Test Pakistan v England (3 Test Matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

So does Bashir. He averages almost 50 at first class level and has had the benefit of some really really generous opponents giving him a leg-up (cough cough West Indies). He DID take wickets in India but I don’t think they played him with much respect.
harsh on bashir, he's a 6'4 20 year old bowling spin in england. can't imagine a much more difficult scenario.

harsh on bashir, he's a 6'4 20 year old bowling spin in england. can't imagine a much more difficult scenario.

Look he will - you’d assume - get better but he’s been picked on not even potential from what I’ve watched, it’s just the fact that he actually bowls spin.

We played him horribly though to be fair he generally put the ball on a decent enough spot he just didn’t do much with it

Look he will - you’d assume - get better but he’s been picked on not even potential from what I’ve watched, it’s just the fact that he actually bowls spin.

We played him horribly though to be fair he generally put the ball on a decent enough spot he just didn’t do much with it
how has he not been picked on potential?

how has he not been picked on potential?

If you’re averaging 50 at first class level you’re getting picked because you are young, not because you have shown something.

He’s taken 16 wickets in 11 matches away from test cricket without ever taking more than three wickets in an innings.

‘Potential’ to me is a combination of a few things: you are going to get better and develop (so yes, he’s got those things in his favour: tick) and you have already shown a few times that you have ‘a bit.’

I would think that, say, a 20 year old with an ordinary average but who’s taken a five wicket haul or two, or hit a couple of centuries, is that sort of player.

When Bashir was picked, I can’t see what it was based on other than ‘he bowls spin, and he’s young so he might develop so I guess it’s better than picking someone older’

As I said he’s done ok but I don’t think it’s been out of any especially brilliant bowling at this point but he will get better regardless

Hopefully the Pakistan lower order can show some fight today, they will need to bat until at least tea to be a chance of a draw.
agree plugger. if they don't make it to tea they're absolutely no chance of forcing a draw. infact, i'd go as far as to say that if they don't bat til at least tea then england will win.

First time I’m a while they haven’t had an elite fast bowler in the side. Gough to Anderson/Broad really since the mid 90’s.
Actually there was quite gap between Gough finishing up and Anderson becoming elite(he averaged about 34.5 after 40 odd tests in 2009).

Wouldn’t say caddick, harmison, flintoff, hoggard, sidebottom were elite fast bowlers really

The Harmisson, Hoggard, Flintoff, Jones mob is the best England attack in my lifetime, none go down as elite but they complemented each other almost perfectly. 3 could bowl very quickly, 2 were excellent reverse swing bowlers, 2 could bowl orthodox swing and 2 were very tall and quick and got big bounce. Jones could perhaps
have been elite if he hadn't done his knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pakistan were dreadful but credit should go to England for getting a comprehensive win on this road. Thought they would be struggling when Duckett got injured then Pope got out early. Obviously wasn't hard to bat on that pitch but they put on a big score that deflated Pakistan. The high scoring rate of Bazball is good for this type of situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Test Pakistan v England (3 Test Matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back