Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was Fyfe last year.

Dangerfield this year.

Treloar or Coniglio maybe in a couple of years.

Petracca after that.

Someone is always on track to be the GOAT at some stage. Put it together for the best part of a decade like Ablett did and then we will talk about this century, let alone the GOAT.

Obviously Dangerfield is a superstar but he's nowhere near Ablett when there is a big gap between their kicking.

Accumulation seems to still be the yardstick because it's an easy stat. Got 40 touches? Must have been BOG.

The big thing about Dangerfield is how he gets it though. He's a clearance, stoppage, hardball get beast. If he gets it 40 times he's absolutely dominated the inside play. It's very naive and simplistic to say people only look at stats. They don't at all. It's actually fashionable to knock actual accumulators like Rockliff right now.

I cannot believe the number of people buying this troll.

I wanted to say it was a shit OP but given the number of people swallowing it, it was clearly a stroke of genius.

Either that or your average BF poster is completely braindead.

Last edited:
Ablett 2010 averaged 31.5 disposals and kicked a lazy 44 goals

Matthews in 1977 averaged 28 disposals and kicked 91 goals.

Dangerfield almost became one of only 3 current players to have had 30 touches and kicked 5 goals in a game twice, but he only managed 4 goals in that game.

Matthews has done that 11 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not in the top 5 crows of all time. Have you actually watched him play? Great. Yes. But inconstant and sloppy. A sledgehammer of a player that needs a lot more class and a lot more great seasons to even be considered.

Modra, Macleod, Riccutio, Rhen and Jarman for those wondering.

867987-clive-waterhouse.jpg

Pfft, Landry was barely first string.

- All Australian
- MVP
- Coaches Award
- Best and Fairest
- Brownlow
- Premiership Player
- Norm Smith

These are his achievements in his first year as a Cat, and he is still only 26 years old!

I know the latter four haven't occured yet, but they're pretty much a formality.

Last night, he was presented with the MVP award, and he sent a shudder down the spines of all the other sides, by saying that he still has a lot of improvement left in his game.

His 48 disposal game against North Melbourne this year was the best game by a midfielder that I've seen since Gary Ablett Snr.

Before anyone shouts me down, yes it was a better game than any game ever played by Gary Ablett Jnr.

I really think that Paddy has all the tools to become the greatest player to have ever played the game.

Note that I say 'potential' in the thread title, and a lot of players don't fulfill their potential, see Jarrad Waite.

Do you think that Patrick Dangerfield could become the GOAT?

Adelaide really got screwed with the compensation they got for him :thumbsdown:

To think that Geelong could have signed him without giving up any draft picks, as he was a free agent.

The last 4 are a formality? Gee I'm glad someone's confident.

And to answer the op. No.

If footy was an individual sport like singles tennis where players just played 1v1 then sure, good argument that with all his ability he is one of a handful of players you could argue is the GOAT.

But I think he plays too selfishly in a team sport, too often trying to do too much by himself. If it's a choice between getting it to an "inferior" teammate in a better position or making a lower percentage play by himself then he seems to do the latter far more often.

Buddy Franklin was/is similar in this regard. At Hawthorn he would often burn his teammates to take a low percentage miracle shot. Which looked great on the highlight reels and added to his superstar aura while all the out of bounds on the fulls and behinds are forgotten.

In 2013 Hawthorn had a very dominant year and while the stats suggest Buddy had a quiet year by his lofty standards I reckon it was the more team oriented role and play by him that year that led to such a dominant year for Hawthorn and why the Hawks in 2014 remained strong after he left too.

The same thing can be observed with Adelaide this year.

He's a good player but is closer to being a goat than he is of being GOAT.

If footy was an individual sport like singles tennis where players just played 1v1 then sure, good argument that with all his ability he is one of a handful of players you could argue is the GOAT.

But I think he plays too selfishly in a team sport, too often trying to do too much by himself. If it's a choice between getting it to an "inferior" teammate in a better position or making a lower percentage play by himself then he seems to do the latter far more often.

Buddy Franklin was/is similar in this regard. At Hawthorn he would often burn his teammates to take a low percentage miracle shot. Which looked great on the highlight reels and added to his superstar aura while all the out of bounds on the fulls and behinds are forgotten.

In 2013 Hawthorn had a very dominant year and while the stats suggest Buddy had a quiet year by his lofty standards I reckon it was the more team oriented role and play by him that year that led to such a dominant year for Hawthorn and why the Hawks in 2014 remained strong after he left too.

The same thing can be observed with Adelaide this year.

He's a good player but is closer to being a goat than he is of being GOAT.

If you think he's selfish I'd hate to hear your thoughts on Rioli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Back