Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When you look at what contracted guys like Rioli and Bolton are going for, even Baker really, it’s on the very cheap side of what we paid for Houston

Well done to Mr Leppitsch in his first rodeo.
It's a bit of a worry for our top up strategy though. Fortunately I think we're fine for stars for a while and will be shopping at the solid player end for the next couple of years.

I wonder how many picks Richmond are going to use in the draft?

Regarding a trade on Macrae, like others have said, Tigers could be an option and if Fin wants to stay in Melbourne well maybe we could package a couple of the picks in the 50s and Fin for their pick 24 if they aren’t going to use it.

It's a bit of a worry for our top up strategy though. Fortunately I think we're fine for stars for a while and will be shopping at the solid player end for the next couple of years.
I think the Perryman/Lipinski calibre of player will be where we look.

Or, teams dumping veterans like Mitchell.

It’s not that much of s worry as we will still be able to bring in players in the future and have a father son candidate next season to add to our youth stocks

I wonder how many picks Richmond are going to use in the draft?

Regarding a trade on Macrae, like others have said, Tigers could be an option and if Fin wants to stay in Melbourne well maybe we could package a couple of the picks in the 50s and Fin for their pick 24 if they aren’t going to use it.
Finn has no value in trade. If he gets traded it'll be for nothing.

Here's the superdraft of 2001

About a dozen champions, but they were spread out at all stages of the draft. As well as the stars, there were misses or meh players all the way through. Anyone who thinks there's a sure thing at pick 10 because it's a strong draft is kidding themselves.

Are we going to get Dane Swan again with our pick 58 in this year's superdraft? This Houston deal gets better and better!

Are we going to get Dane Swan again with our pick 58 in this year's superdraft? This Houston deal gets better and better!
Unfortunately, they think that pick 58 will become a better pick by the time it's used - we should have requested 65 instead.

Can we put a request in to the AFL to play Richmond thrice?
That privilege would go to Carlton.

AFL need to give them easy games so that they can scrape into the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind a paywall, sorry. Just more/continuing Dee drama.

Text:
Former Melbourne Football Club president Glen Bartlett has accused new president Brad Green and other directors of defaming him and his partner in statements issued by the club, one of which was retweeted by Green.

Bartlett’s statement of claim in his defamation case against Green, former club president Kate Roffey and the club’s board of directors was released by the Federal Court on Tuesday.

Bartlett takes aim at statements issued by the Demons on August 15 and 16 last year. The first – which took umbrage at claims the club alleged were made by Bartlett’s partner, Victoria Laspas, in a complaint to WorkSafe Victoria – was published in the Herald Sun and other media outlets.

The second was an MFC board statement published on the club’s website and social media channels, and sent to members, in which the board rejected allegations about premiership coach Simon Goodwin and his behaviour.

The claims were “unequivocally” denied by the club and the coach.

“The board of the Melbourne Football Club unequivocally refute the unsubstantiated, historical and outrageous accusations against Simon Goodwin and other club leaders as published in today’s Herald Sun. The untested and unproven claims were made by Ms Laspas in a statement she prepared to support her partner, Mr Bartlett, in legal proceedings that were discontinued by him. The views expressed by Ms Laspas are her recollection of historical events and are in direct contrast with the recollections of the Melbourne Football Club Board,” the Demons said in the August 16 statement, which Bartlett reproduced in his statement of claim.

In the statement of claim released on Tuesday, Bartlett said Greenwas “the holder and controller of an X (formerly Twitter) account under the account handle of @bradgreen18”, and that he had reposted the second statement “on X, where he has approximately 10,700 followers”.

Bartlett argues in the document that, as a result of the statements, he and his partner had “suffered serious harm” and “have been greatly injured in their credit, character and reputation” and “have been brought into public hatred, scandal, odium and contempt”.

In his statement of claim, Bartlett argues that “the statements identified the second applicant [Laspas] as a complainant to WorkSafe, when she had not been previously so identified, and such disclosure was wrongful and has caused the second applicant significant personal distress”.

The Demons had alleged “at no point has Victoria Laspas been a volunteer or employee of the club”, but Bartlett say she “was a volunteer sitting on the MFC Women’s Committee during 2013 and 2014”.
Bartlett is seeking damages and an injunction from what he argues are any further potential defamatory comments made by the club.

The Demons were contacted for comment on Tuesday night. Bartlett did not wish to comment.

Bartlett served as the Demons’ president from 2013 until his sudden departure in April 2021. He was replaced by Roffey, who stood down this year amid the Christian Petracca drama.

Separately, Bartlett is suing the AFL in an escalation of the disputes he has had with various industry figures over the past three years. He filed a statement of claim on Thursday last week against the league through law firm Clayton Utz.

The shai bolton trade puts the pie's houston trade in the shade... I know the dockers are preparing themselves for a flag tilt and they are desperate and willing to do all that it takes, but i'm not sure that I would be relying on bolton to deliver the goods. He's too talented not to have an impact, and maybe he was playing in a bad team, but the draft cost is signficant and then the salary is probably extreme. I live in freo. I think they've paid their dues, so if the pies cant win it, i wouldnt mind seeing them getting there....but this is one helluva gamble.

The shai bolton trade puts the pie's houston trade in the shade... I know the dockers are preparing themselves for a flag tilt and they are desperate and willing to do all that it takes, but i'm not sure that I would be relying on bolton to deliver the goods. He's too talented not to have an impact, and maybe he was playing in a bad team, but the draft cost is signficant and then the salary is probably extreme. I live in freo. I think they've paid their dues, so if the pies cant win it, i wouldnt mind seeing them getting there....but this is one helluva gamble.

I don't understand trade week Maths.

Apparently 12,14 and steak knives for pick 3 was an absolute bargain.

But 10,11 and steak knives was way over the top for Bolton

And I'm pretty confident that 3 for Bolton would have been seen as about par.

It depends on who is delivering the message. Obviously, the canetoad didnt like the eagles move. Others say it is a smart thing to do for that sydney wimp next year.

The bolton thing is twice as extreme as the houston one.....on my newly invented scale. Bolton is 2 years younger but he's flakey. Freo is putting the family home on the pile to win the big one. It's severely going to limit the payment options for other players and they will be under pressure in a few years if their younger players want a pay rise.

I think clubs are living more for the present....and the pies are leading the charge

The other thing which is really important is that no one cares about freo.... even over here its the beagles that get the front page harley news every day of the week for months on end.

The melb sports media just cant generate hype with stuff involving freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back