Opening Match Snorefest....

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Curtain Raiser...

Perhaps they should have scheduled Sydney v St Kilda first up. Then parents wouldn't have to worry about their kids having a late night on a Thursday night. They would be asleep by half time, watching AFL's equivalent to a nil-all draw.

At least the kiddies wouldn't have had to watch that error laden, bumbling, inept and disheartening performance from BOTH sides.

Most Tiges supporters *know* their belief is ultimately useless - Carlton supporters are the "crazy fundametalist religion" type of people. Hope against all type of logic.

You'd draw more neutrals to the first game of the season.

I don't buy that either. Sure maybe in tv audience it would but at the ground I don't think so, not with a good game on the Friday night with no work the next day for most people. Like I said I understand the frustration but this on the main board asking why, can you really all not see? It's like the one game being fixed for Anzac day... big crowds equals happy fat guy running the AFL.

Forget the dribbler Carlton/Richmond flogs hiding a dreadful game behind...."yeah but we have a big crowd..."

FFS coming off a deplorable cricket season in an AFL starved Melbourne - 2 cockroaches would have drawn a huge crowd tonight. This game is more about a TV spectacle - than a what we get at the gate count...and once again the AFL has botched it.

Pies V Dogs should have opened the season......but nup...play that Sunday to ensure we minimise those who actually get to see it.....FFS....who employs the fixturing clowns?

This game was over as soon as Richmond got 5+ behind and simply applied the old Richmond "turn over after turn over" rule....SNORE.

As much as Tim Lane attempted to ensure us it was an "enthralling contest" you couldnt help but wonder how long it was gonna take for the margin to hit 10 goals AGAIN.

BTW - Carlton dont like pressure so at least this win will inflate their opinion of themselves for another week....good.

It was a horrible game of football.
He's not 'sooking' - he's just saying it was crap. How can you say it wasn't? As a footy fan you wait all summer for the season to start , and then have to sit through that display. Season opener should be a cracker.

70,000+ ppl, yeah try and do better saints fans, they won't be bad for ever, every one gets their turn...

Great logic there...."it wont always be bad.....just hang tough....":eek:

Forget the crowd mate - after a cr@p cricket summer, the first game of the year is guaranteed a crowd....what we need a REAL SPECTATCLE for TV and you cheatin flogs again failed to deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously has to be changed.

Watching Richmond get pantsed annually was fun the first time.....now its just boring.

Why would you not schedule Pies v Dogs as the season openner?......

To open the season you should at least have to earnt it IMHO - both Carlton/Richmond have done nothing to warrant the night IMO.

btw - having played Sydney first round now for 3 years in a row.....do you reckon someone at AFL Fixturing land coukd get a little mre creative?....FFS.:rolleyes:

Could you imagine the meltdown on Bigfooty if Collingwood got the season opener! I can hear the victim mentality crap already!

P.S... You can't play that game at the G... The Bulldogs play Collingwood at Ethiad... Home or away

I would agree to the Dogs and Pies opening it. 50k likely from Pies, maybe 20k from dogs fans and 15k or so neutrals but then you would just have the rest of you complaining about the Pies getting all the big games.

I would agree to the Dogs and Pies opening it. 50k likely from Pies, maybe 20k from dogs fans and 15k or so neutrals but then you would just have the rest of you complaining about the Pies getting all the big games.

Just wanna see a good game mate.:thumbsu:

Could you imagine the meltdown on Bigfooty if Collingwood got the season opener! I can hear the victim mentality crap already!

P.S... You can't play that game at the G... The Bulldogs play Collingwood at Ethiad... Home or away

You reckon the Dogs would object to playing the Pies at the G in the season openner with a massive gate on the offing?.....nup.

Game can be played wherever the AFL like.......Etihad can always be compensated with other games......its just fixturing FFS.

It seems as thought the AFL has decided to stick with the format of the Dregs first and work your way up, well i tend to think that's a big mistake.
How many newcomers to the game would have switched on tonight to see what this sport is all about only to witness that. ?
A mirror image of last years Curtain raiser :eek: Both sides very ordinary.

It's time for the AFL to put their thinking caps on and get fairdinkum about promoting the game and start putting the good stuff up first.
Thoughts?
Nothing beats the Grand Finalists from the previous year opening the season in my opinion.

Just wanna see a good game mate.:thumbsu:

Top teams doesn't always mean a good game either ****, I doubt you would disagree some of your games against the Swans when you were both top 4 were hardly entertaining?

The only good thing to come out of this game were the DT scores. Watched the whole match anyway as it was the 1st game of the season, but by gee the AFL need to get their act together quickly.

Perhaps they should have scheduled Sydney v St Kilda first up. Then parents wouldn't have to worry about their kids having a late night on a Thursday night. They would be asleep by half time, watching AFL's equivalent to a nil-all draw.

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If you honestly think people would rather watch the shite the two 'teams' served up tonight rather than Sydney and St Kilda then you'd be sorely mistaken.

Top teams doesn't always mean a good game either ****, I doubt you would disagree some of your games against the Swans when you were both top 4 were hardly entertaining?

Our games against the Swans are still boring - thats how they play you grind it out.

No way Id have St Kilda V Sydney......ever....huge snorefest.

Dogs / Pies play circle work type games, score readily and are 3 v4 effectively....why would the AFL ignore that as a spectacle....??

Bizarre....

Remove this Banner Ad

Opening Match Snorefest....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back