Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've probably made my feelings on the matter known over quite a while now but will add just a little more information about how the Geelong mafia and the AFL managers manipulated the trade season. Listening to journo's acclaiming Mackie for his masterful trading made me want to puke because he literally had 2 then 3 and finally 4 first round picks handed to him by clever player managers who instigated the moves and then used the media to see they went through.

1. Tanner Bruhn was an obvious target (and don't think Mackie came up with the strategy...this has Wells all over it) as an ex-Falcon out of contract* and at a club needing to shed $$$. His manager Robbie D'Orazio was praised by GFC along with GWS's managers for making the deal go so smoothly.

Remember the strategy: Don't sign a mid year contract
Remember the manager: Robbie D'Orazio

2. Jack Bowes is the Well's masterstroke. A VFL player contracted for a further 2 seasons @$850,000PA gets woo'd midyear by the Cats??? Why??
He did reveal there was contact made by Cats star Patrick Dangerfield during the season in the form of a text message while he was going about his business in the VFL.
“There was a funny message, he actually text my manager, I think he must have been watching one of the VFL games towards the middle of the year. Just that he was interested.
“(Cats list manager) Andrew Mackie was there at the time as well. I think Geelong have been in contact with Robbie for quite some time and I guess that helped with the decision as well.

“Patty is managed through the same management as I, Connors Sports,” he said.
“Paul (Connors) and Robbie are pretty close with him and I’ve had some connection with him through that over the journey."

So Robbie (D'Orazio) who also manages Patrick was "selling" an idea to the GFC brokers....gee I wonder what might attract Geelong to a bloke with a huge price tag playing in the Gold Coast reserves??? Gary Ablett Jnr apparently recommended him.....lol.

So WHO did come up with the idea of attaching Pick 7 to a VFL player's trade in order to make clearing his huge $$$ contract off their books?
Remember that name again: Robbie D'Orazio.

3. Ollie Henry was a "by catch" of the original game plan. Remember, Geelong had been thwarted in getting hold of Ollie and Tanner Bruhn in the 2020 draft because they were paying out first rounders for Jeremy Cameron. But that's where the process actually begins because both boys would have been told "we'll get you back...don't sign anything in your second year before you talk to us." And neither did.

At draft time Mackie played cool on Ollie because he wasn't sure he could get the Pick 7 and then Ollie. How the AFL signed off on the Jack Bowes "trade" (read: draft steal) is beyond belief....but hey Geelong has some serious clout at AFL house. Steve Hocking recently retired AFL General manager....would KNOW absolutely everything there is to know about getting a deal through the AFL, hence they not only get a Pick 7 for the cost of a third rounder but they also get to spread the length of Bowes contract out over 4-5 years so he becomes just another Cat player on "unders".
If that's not "creative accounting" I'll go hee.

So Mackie gets pick 7 (handed to him by a clever player agent and the AFL), he already has Tanner Bruhn (via the same said player agent) and now he has Ollie Henry handed to him by an agent running plays straight from the Paul Conners/ Robbie D'Orazio playbook. Don't sign any contract midseason*, tell the media (and everybody else) late that you just want to go home....its the recipe for success in AFL trades these days. Get yourself out of contract and then say you want to go home....leaves your club short sided and blindsided at the same time....and the Catters grinning from ear to ear.

The fact that Wright actually got Mackie to have to trade a former first round pick is about the only win he could have got after the sod traded out all his other picks and left Collingwood the "choice" of 25 or nothing. Getting the Hawks (his former club) involved obviously helped this trade but in the end the Cats made out like thieves due to a lot of AFL Insider Knowledge (via Hocking and Wells) and the assistance of two or three very shady player managers (Conners, D'Orazio and McConville)

The role of player managers, second and third parties (former coaches/team mates) and networks such as Geelong has via their feeders (the Geelong Falcons, Geelong Grammar, G/College, St.Joey's, St. Mary's, ) ensures they stay in touch with draftees even when they've moved interstate. They've successfully used the loophole in the AFL draft (targeting 2nd year players and using the "go home" card) making sure these players (all of whom are 1st round draft picks by other clubs) do not sign extension contracts when they're offered in the second year and having managers facilitating their move home by publicising it via the media.

Andrew Mackie did not win the trade season this year....he had it handed to him on a plate!

I think I've probably made my feelings on the matter known over quite a while now but will add just a little more information about how the Geelong mafia and the AFL managers manipulated the trade season. Listening to journo's acclaiming Mackie for his masterful trading made me want to puke because he literally had 2 then 3 and finally 4 first round picks handed to him by clever player managers who instigated the moves and then used the media to see they went through.

1. Tanner Bruhn was an obvious target (and don't think Mackie came up with the strategy...this has Wells all over it) as an ex-Falcon out of contract* and at a club needing to shed $$$. His manager Robbie D'Orazio was praised by GFC along with GWS's managers for making the deal go so smoothly.

2. Jack Bowes is the Well's masterstroke. A VFL player contracted for a further 2 seasons @$850,000PA gets woo'd midyear by the Cats??? Why??
He did reveal there was contact made by Cats star Patrick Dangerfield during the season in the form of a text message while he was going about his business in the VFL.
“There was a funny message, he actually text my manager, I think he must have been watching one of the VFL games towards the middle of the year. Just that he was interested.
“(Cats list manager) Andrew Mackie was there at the time as well. I think Geelong have been in contact with Robbie for quite some time and I guess that helped with the decision as well.

“Paul (Connors) and Robbie are pretty close with him and I’ve had some connection with him through that over the journey."

So Robbie (D'Orazio) who also manages Patrick was "selling" an idea to the GFC brokers....gee I wonder what might attract Geelong to a bloke with a huge price tag playing in the Gold Coast reserves??? Gary Ablett Jnr apparently recommended him.....lol.

So WHO did come up with the idea of attaching Pick 7 to a VFL player's trade in order to make clearing his huge $$$ contract off their books?

3. Ollie Henry was a "by catch" of the original game plan. Remember, Geelong had been thwarted in getting hold of Ollie and Tanner Bruhn in the 2020 draft because they were paying out first rounders for Jeremy Cameron. But that's where the process actually begins because both boys would have been told "we'll get you back...don't sign anything in your second year before you talk to us." And neither did.

At draft time Mackie played cool on Ollie because he wasn't sure he could get the Pick 7 and then Ollie. How the AFL signed off on the Jack Bowes "trade" (read: draft steal) is beyond belief....but hey Geelong has some serious clout at AFL house. Steve Hocking recently retired AFL General manager....would KNOW absolutely everything there is to know about getting a deal through the AFL, hence they not only get a Pick 7 for the cost of a third rounder but they also get to spread the length of Bowes contract out over 4-5 years so he becomes just another Cat player on "unders".

So Mackie gets pick 7 (handed to him by a clever player agent and the AFL), he already has Tanner Bruhn (via the same said player agent) and now he has Ollie Henry handed to him by an agent running plays straight from the Paul Conners/ Robbie D'Orazio playbook. Don't sign any contract midseason*, tell the media (and everybody else) late that you just want to go home....its the recipe for success in AFL trades these days. Get yourself out of contract and then say you want to go home....leaves your club short sided and blindsided at the same time....and the Catters grinning from ear to ear.

The fact that Wright actually got Mackie to have to trade a former first round pick is about the only win he could have got after the sod traded out all his other picks and left Collingwood the "choice" of 25 or nothing. Getting the Hawks (his former club) involved obviously helped this trade but in the end the Cats made out like thieves due to a lot of AFL Insider Knowledge (via Hocking and Wells) and the assistance of two or three very shady player managers (Conners, D'Orazio and McConville)

The role of player managers, second and third parties (former coaches/team mates) and networks such as Geelong has via their feeders (the Geelong Falcons, Geelong Grammar, G/College, St.Joey's, St. Mary's, ) ensures they stay in touch with draftees even when they've moved interstate. They've successfully used the loophole in the AFL draft (targeting 2nd year players and using the "go home" card) making sure these players (all of whom are 1st round draft picks by other clubs) do not sign extension contracts when they're offered in the second year and having managers facilitating their move home by publicising it via the media.

Andrew Mackie did not win the trade season this year....he had it handed to him on a plate!
I respectfully suggest that you forward this word for word to D Barrett. He probably won't do anything but if anyone will, at least file it away for future reference, Barrett will.

I think you've convinced me they are cheats. 🤔

FFS Pies - just win the freakin Flag next year and the next.....

Jakey Connors deserves a life membership at Collingwood for orchestrating us getting Luke Ball at pick 29. We shall never see the light of such a thing again.

Jakey Connors deserves a life membership at Collingwood for orchestrating us getting Luke Ball at pick 29. We shall never see the light of such a thing again.
Apparently Luke Ball was unavailable for interviews between the trade period & the draft.
Was MIA for 6-7 weeks…maybe trekking in Nepal or exploring the Titanic wreck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant analysis of the campaigners

I detest them more

Thank you - sort of

Picks: 38, 48, 55, future 2nd and future 4th (to Bris)
Pick: 25 (to Pies)
Player: Cooper Stephens (to Hawks)
So the Cats gave up 6 draft picks in total and a player for Henry.

The picks to Brisbane yielded the pick 25, so you’re counting it twice.

The fact that Mackie & Dangerfield contacted Bowes manager long before any other teams did hints that they knew about not only Gold Coasts salary cap problems long before any other club. But also were probably in the know about pick 7 being involved long before any other club. Steve Hocking giving them first hand early info anybody?
The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Then they only have to give back a 3rd round pick & can renegotiate his contract so that it doesn't hurt their TPP. The whole friggen deal was handed to them on a platter. They got more assistance after winning a flag than North Melbourne got for struggling down the table for years. Sus as all hell.

I still think Ollie will be a star & I'm pissed he turned his back on us after 2 seasons. But I don't boo players & won't start now. He turned his back on us & I will do the same to him.

I think you've convinced me they are cheats. 🤔

Are they though? (yeah I'm an old bloke who hates cheats too) or are they simply using their resources (Wells, Hocking) and the network already established down here to do their work for them?

The managers....they couldn't lie straight in bed.

Brilliant analysis of the campaigners

I detest them more

Thank you - sort of

They're not the only ones! And remember I work for em (still occasionally) so I know they have great people and resources down here (just like every club)....its just the portrayal in the media as them as brilliant cleanskins and everybody else (especially us) as hopeless missmanagers that gets in my gizzard.

I still think Ollie will be a star & I'm pissed he turned his back on us after 2 seasons. But I don't boo players & won't start now. He turned his back on us & I will do the same to him.

Only way to be really. Its not the kids fault** (the get home to Geelong system is pretty strong) and I think deep down he will realise he's taken the short cut.

** Yeah I know some will still hold it against him, but with all his family, friends, ex teammates, coaches, GFC heroes AND a greedy manager that saw the opportunity for a move...really very few kids are gonna be strong enough to resist that. He'd just be seeing Home, his brother and premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back