Test Pakistan v England (3 Test Matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have only just switched it on. Missed the rest of the game.

Do Pakistan have no other choice with their climate? But why do the keep playing on the flattest of pitches?

Think the Bazballers proved last time in Pakistan that they have too much firepower if there is nothing in it for the bowlers

When I was growing up pre-internet and pay TV I would assume that the quality of bowlers like Imran and Wasim and Waqar meant that the surfaces were taken out of the equation a bit - they probably wouldn’t have been too dissimilar to these ones but the bowlers could make better use of both the natural swing when the ball was new, and the older ball once the pitches began to become abrasive and effect the ball. Of course there were always the accusations of ball tampering etc but it’s not like they weren’t playing on cameras when they toured and no one seemed to really pick anything up on those players as far as I’m aware beyond the usual ‘old tricks’ that all the bowlers would try if they felt they could get away with it.

There doesn’t seem to be the level of skill that there was then to make use of the ball itself and the pitches themselves don’t seem to effect the condition of the ball the same way - they’re probably prepared ‘too’ well if that makes sense, they don’t deteriorate the same way, which I guess means the spinners don’t have the same impact either

When I was growing up pre-internet and pay TV I would assume that the quality of bowlers like Imran and Wasim and Waqar meant that the surfaces were taken out of the equation a bit - they probably wouldn’t have been too dissimilar to these ones but the bowlers could make better use of both the natural swing when the ball was new, and the older ball once the pitches began to become abrasive and effect the ball. Of course there were always the accusations of ball tampering etc but it’s not like they weren’t playing on cameras when they toured and no one seemed to really pick anything up on those players as far as I’m aware beyond the usual ‘old tricks’ that all the bowlers would try if they felt they could get away with it.

There doesn’t seem to be the level of skill that there was then to make use of the ball itself and the pitches themselves don’t seem to effect the condition of the ball the same way - they’re probably prepared ‘too’ well if that makes sense, they don’t deteriorate the same way, which I guess means the spinners don’t have the same impact either
There's more than enough smoke to conclude Pakistan were using bottle tops in the early 90s with the local umpires turning a blind eye and no match referees to oversee it. Imran Khan admitted that he had done it as well as Martin Crowe and Chris Pringle having said they saw it and when the umps were doing nothing about it decided to also do it.

The camera quality of cricket in Pakistan in 1990 was basically just a camera at one end, they're not picking up anything of the sort on camera.

Last edited:
There's more than enough smoke to conclude Pakistan were using bottle tops in the early 90s with the local umpires turning a blind eye and no match referees to oversee it. Imran Khan admitted that he had done it as well as Martin Crowe and Derek Pringle having said they saw it and when the umps were doing nothing about it decided to also do it.

The camera quality of cricket in Pakistan in 1990 was basically just a camera at one end, they're not picking up anything of the sort on camera.

Chris Pringle.

Imran admitted to using a bottle top in a 1991 county match - his admissions of alteration in any tests I don’t think amount to any more than what I was referring to - the ‘usual tricks’ (which are still illegal, mind you, obviously, like picking the seam etc).

That’s what I was referencing - I know the coverage wouldn’t pick anything up in Pakistan but they still succeeded in getting the ball to behave the same way in other nations where coverage was far more thorough so I’m guessing that it owed far more to a considerable level of skill than relying on having to get the ball to a particular artificial state.

Another road in Pakistan what a shock.

They just lost there 2-0 to Bangladesh.

They’ve hosted 15 tests there in the better part of two decades. 10 of them have produced results and of the 5 that didn’t, one of those was rained out.

Is it really that much different to everywhere else, especially considering the climate they have to deal with in getting everything in order and the infrastructure they have there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, countries should be able to build whatever pitches they want to favour their own side. It’s up to the visiting team to field a side that can play on that deck. This is why squad depth is important

It’s stupid of Australia to go play in India and only take Nathan Lyon as the sole spinner.

However, the country that curates the pitch should still be able to win on the pitch as well; this is where Pakistan fail, there is no intent to win.

In my opinion, countries should be able to build whatever pitches they want to favour their own side. It’s up to the visiting team to field a side that can play on that deck. This is why squad depth is important

It’s stupid of Australia to go play in India and only take Nathan Lyon as the sole spinner.

However, the country that curates the pitch should still be able to win on the pitch as well; this is where Pakistan fail, there is no intent to win.
They took 3 spinners last time. All 3 played in the last 3 of the Test matches.

They can do what they want , it's shit watching
A 1 sided contest

Which is what some relatively mediocre at times Australian sides have been producing more often than not at home for a decade.

They have had, in that time, Smith aside, a team built around one thing that can thrive no matter what the circumstances or the intent of the opposition: a pace attack that can take wickets. So they can churn out whatever pitches they like (and no I’m not suggesting Australian pitches are ‘doctored’ just that they’re often incredibly boring and people mistake pace or bounce for being interesting), Australia’s attack will still take wickets, visiting attacks have no idea how to bowl on them until the SA sides and more recently India, and the Aussie batsmen have gone to town on them.

It’s the formula just about everywhere

It will be interesting to see what England's tactics are today and how long they bat for before they declare, if they declare at all.

The flat pitches in Pakistan don't favour Pakistan, if anything they favour opposition teams which is why I don't think it's deliberate

One of the Pakistani commentators said in another series there that they wanted to produce pitches with more life in them to help the bowlers but the weather conditions and soil conditions made it hard for them to do that, pitches have always been flat there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Test Pakistan v England (3 Test Matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back