• 44. Seth Campbell

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • 45. Tylar Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50. Marlion Pickett

Votes: 35 28.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

blooze dude I know is a part timer I said Rich / carl is on thurs night first game of the year , told him this week are practice games for round 0
and he believed me

Bolton needs to be in the centre bounces Tigers are hopelessly slow and one dimensional in there.

We need his goals. Martin, Sonsie and Mcaulliffe will strengthen our midfield soon enough. Bolton will love having Lynch and Balta together up forward as neither get outmarked and he'll dine out. He's been told he's forward and has trained and mentally prepared for it so need to stick with the plan. He'll Bob up kicking 3 -5 goals fairly often and that's priceless. Especially when MRJ fluffs set shots from 20m out directly in front.

Pros:
Campbell - 2.1 and did some nice things
Gibcus - getting through a full game
Hopper - after a rough start came back better
3rd qtr

In: Lynch Dusty Nankervis Ross
Out: Naismith Dow Ryan MRJ (sub)

B: Grimes Young Broad
HB: Short Gibcus Rioli
C: Macca Taranto Pickett
HF: Bolton Kosi Prestia
F: Balta Lynch Campbell
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Dusty
Int: Baker Banks Vlastuin Ross
Sub: MRJ

Pros:
Campbell - 2.1 and did some nice things
Gibcus - getting through a full game
Hopper - after a rough start came back better
3rd qtr

In: Lynch Dusty Nankervis Ross
Out: Naismith Dow Ryan MRJ (sub)

B: Grimes Young Broad
HB: Short Gibcus Rioli
C: Macca Taranto Pickett
HF: Bolton Kosi Prestia
F: Balta Lynch Campbell
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Dusty
Int: Baker Banks Vlastuin Ross
Sub: MRJ
Bit short in the backline

Vlastuin - typical game with plenty of intercepts and calmness under pressure especially in the first half.
Grimes - Treading water in terms of his place in the side. Wouldn't want too many more games like today
Prestia - little impact early on, but worked into the game as we got the game on our terms, another who needs to really perform to stay in
Ross - gave us a spark when he came on. Should be in the starting 22 Thursday night
Baker - quiet game by his standards, but not alone in that regard.
Maurice - worked his backside off to apply pressure and tried to provide a spark, others got the rewards from his hard work
Taranto - disappointing game by his standards, some costly turnovers in the first half that hurt on the scoreboard. Will lift
Short - played a reasonable game down back needed to do better early on in some 1-1 contests where he was brushed aside easily
Daniel - hardly sighted in the first half, but provided a real spark with his run and carry from D50 before fading again in the last.
Gibcus - not good, but not bad either. Obviously the back line being under constant pressure in the first half didn't help, will get better with more game time after missing all 2023
Koschitzke - kept presenting but had little real impact on the game, likely he makes way for Lynch Thursday night
Balta - will benefit from the return of Lynch to allow him to play the second fiddle role, both as a forward and in the ruck or even as a big bodied midfielder for spurts.
Hopper - probably our best midfielder today, but that's not really saying much as the group was well beaten. Copped a few heavy hits in the last quarter which might see him struggle to get up for Thursday night
Naismith - good game for his first at the level in over 1350 days, not sure we can play both him and Nank in the same side though so will be interesting to see what happens when Nank returns
Dow - not the type of game he would have liked first up, however we need him to develop as a young midfielder so should be persisted with for a more few weeks, but wouldn't be shocked to see him make way for Martin
Bolton - 8 disposals & 3 goals in a game where he had limited chances, provided a spark when he went into the middle.
Ryan - will make way for Nankervis Thursday night if Nanks fit, despite putting on some size he is still easily out positioned in contests. Needs to get more aggressive
McIntosh - typical KMac game, covered plenty of ground and was in the right spots when pushing back to support the back line. Another older guy who will need to stay consistent to keep his spot
Broad - did not touch the footy in the first half but worked into the game in the second half with some important intercepts. Costly free against put paid to any faint chance we had.
Banks - quieter of the 2 wings and will have learned a bit playing on Ellis at times about how hard you need to work as a winger at this level. Another who I'd persist with.
Campbell - really good first game from the kid who made the most of his opportunity and along with Maurice worked hard when the ball hit the ground to put on pressure.
Young - like Gibcus had a tough game especially the first half when the ball was coming in with little to no pressure up the ground. Early days for the 2 KPD who will improve the more they play together.
Pickett - one of the few who can hold his head up for a 4 quarter game. Provided a bit of spark when he went forward and his tackles certainly let the Suns players know he was around.

Changes for next week:
Out - Koschitzke Ryan Dow
In - Lynch Nankervis Martin

B: Grimes Young Gibcus
HB: Short Rioli Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Maurice Baker Bolton
F: Lynch Martin Balta
R: Naismith Hopper Prestia
INT: Nankervis Broad Pickett Campbell
SUB: Banks

Had high hopes after the trial games but was disappointed with Dow today. Looked lost and timid. Thought Rioli junior had one of his best games for us - needs to keep it up as provided some much needed spark. Also well done to Seth, kicked well and backed himself in. Grimes’ 50 was an absolute momentum killer, poor showing from an experienced head and at the worst possible time

Here I go.......

Couching blunder to start off with, midfield too slow and flat footed.
I said this weeks ago.
can't play that midfield.

Prestia pretty much cooked, hope he finds his mojo. fail.
TT - fought hard but is a nothing player. better up forward. fail
Hop - same as TT but at least he hit the scoreboard with 2 clutch kicks. semi fail.
Balta not a FF, his set shots are very bad. better in the centre as a ruck/ or power mid or CHF or BAck. big pass.
Bolton wasted up forwords in this team, we dont have the midfield for him to be missing from there. semi fail
Riol D, showed some much neede run. Big pass.
Rioli Jnr, tackled but didnt do much else. Fail for me.
Ross was great in tight and showed lots of composure -TT please takes notes.
Campbell was great for first game.
Grimes hasnt played a good game in for ever.
Gibcus will be a star, was slow to start but then got into the game.....so long to play.
Pickett was hard at it as usual. just pass.
Samson was a butterfly amoung men. cant see him making it unless he toughens up 80% more than he is now. - its got nothing to do about size, its the mongrel and he doesnt have it.
Baker tried hard, frustrating game.

We need some CUMBERLAND spark in the forward line, then we couldve moved bolton to the mdifield.
these are basic mistakes the coaches are making.

Thats all I got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the look of Dow in preseason but he just couldn’t get a kick today. For next week i’d like to see the mids change up a bit. Play Prestia high half forward, Dusty full time mid and give ross a go as an inside mid. Drop dow back to the 2s, he was just was miles off it today. Stick with Banks on the wing because i think he could be a good player
Dow was our best mid by some distance . His body use around stoppages is very very good and will only get better . Hopper , Taranto Prestia merely go offensive at all times and with Witt’s doing what he wanted they were exposed big time .

Out: Koschitzke, Ryan, Naismith, McIntosh

In: Martin, Lynch, Nankervis

Broad, Young, Gibcus
Rioli, Vlastuin, Short
Pickett, Taranto, Ross
Baker, Balta, Martin
MRJ, Lynch, Campbell

Nank, Bolton, Hopper

Grimes, Banks, Prestia, Dow Sub Green/Clarke

I'd give dow and banks a run of games before dropping them

Tale of two halves. 1st half was deplorable. Pathetic. Then kept them to 3 goals in the 2nd half and moved the ball much better.

Team selection was poor and it's frustrating that most fans knew it beforehand. Samson Ryan should never have been picked and Jack Ross was great, should never have been sub. Balta looked 100 times better as the 2nd ruck.

Game was lost in the midfield. I thought Yze was making stoppage and clearance work a priority? it was ******* horrible, especially the 1st half.

I'm going to give them a mulligan for that 1st half but if we serve up that s**t again I'll be livid.
I mentioned this morning that it appears as though the structure that Yze wants to work with is 2 rucks & 2 KPF. Due to availability he was forced to go with Ryan to support Naismith in the ruck while leaving Balta and Koschitzke forward.

It will be interesting to see what we do when Lynch and Nankervis are back as I don't believe we can play both Nank & Naismith in the ruck as Nank loves to spend long periods on the ground and Naismith would be a waste when we could play the extra runner, then use Balta in short bursts while Nank rests forward to support Lynch.

Where is the Sam Banks thread. Seriously unless this guy grows a pair he wont make it. Last year one aspect of his game he was told to work on was to win his own ball. He *en plays scared.

Looking at today's game, the last thing we need is another midfielder getting sucked into the contest to try and win the contested ball, before eventually getting beat on the outside.

Banks had 4 contested possessions out of his 11 as a wingman, alongside 3 tackles and 20 pressure acts. In comparison, KMac (our other wingman) had 1 contested possession from his 15, with no tackles and 10 pressure acts, and I'm not sure people say that KMac "plays scared"

Can’t remember last time Grimes had a really good game.

He seems to have lost confidence and his temperament is a liability in the back.

Give him a spell in the VfL or try him in a new role up forward.

We need Balta in the back.
3 years ago before they made him captain

Was won and lost in midfield , we were obliterated in first half barely got hands on it . TT worst game for club , hopper and pres didn’t hurt , tho hop 2G were good . Don’t know who the Mensa is that thinks Ross isn’t best 22 and Bolton def needs to be a mid otherwise we look like treacle . Get mccauilfe into the side ,,,now and sonz
Grimes and Broad were garbage and can’t be keeping out brown and nipper
A score line like that says play the kids u fools
Cambo good , gibcus good and mrj very good

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Opening Round v Gold Coast & Changes For Round 1 v Carlton

Back