if our key forwards don't sharpen right up. Since our LWLWLWLW form slump over the past couple of months Daniher's 1.4 goals a game @44% accuracy, Hippy's 1.4 @50% & McStay's 1.0 @50%. Sure we've been kicking from harder positions & under pressure lately but that's so under par it's embarrassing!!
From memory Daniher, Hipwood and McStay are all left footers. Does anyone else feels this narrows our forward affectiveness. Many other teams seem to be using the pocket leads more with the around the corner kicks being more productive now days. Goals from our left hand side only come seem to come from our smalls. I haven’t got stats to back this up but it just feels this way.

Daniher has to grow up a bit and stop playing like an Under 17. He needs to stop flying from 4 back trying to take mark of the century (unrealistic attempt - free to opponent) and do the required repetitive hard running, leading into space dragging his man with him and opening space for others when his lead isn’t honoured. He also needs to hold his feet more. He goes to ground far too easily and as I tell my U10’s, you are not much value when you have lost your feet and are on the ground. Someone should sit him in front of a Jeremy Cameron isolation / highlights reel and talk him through it. Alternatively, he could take a long look at Bernie Quinlan, a Brownlow medalist and centurion goal kicker in 1983 and 1984. Quinlan used every one of his weapons AND he was beautifully balanced - rarely losing his feet

If Daniher can do this he will start to hit the scoreboard more frequently and players like McCarthy and Rayner will be even more effective as they clean up in his wake.

Simply put - Daniher can help us win a flag if he gets back to basics and plays solid fundamental football.

Last edited:
Daniher has to grow up a bit and stop playing like an Under 17. He needs to stop flying from 4 back trying to take mark of the century (unrealistic attempt - free to opponent) and do the required repetitive hard running, leading into space dragging his man with him and opening space for others when his lead isn’t honoured. He my also needs to hold his feet. He goes to ground far too easily and as I tell my U10’s, you are not much value when you have lost your feet and are on the ground. Someone should sit him in front of a Jeremy Cameron isolation / highlights reel and talk him through it. Alternatively, he could take a long look at Bernie Quinlan, a Brownlow medalist and centurion goal kicker in 1983and 1984. Quinlan used every one of his weapons AND he was beautifully balanced - rarely losing his feet

If Daniher can do this he will start to hit the scoreboard more frequently and players like McCarthy and Rayner will be even more effective as they clean up in his wake.

Simply put - Daniher can help us win a flag if he gets back to basics and plays solid fundamental football.

Agree with you about Joey's behavior over the last 4-5 games but asking Daniher to replicate even some of the things Bernie Quinlan did is delusional. I'm not saying Joey isnt a good footballer but I am saying there is no comparison to both players no matter how much Joey improve's his game. I think Joey could concentrate more on getting the footy rather than looking for a free kick would also help significantly as well. I do know his shoulder isn't 100% but most players in our 22 play with some sort of niggle almost every week.

Simply put - Daniher can help us win a flag if he gets back to basics and plays solid fundamental football. 100% agree. We need him at his best.

Agree with you about Joey's behavior over the last 4-5 games but asking Daniher to replicate even some of the things Bernie Quinlan did is delusional. I'm not saying Joey isnt a good footballer but I am saying there is no comparison to both players no matter how much Joey improve's his game. I think Joey could concentrate more on getting the footy rather than looking for a free kick would also help significantly as well. I do know his shoulder isn't 100% but most players in our 22 play with some sort of niggle almost every week.

Simply put - Daniher can help us win a flag if he gets back to basics and plays solid fundamental football. 100% agree. We need him at his best.
Great post. Just to clarify, Quinlan was referred to as “The Master” by his teammates for obvious reasons and there is no comparison between he and Daniher intended. He isn’t even close.

What he could do is to watch what the absolute greats of the game did and try to learn from them. Daniher seems to have always got by on raw and precocious football talent, where we need him to improve his ‘forward craft’ and master the fundamentals.

Great post. Just to clarify, Quinlan was referred to as “The Master” by his teammates for obvious reasons and there is no comparison between he and Daniher intended. He isn’t even close.

What he could do is to watch what the absolute greats of the game did and try to learn from them. Daniher seems to have always got by on raw and precocious football talent, where we need him to improve his ‘forward craft’ and master the fundamentals.
Had a bit to do with Bernie in the early 80's. Superboot was special on & off the field. (still is off the field) Unique champion of the game that could do things no other player could ever do...still could ever do.

Had a bit to do with Bernie in the early 80's. Superboot was special on & off the field. (still is off the field) Unique champion of the game that could do things no other player could ever do...still could ever do.
We should get him to the club as a mentor.

Leigh rated him the greatest forward he played against because wherever he got it over the ground he was going to hurt you.

As a prototype player he'd be unstoppable in today's game because he could play anywhere , mark ,kicked better than anyone ever , and run. In the era he played in he could be targeted illegally, things that just don't happen now.

Great guy , very modest of his own abilities and dealt in a dignified manner with the things that life serves up.

Quinlan was my fav when I was young, pretty sure I was at most of those games as we used to go every week.
Was a super special player.. Really liked that era of footy.. Yes showing my age
Although lots of players got picked as they had incredible skills and all had a day job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back