On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on how good your midfield is. If your midfield is crap, two elite key backs, if your midfield is average to above average, two elite key forwards.
100%. If your inside 50’s aren’t happening then why bother with elite KPF’s. This poses another question. Can a team with elite KPD’s, average mids and rubbish KPF’s ever scrape into the eight? Kind of reminds me of my team 🤣

That's an easy one. Take the two elite KPF's every day of the week.

Talls can be taught how to defend to a dependable standard and the rules (as they are currently applied) assist defenders. But you can't teach true "forward craft" that's innate and they lead their defenders to the ball.

Look at all the "dynasty Premiers" and they always have two (or more) GUN forwards.

100%. If your inside 50’s aren’t happening then why bother with elite KPF’s. This poses another question. Can a team with elite KPD’s, average mids and rubbish KPF’s ever scrape into the eight? Kind of reminds me of my team 🤣

Elite KPF's these days can push right up the ground and still impact the game - Franklin, Roughie, the Reiwoldts, Cameron, Curnow, Walker, etc. all present right up the ground, and in some cases roll through the midfield (Roughie, Cameron).

That's an easy one. Take the two elite KPF's every day of the week.

Talls can be taught how to defend to a dependable standard and the rules (as they are currently applied) assist defenders. But you can't teach true "forward craft" that's innate and they lead their defenders to the ball.

Look at all the "dynasty Premiers" and they always have two (or more) GUN forwards.

Geelong of 07-11 are the obvious exception. They had serviceable KPF's, but an elite midfield, elite HFF's, and an elite backline.

Well as a Hawthorn supporter it's pretty easy. Based on our previous success I go with KPF.

Hawthorn were constantly beaten when they had to rely on Shoenmakers, Gibson and Birchall against the true power forwards.
It wasn't until the signing of Brian Lake did you finally have the perfect mix as he dominated virtually all the best forwards during that brief time for Hawthorn.

He could have gone on another year or two but walked away on his terms while on top.

If Geelong had a Harry Taylor in the 80's and 90's we win a flag. I'd rather have gun defenders if your goal is to win a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong under Malcolm Blight had 2 elite forwards - Ablett and Brownless (3 if you included Stoneham), but couldn’t win a premiership because its defence was average.

Under Bomber Thompson Cats had 2 elite back men - Scarlett & Egan / Taylor, and a forward line led by Cam Mooney. Won 2 premierships.

Therefore - key backs are the key IMO

Geelong under Malcolm Blight had 2 elite forwards - Ablett and Brownless (3 if you included Stoneham), but couldn’t win a premiership because its defence was average.

Under Bomber Thompson Cats had 2 elite back men - Scarlett & Egan / Taylor, and a forward line led by Cam Mooney. Won 2 premierships.

Therefore - key backs are the key IMO

Football is very different today, defence largely relies on forward and midfield pressure and zone structure, not one-on-one defending.

Geelong circa 2010 also had a little more going for it than a couple of elite defenders.

Football is very different today, defence largely relies on forward and midfield pressure and zone structure, not one-on-one defending.

Geelong circa 2010 also had a little more going for it than a couple of elite defenders.
I know ;)

But I still believe 2 elite key defenders > 2 elite key forwards.

It has to be elite KPFs. I mean it’s quite obvious that guys like Curnow, Cameron, Hogan and Naughton would be star backman if their side needed it anyway.
Not as simple as that, they would be serviceable but backs cant grab and wrestle as much as forwards, they cant use the lead as much and they have too watch a man or a space, totally different mindset required.

Not as simple as that, they would be serviceable but backs cant grab and wrestle as much as forwards, they cant use the lead as much and they have too watch a man or a space, totally different mindset required.

How often do we see a struggling forward prospect switch back and flourish. Now compare that to how often a struggling back prospect switches forward and succeeds.

Its far easier to play back. Obviously there are skills that are better suited to each end but at the end of the day I'm extremely confident that the guys I listed would become top level defenders after 3 or 4 games

How often do we see a struggling forward prospect switch back and flourish. Now compare that to how often a struggling back prospect switches forward and succeeds.

Its far easier to play back. Obviously there are skills that are better suited to each end but at the end of the day I'm extremely confident that the guys I listed would become top level defenders after 3 or 4 games
I think the numbers would be similar as to those going back or forward, there have been a few successes both ways, I think you're under estimating the skills required as a backman when you say those players could go back and be top level in 3 or 4 games, as a backman you stand under a lot of packs, as a forward you are that pack.

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back