FF: Breust - Patton - Puopolo
HF: Gunston - O'Brien - Wingard
Ce: Scully - O'Meara - Smith
HB: Scrimshaw - Frost - Sicily
FB: Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton

Ru: McEvoy
RR: Worpel
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Burgoyne, Shiels, Henderson + one of Nash/Lewis/Ollie/Howe/Cuz/Morrison/etc

I like this one... the only change i'd make is Timmy or Gunners starting on the bench for Lewis.
I still think McEvoy will play ruck... Just giving him plenty of time down there during pre season so if he needs to go back throughout the season he totally prepared. Just my opinion. Think we are too top heavy the big boy down there along with those other lads.

I like this one... the only change i'd make is Timmy or Gunners starting on the bench for Lewis.
I still think McEvoy will play ruck... Just giving him plenty of time down there during pre season so if he needs to go back throughout the season he totally prepared. Just my opinion. Think we are too top heavy the big boy down there along with those other lads.

From pre-season reports with McEvoy playing almost exclusively in back half (and Ceglar resigning for 3 years), it seems that for much of the early games, McEvoy will play back and Ceglar will ruck.

Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Breust
Poppy Patton Burgoyne

Cegs Jags Worpell

Shiels Hendo Howe Nash

I am assuming that all of Mitchell Lewis, Gunston & Scrimshaw will be under done as best 22 players and miss rd1.

Anderson will be eased into senior football just like Worps.
Walker will be pushing to displace Nash in the current line up.

best 22

Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Gunston
Breust Patton Lewis

Cegs Jags Worpell

Shiels Scrimshaw Poppy Hendo

Last edited:
Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Breust
Poppy Patton Burgoyne

Cegs Jags Worpell

Shiels Hendo Howe Nash

I am assuming that all of Mitchell, Gunston & Scrimshaw will be under done as best 22 players and miss rd1.

best 22

Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Gunston
Breust Patton Lewis

Cegs Jags Worpell

Anderson?

Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Breust
Poppy Patton Burgoyne

Cegs Jags Worpell

Shiels Hendo Howe Nash

I am assuming that all of Mitchell, Gunston & Scrimshaw will be under done as best 22 players and miss rd1.

best 22

Stratts Chip Hardwick
Sicily BB Frost
Smith Mitchell Scully
Wingard O’brien Gunston
Breust Patton Lewis

Cegs Jags Worpell

Mitchell to miss but named in both sides?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Gunston, Scrimshaw and Mitchell ready time go.

Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
Sicily, McEvoy, Scrimshaw
Henderson, Mitchell, Scully
Wingard, Lewis, Gunston
Puopolo, Patton, Bruest

Ceglar, Worpel, O’Meara

Interchange: Frost, Smith, Shiels, Burgoyne

Emergency: Nash, O’Brien, Howe

Stiff: Hanrahan, O’Brien and Nash. Like to see Walker, Maguiness and Hartley, Given a go first half of the season.
Our depth look fantastic.

Henderson outperformed Smith last season, and was a lot better than Scully. He’s a lock in the starting 18.

If you look at Smith vs Henderson their career stats is almost identical and both players were drafted late at 21.

Who knows how good Henderson could’ve potentially been if he didn’t miss a lot of games during his time at Adelaide and the fact that the Crows also played him across half back instead of playing him on the wing position.

Back line pick itself imo, really good mix of talls and smalls and a group of good ball users. Frost will help free up Sicily and Scrimshaw play that 3rd man role. Impy when he returns from injury and the development of CJ add dash. Kosi/Day make it look like a strong group now and into the future.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Scrimshaw Frost Sicily

Midfield bats deep now with the return of Titch. Finn could be potentially used as a tagger imo, with his running ability and mature body could be a great way to fast track his development by learning from the best in the league. Hoping a return to form for Harry Morrison this year with aging wingers he is someone who is an important part of the future. I really find all this talk of BB playing in back line strange. Top 5 ruck man in the league plays in the ruck. Pretty simple really.

Scully Mitchell Henderson
McEvoy O'Meara Worpel

Forward line looks solid. Hoping for a return of form for our barometers Gunston/Bruest. Crying out for a small forward. I havent gone with Poppy round 1, thought he should have finished up at the end of the last season. Hopefully one of Hanrahan, Moore or Walker really cement a permanent spot in the best 22.

Wingard Patton Gunston
O'Brien Lewis Bruest

Bench is hard to pick the last 2 spots is a real raffle and pre season games may be determine who grabs them.

Smith, Shiels, Burgoyne, Howe

Emergencies from

Ceglar, Walker, Hanrahan, Maginesses, Jiath, Morrison, Moore, Jones, Nash

Last edited:
I wonder if Frost could play on the wing? I suspect that a lot of current players would not be too comfortable having him walk toward them...

I've been reading about the intra-clubs and keeping my ear to the ground with player fitness and here is my take!

Possible Best 22 Players Not Available for Round 1:
  • Gunston
  • Impey
  • CJ
  • Scrimshaw(?)
Best 22
FB -
Hardwick Stratton Frost
HB - Sicily McEvoy Howe
C - Smith Mitchell Henderson
Foll - Ceglar O'Meara Worpel
HF - O'Brien Lewis Bruest
FF - Hanrahan Patton Puopolo
Int - Shiels Wingard Scully Burgoyne

The Back 6
I am going to start by stating that I am firmly in the camp of McEvoy as a defender, he doesn't have closing speed but neither does the good McGovern, and I think the mold of Jeremy McGovern is exactly what the coaches are using to rebuild Big Boy. I think he will be a deadly Key Defender and his insurance policy is Sicily not playing as 'tall', and being free to run wild. Hardwick and Stratton are easy locks, and Frost is a dream option for a 3rd Key Defender, cannot wait to see him chase someone down and throw them 50m. Now, Howe. I feel like some people could have some conflicting thoughts with his inclusion but in our stretch of 'Total Football' at the end of the 2019 home and away he was a really good contributor. If Scrimshaw is injured, I want Howe on the Half Back Flank.

The Mids and Cegs
No Finn... I know I must be an arseh*le. But Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara are auto includes, Shiels is still a hugely underrated inside-mid who has great flexibility. Then there are the wingers, we have the luxury of being able to play 3 of the best wingers in the league in one team, so we need to play them all really. Then there is Chad, I am going to make this really really clear for readers, he is a midfielder. With McEvoy in the backline, we have the best tap-ruck on the list doing the tap work, how good.

The Forward Line
So for a second I thought we were going to go full 2007 and play O'Brien, Gunston, Lewis and Patton. But Jack is hurt so we have our 3 talls. Patton is our lock, 'spearhead' if you want. Lewis, also a lock, could be anything by the end of the 2020 season and that's all I'm gonna say. And TOB, the hands on this guy are going to kill opposition 3rd Key Defenders. I can see Patton and Lewis playing up the ground and Timmy having the pleasure of converting. Bruest, lock, no explanation. Poppy, work ethic > age, so yeah. Ollie has to be in the team, Poppy is great but no forward line with more than 2 genuine talls can survive without at least 2 actual small forwards who can crumb and tackle and trap the ball.

Bench
I have explained the inclusion of all the interchange players except Burgoyne, and I'm going to go ahead and not bother explain why he is sitting on the last spot on the bench.

Back line pick itself imo, really good mix of talls and smalls and a group of good ball users. Frost will help free up Sicily and Scrimshaw play that 3rd man role. Impy when he returns from injury and the development of CJ add dash. Kosi/Day make it look like a strong group now and into the future.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Scrimshaw Frost Scrimshaw

Midfield bats deep now with the return of Titch. Finn could be potentially used as a tagger imo, with his running ability and mature body could be a great way to fast track his development by learning from the best in the league. Hoping a return to form for Harry Morrison this year with aging wingers he is someone who is an important part of the future. I really find all this talk of BB playing in back line strange. Top 5 ruck man in the league plays in the ruck. Pretty simple really.

Scully Mitchell Henderson
McEvoy O'Meara Worpel

Forward line looks solid. Hoping for a return of form for our barometers Gunston/Bruest. Crying out for a small forward. I havent gone with Poppy round 1, thought he should have finished up at the end of the last season. Hopefully one of Hanrahan, Moore or Walker really cement a permanent spot in the best 22.

Wingard Patton Gunston
O'Brien Lewis Bruest

Bench is hard to pick the last 2 spots is a real raffle and pre season games may be determine who grabs them.

Smith, Shiels, Burgoyne, Howe

Emergencies from

Ceglar, Walker, Hanrahan, Maginesses, Jiath, Morrison, Moore, Jones, Nash

liking this but consider Puopolo, impey not included, and Hartley, glass, cousins, are capable depth and Ross, golds, greaves will be getting thereabouts

list is looking deep

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back