Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he appears to be competent

Rather than Hass, Kangatech and Saunders, why didn't we just employ a competent head of fitness in the first place?

We're pissing money down the drain.

I don't believe Burns has the job. As much as I don't trust the club they will have another PR disaster on their hands if all this talk about pulling together a selection panel is just a charade.

I have no doubt Roo knows who he wants but I doubt Burns is so confident that he is already pulling together his Assistants.

I think there could be a certain amount of fuelling the Burns rumour to keep the media happy while they work on the one they really want.

Potentially. This was allegedly a problem with Williams at Richmond.

But you're overlooking that the senior players are also a consistent factor. Remember they are minor royalty in this town, they don't appear to enjoy being pushed out of their comfort zones.
This could very well be true. But imagine if it was and then they received a very sympathetic ear from one of the other senior coaches? One who pre-dates the Senior coach and the one before that.
The cracks could develop pretty quickly.

If it is true that we are at our maximum allowed under the football cap it could be hard to clear out the Assistants. Campo and Hart might be out of contract but I would imagine Godden and Mattner have at least a year left.

Would their contracts allow them to be moved to a different role within the club?

Surely any assistant coach's contract would have a clause in it linking it to the tenure of the senior coach?

In any case, if we come out of this with just Godden and Mattner remaining from the current coaching panel, I could live with that result.

Rather than Hass, Kangatech and Saunders, why didn't we just employ a competent head of fitness in the first place?

We're pi**ing money down the drain.

I think this is a significant issue currently.

We were also apparently play a heap to collective minds, for which there may have been a financial pay out relating to cancelling our contract with them.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you have incompetent, inexperienced people in key positions. You end up paying for it at the other end.

I think you need to pay up for the following positions:
Head Coach
Senior assistant
Head of Football
High Performance manager +/- head Physio/rehab coordinator
List manager
Recruiting manager

Get the right people in place and they will build those around them up. People will also want to come and work for you for the experience. Hawthorn would have prospective assistant coaches knocking on their door to work there.

At present, we’re having to employ more and more people to prop up those who are struggling at the top.

It’s what we did when Walsh took over from Sando. We were looking for a senior assistant to take over from Bailey when it dawned that perhaps we’d be better off getting someone who didn’t need this in the first place, especially given Sando was 3 years in.

When I emailed Fagan at the start of the year questioning Campo and Burtons appointments he came back saying that Pyke did select his assistants and that he wanted Campo as his senior. I questioned him back saying I remember perfectly when Pyke was hired and we were announcing extensions to assistants before annoucing Pyke as head coach and we only needed a defensive coach which we selected Pods. His response was we wont get far if you dont believe what i tell you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I emailed Fagan at the start of the year questioning Campo and Burtons appointments he came back saying that Pyke did select his assistants and that he wanted Campo as his senior. I questioned him back saying I remember perfectly when Pyke was hired and we were announcing extensions to assistants before annoucing Pyke as head coach and we only needed a defensive coach which we selected Pods. His response was we wont get far if you dont believe what i tell you.

And look what happened - you didn't believe him and we didn't get far!

THIS IS YOUR FAULT! YOU DID THIS!

His response was we wont get far if you dont believe what i tell you.
scully.gif

This could very well be true. But imagine if it was and then they received a very sympathetic ear from one of the other senior coaches? One who pre-dates the Senior coach and the one before that.
The cracks could develop pretty quickly.
Yeah we need to purge both. Long term assistants and senior players.

I think if you join all the dots then a major player in the coaching mix has to be Jarrad Schofield.

Ridiculous record in the WAFL, very highly rated. 6 seasons for 3 flags and 2 runner ups (minor premiership in those 2 years but lost GFs to Freo stacked Peel sides).

But here’s the rub. We make him an offer for an assistant role at the end of 2016 which he turns down. Then we chase him again at the end of 2018 but again he turns us down. We wanted him pretty badly I’d suggest.

Hard to believe we don’t put him in the mix now. Question is - has he turned us down in the past because he wants nothing to do with AFC, or was it just about the role and the No1 job changes things. Looks to be a pretty strong Port person.
Don't see it as an issue if it's the TOP job in question

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Walshy was a long term assistant before taking on a Senior Coach role

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good point. Apart from Walshy, it would be interesting to know how long premiership coaches served as assistants before they got the number 1 gig. I would assume if you have been an assistant for longer than 7 years the chances of you being a successful head coach would be slim.

Saying Pyke selects his assistants is slippery though. He doesn't get full autonomy to select his assistants, he gets given a list of available ones and then gets to pick from there.

Pyke wanted Longmuir, he got told he's too expensive. To then say "BUT PYKE PICKS HIS ASSISTANTS!" isn't 100% true. He picked his assistant, we told him he can't have him. Same with Sumich. Getting to pick your 3rd or 4th choice isn't exactly something to get super excited about.

I think if you join all the dots then a major player in the coaching mix has to be Jarrad Schofield.

Ridiculous record in the WAFL, very highly rated. 6 seasons for 3 flags and 2 runner ups (minor premiership in those 2 years but lost GFs to Freo stacked Peel sides).

But here’s the rub. We make him an offer for an assistant role at the end of 2016 which he turns down. Then we chase him again at the end of 2018 but again he turns us down. We wanted him pretty badly I’d suggest.

Hard to believe we don’t put him in the mix now. Question is - has he turned us down in the past because he wants nothing to do with AFC, or was it just about the role and the No1 job changes things. Looks to be a pretty strong Port person.
I can remember reading posting on the WA boards quite while back (cannot remember which 1) that wasn't so bullish about Schofields abilities. There seemed to be some consensus that a blind 3 legged dog could've coached that Subiaco team to multiple premierships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back