Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

8 years ago exact same body shape attacking the ball got 4 weeks.

Definitely very similar. Slight differences that probably went against Ziebel would be that the Carlton player didn't really leave the ground (like Ah Chee did), contact was slightly more front on and Ziebel seems to get him flush in the side of the head with his elbow. Was also called a free too.

Different rules and guidelines then too. Would Ziebel still get 4 weeks for the same incident today? Not sure.

Yeah, nah. Lasting effects of concussion is going to be one of the most serious aspects of playing AFL, and the course to change the quality of a person's life irreparably after football. The AFL needs to be consistent and act now, and entitled clubs need to accept this instead of trying to get their player off. It's pretty simple, if you choose to bump, leave the ground and the result is a concussion to the opposition player - you are suspended. There is only 1 exemption: If it's a marking contest and you legitimately have a chance to mark the ball. If you don't have a chance to mark the ball and make contact - suspended. If it's a handball receive and you make contact - suspended. It's pretty black and white and the AFL need to start taking this s**t seriously.
So you are saying Cripps should have pulled out of any contact, then the media shows that and you are all in here saying Cripps is a squib. Players getting concussed has been happening forever in our game. Should we stop all contact?

It does make you wonder . . . why are Carlton's odds to make finals so low. They have been hovering around $1.30 with two of the toughest games to finish the season.
Now Cripps getting off.

Perhaps the AFL desperately need a big club like the Blues in the finals. Always great for business.

So you are saying Cripps should have pulled out of any contact, then the media shows that and you are all in here saying Cripps is a squib. Players getting concussed has been happening forever in our game. Should we stop all contact?
If Cripps chooses to leave the ground to bump, and has no realistic attempt at a mark, then he should have the book thrown at him if a player gets concussed. I couldn't give a toss (either should Ah Chee after missing this week and potentially having concussion related issues for life ) what rusted on old barnacles in the media think.
There will always be contact in the game but you don't bump - you tackle. And if you leave the ground and bump or make an unrealistic marking attempt and take a player out - you get suspended. I dare say players will wise up to it pretty quick.

I can fully understand why many people out there have this attitude.

The baseline threshold for a professional sporting body is that they have integrity and consistency.

AFL have neither.

It wasn't the AFL who made this decision tbh

But granted I agree with you about the AFL and its lack of integrity and consistency

It does make you wonder . . . why are Carlton's odds to make finals so low. They have been hovering around $1.30 with two of the toughest games to finish the season.
Now Cripps getting off.

Perhaps the AFL desperately need a big club like the Blues in the finals. Always great for business.
Might be because they're currently in the 8 (7th). A full game and over 8% points clear of 9th and 2 games and a couple of percentage points clear of 10th.
Saints have two tough games that they'd be the underdogs in. Only need to win one if we lose both, but also need to make up percentage.
Dogs have two winnable games, but MUST win both and have Hawks in Tassie, which is 50/50.
Blues win one of two and it's over for Dogs and almost impossible for Saints. Odds are probably about right considering we can still make the 8 even if we lose both.

Yes. I am definitely saying that. If Cripps chooses to leave the ground to bump, and has no realistic attempt at a mark, then he should have the book thrown at him if a player gets concussed. I couldn't give a toss (either should Ah Chee after missing this week and potentially having concussion related issues for life ) what rusted on old barnacles in the media think.
There will always be contact in the game but you don't bump - you tackle. And if you leave the ground and bump or make an unrealistic marking attempt and take a player out - you get suspended. I dare say players will wise up to it pretty quick.
The speed in which things happen in the AFL is ridiculous these things will always happen, all you blokes will be after someone else next week, unless he plays for their own team.

If Cripps chooses to leave the ground to bump, and has no realistic attempt at a mark, then he should have the book thrown at him if a player gets concussed. I couldn't give a toss (either should Ah Chee after missing this week and potentially having concussion related issues for life ) what rusted on old barnacles in the media think.
The problems here are:
1. You're assuming that he chose to bump. The vision says otherwise. He chose to contest a loose ball. There was contact as a result of that, which Cripps had a split second chance to brace for.
2. Ignoring the fact that it wasn't a mark, both players were airborne, attempting to catch the loose ball, in a realistic 50/50 contest. Cripps came from further back, was travelling faster as a result and jumped higher in an attempt to beat Ah Chee to the drop of the ball.
3. "You don't bump". Bumping is actually a legal part of the game. Tackling can also cause serious injury and/or concussion, so that is not a sure-fire way of preventing an injury.

If players start getting suspended for contesting the ball, they'll wise up to that pretty quick and players will be pulling out of contests.
I'd be interested to know what the players think of this suspension and the overturn? I don't think many (or any) would want Cripps suspended for that. Particularly interested in Ah Chee's thoughts. Has he commented on it anywhere?

The speed in which things happen in the AFL is ridiculous these things will always happen, all you blokes will be after someone else next week, unless he plays for their own team.
Mate, it actually helps the Dockers that Cripps got off. Carlton now have a greater chance of winning one of their 2 final games which would mean a top 4 chance for us. What I am talking about with concussion has nothing to do with my team personally. It is something that just needs to change....and change now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, it actually helps the Dockers that Cripps got off. Carlton now have a greater chance of winning one of their 2 final games which would mean a top 4 chance for us. What I am talking about with concussion has nothing to do with my team personally. It is something that just needs to change....and change now.
We agree on that but the only way to stop it is change some rules, you can't rub a player out if he hasn't broken any rules.

AFL Release:

The AFL acknowledges and accepts the decision of the AFL Appeals Board in overturning the Tribunal’s decision to suspend Patrick Cripps of the Carlton Football Club.

As the Appeal Board Chairman commented last night, the case involved complexities and the AFL will closely review the Appeal Board’s detailed reasons for the decision that will be received in due course.

That said, the health and safety of our players at an elite and community level is of paramount importance and that priority will continue to inform the AFL’s ongoing work in taking action where health and safety is impacted or at risk.

Executive General Manager of Football, Andrew Dillon said it was far too early to say whether the decision would prompt any changes in the AFL’s regulations or Tribunal procedures, but the AFL would not shy away from taking such action if it was needed.

“The health and safety of our players is of paramount importance to the AFL and we will continue to evaluate and, where necessary, act to prioritise that objective in relation to the occurrence of concussion and other injuries in the playing of our game.” Mr Dillon said.

The problems here are:
1. You're assuming that he chose to bump. The vision says otherwise. He chose to contest a loose ball. There was contact as a result of that, which Cripps had a split second chance to brace for.
2. Ignoring the fact that it wasn't a mark, both players were airborne, attempting to catch the loose ball, in a realistic 50/50 contest. Cripps came from further back, was travelling faster as a result and jumped higher in an attempt to beat Ah Chee to the drop of the ball.
3. "You don't bump". Bumping is actually a legal part of the game. Tackling can also cause serious injury and/or concussion, so that is not a sure-fire way of preventing an injury.

If players start getting suspended for contesting the ball, they'll wise up to that pretty quick and players will be pulling out of contests.
I'd be interested to know what the players think of this suspension and the overturn? I don't think many (or any) would want Cripps suspended for that. Particularly interested in Ah Chee's thoughts. Has he commented on it anywhere?
The method that Cripps chose to contest that loose ball was to leave the ground. This was his undoing. Once that decision is made, safety for the opposing player is mitigated. I know AFL is a fast game but Cripps had options. He could have tackled Ah Chee front on. He did not have to leave the ground (particularly when he was the one without the ball).
I am sure players are injured in tackles, but do they have the potential to cause injury as harmful and as often as a bump? The bump is legal, but once you choose to do it, and it results in contact to the head of an opposition player, then you should be suspended - particularly if that player is concussed. For me, it's all pretty simple. Go as hard as you want in a contest, but the moment you choose to bump instead of tackle, you run the risk of being suspended if you make contact with the head. If you are contesting a loose ball instead of a marking contest, then you absolutely should be suspended when your contact results in concussion to the opposition player. (Regardless if you want to call it a bump, brace or whatever).

What is the world coming to when supposedly intelligent men spend five hours discussing what is a bump or not.

five hours is nothing. we have 67 pages here and 1600+ posts of (supposedly) grown adults arguing about it over the course of 6 days.

Thats right we had lawyers there.
Only profession except for politicians who can talk crap for three hours make no sense and get well paid.

pretty sure most of the aforementioned 1600+ posts would've been made during work hours.

AFL Release:

The AFL acknowledges and accepts the decision of the AFL Appeals Board in overturning the Tribunal’s decision to suspend Patrick Cripps of the Carlton Football Club.

As the Appeal Board Chairman commented last night, the case involved complexities and the AFL will closely review the Appeal Board’s detailed reasons for the decision that will be received in due course.

That said, the health and safety of our players at an elite and community level is of paramount importance and that priority will continue to inform the AFL’s ongoing work in taking action where health and safety is impacted or at risk.

Executive General Manager of Football, Andrew Dillon said it was far too early to say whether the decision would prompt any changes in the AFL’s regulations or Tribunal procedures, but the AFL would not shy away from taking such action if it was needed.

“The health and safety of our players is of paramount importance to the AFL and we will continue to evaluate and, where necessary, act to prioritise that objective in relation to the occurrence of concussion and other injuries in the playing of our game.” Mr Dillon said.
The AFL get their cake and eat it too. They would have been pissing themselves writing that media release.

Thanks bro, but i watch NFL, i know what i'm talking about. They still tackle with their head.

And Cripps “contests the ball” with his hip to an opponent’s head.

Are you arguing about the laws of the game/s, or individual players putting others at risk?

I've watched it more than a dozen times now, should have been a fine with points loading for careless contact and left at that. Couldnt see any intent from the available camera angles and Im not going to read back through 67 pages of conspiracy theories. Not a good outcome for Ah-chee having to miss a game though & hopefully no long term adverse effects from the bump.

People are so classy. Using social media to racially abuse the guy that did nothing wrong and got knocked out...

The method that Cripps chose to contest that loose ball was to leave the ground. This was his undoing. Once that decision is made, safety for the opposing player is mitigated. I know AFL is a fast game but Cripps had options. He could have tackled Ah Chee front on. He did not have to leave the ground (particularly when he was the one without the ball).
I am sure players are injured in tackles, but do they have the potential to cause injury as harmful and as often as a bump? The bump is legal, but once you choose to do it, and it results in contact to the head of an opposition player, then you should be suspended - particularly if that player is concussed. For me, it's all pretty simple. Go as hard as you want in a contest, but the moment you choose to bump instead of tackle, you run the risk of being suspended if you make contact with the head. If you are contesting a loose ball instead of a marking contest, then you absolutely should be suspended when your contact results in concussion to the opposition player. (Regardless if you want to call it a bump, brace or whatever).

You’re spot on. It’s an open and shut case when you simplify it. Unfortunately when you bring in all this legal argument, the old mates on the tribunal shit their pants and see something that isn’t there.

Hopefully it wasn’t any Carlton bias that has caused this monumental error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back