2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

They are very confident on the North board about McCartney. There might be some merit to it as well.

If he wants North, fair play.

Academies are a player pathway and it is good that we can continue the development of McCartney.

And if he wants to return home to Sydney... well that is great too

If he wants North, fair play.

Academies are a player pathway and it is good that we can continue the development of McCartney.

And if he wants to return home to Sydney... well that is great too
I only think about these things from my selfish perspective.

I don't want to spend two years watching a young player thinking he might play for us, only to have him go to North.

That is the opposite of an acceptable sequence of events.

I don't want to spend two years watching a young player thinking he might play for us, only to have him go to North.

Completely get that and same on my end.

But it is what it is. He has the option to chose and the club has two years to win him over

Do those games not effectively operate as trial games for the GF curtain raiser? Despite missing the U18 championships through injury, if he performs well in those games (assuming he gets a chance), he'll be in the running to play in the GF curtain raiser.
Yeah, it’s pretty much a “qualifier” for players to make their cases to be picked for that GF day game

The club would have to be pretty dumb to not realise that could be a probable outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCartney has the chance to do the funniest thing ever.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at North, though. We don’t own them just because they’re in our academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We actually kinda do - to the extent that players who sign up to the U18 year of our academy are obliged to allow themselves to be nominated by us. The one thing exception, of course, is that players who qualify under the FS rule are allowed to opt out and instead be nominated by their FS club.

I have no issue with that. But I do have issue with those who argue that such players - who have been largely developed by the academy, usually with no significant contribution from the FS club, shouldn’t be allowed to instead stick with their academy. That FS clubs should have first dibs, despite the whole FS mechanism being entirely optional for players, which recognises that FS clubs absolutely don’t “own” the offspring of their former players.

We actually kinda do - to the extent that players who sign up to the U18 year of our academy are obliged to allow themselves to be nominated by us. The one thing exception, of course, is that players who qualify under the FS rule are allowed to opt out and instead be nominated by their FS club.

I have no issue with that. But I do have issue with those who argue that such players - who have been largely developed by the academy, usually with no significant contribution from the FS club, shouldn’t be allowed to instead stick with their academy. That FS clubs should have first dibs, despite the whole FS mechanism being entirely optional for players, which recognises that FS clubs absolutely don’t “own” the offspring of their former players.

I don’t disagree with any of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally dislike the F/S rule. So what? For all it's rubbish I prefer the NGA and/or Cat B.

Young McCartney I think?
That's what I thought - but was posted during the McGoder discussion and no name. Couldn't make sense of it.

McGroder athletics prodigy by the looks of things. Kid seems to be good at whatever he turns his hand to. Hope we don't lose him to athletics but who knows, just enjoy it while we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back