Pay-TV fury over finals

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24290204-19742,00.html

Fleur Leyden | September 04, 2008 12:00am

• TOMORROW'S Hawthorn-Bulldogs clash is at the centre of the second spat between the Seven Network and the pay-TV industry in a week.
Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association chief executive Debra Richards said sports fans in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth were being short-changed because Seven would delay its broadcast of the match by an hour. :mad:
The lobby group, which represents pay-TV companies such as Austar, Foxtel and Optus, said this, along with Seven's "roundly criticised" Olympic Games coverage, proved the Federal Government's anti-siphoning list - which blocks pay-TV access to more than 4700 sporting events in an Olympic year - should be slashed.
"Despite having the ability to broadcast the opening match of the AFL finals series live in these cities, the Seven Network has chosen not to do so, for reasons best known to them, instead offering sports fans Better Homes and Gardens and forcing them to wait," Ms Richards said. :eek:

Seven responded sharply yesterday, saying ASTRA had made "another carping, miserable observation".
"You'd reckon being a comfortable monopoly would be enough but they're still demanding that people pay for sports coverage they currently enjoy on free-to-air television," said Seven spokesman Simon Francis.
"That's a most un-Australian demand, especially for the seven out of 10 Australians who choose not to take up pay-television."
ASTRA last week took issue with Seven's Olympic Games coverage, saying the network, which held exclusive broadcast rights, failed to show live events such as pole vaulter Steve Hooker's gold medal win.
The group said legislative change was needed because the anti-siphoning list was "leaving sports fans waiting and wondering".
Ms Richards said all broadcasters should be able to compete for events not currently shown, which would foster competition for sports rights and aid in digital television take-up.

Not good enough i have Austar but for those who don't i would be peeved if i couldn't see it live!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

"That's a most un-Australian demand, especially for the seven out of 10 Australians who choose not to take up pay-television."

Seems to be everyones favourite catchphrase at the moment ;)

I'm in Perth, and am pretty disappointed that I'll be watching the delayed telecast of the game. I called channel 7 and let them know, but I'm sure they don't care.
:thumbsdown:

Typical whinge.

Pay TV industry having their regular complaint, making sure their 'rage' against the anti-siphoning laws remains in the forefront of peoples minds, and politicians too.

An hour is nothing, as long as games aren't delayed to unreasonable hours.

I have Pay TV, but I'm quite leery of letting too much sport being drained their way, mainstrean Aussie sport shouldn't only be available to those who will pay for it.

Typical whinge.

Pay TV industry having their regular complaint, making sure their 'rage' against the anti-siphoning laws remains in the forefront of peoples minds, and politicians too.

I have Pay TV, but I'm quite leery of letting too much sport being drained their way, mainstrean Aussie sport shouldn't only be available to those who will pay for it.

I dont have pay TV but I would rather go to a pub or a mates house and watch a game live then watch it home on channel seven delayed. What a joke that they have no commitment to showing anything live.

I called channel 10 to ask why the hawks game was delayed in Melbourne and live in Sydney and they actually couldn't give me an answer (I don't mean that couldn't give me a satisfactory answer they were as bewildered as me). They said someone would call me and they never did.

I think the best outcome is that things start to move the direction of pay TV becoming dominant in mainstream sports coverage and the networks wake up and get their acts together.

Given this is the first time Channel Seven are putting the Friday night game on directly against the NRL game on Nine in Sydney, I don't think its a completely unreasonable course of action.

Keep in mind the only reason Pay-TV is whingeing here is they want the legislation changed so they can buy exclusive access to all major sports events, which would mean those of us without Pay-TV could stop whingeing about one or two hour delays because we wouldn't see these events at all.

Be good for radio ratings!

I've got the same themed thread running over on the Dogs board.

Its OK for "7" to buy the rights, but it is not OK for "7" to buy the rights then sit on them for a delayed telecast. Sure they could have avoided going directly against the Rugby League in Sydney or Brisbane, but why not offer the final to Fox in those locations then.

To many other places seem to be missing out on a live feed around Australia that are in Aussie Rules areas. "7" is making a lot of our lives miserable.

From the post I raised on the dogs board on this

Seems to still be an issue between 7 and Fox

And 7 are only offering a delayed coverage (1 hour) starting at 8.30pm in most of NSW, prefering to show "Better Homes and Gardens" apparently.

Adelaide gets it live, it might have been a better week for a few of you to travel there than last week.

Most of Australia seems to miss though 7 & The AFL

Shame that even a final is going to be treated like this

And jam this up your arse Kerry Stokes

NHM, a TRUE fan would be on the first flight down from Maroochydoor..;), not watching the box.

I'm a fully paid up member based in Sydney (due to work) and have booked flights and accommodation for both prelim & GF. Considering scheduling for prelim is anyones guess total cost for me is over a thousand bucks to watch my beloved Hawks. I take offence that a TRUE fan would be there rather than watching the box Lyndhurst!

The fact that I have to wait an hour delay to watch the biggest game of the year (thus far) makes my blood boil! It's a disgrace

BTW - I've made 13 calls with different accents to channel 7 sydney complaining about the delay this morning. If that's not showing passion for the team then I don't know what a TRUE supporter is!

Anyone else in my position call seven sydney on (02) 8777 7777 TO LET THEM KNOW...

Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to whack another clause into the anti-siphoning legislation. Something to the effect that exclusive rights only exist if the event is to be televised live - if not, Pay TV can run a live broadcast against their delayed one. And that the FTA station that holds the rights has to state their intention x number of days before the event.

That way, the FTA station still has exclusive rights, but the onus is on them to do the right thing. Same applies to sold out games such as last weekend's one.

I think if that was the case, Seven might find themselves able to free up another timeslot for Better Homes and Gardens.

I'm also a true fan, we are a family of six and members, and have been for years.
I always ring CH7 and give them my views, did them same when CH9 held the rights, so much better off with CH10

Lyndurst, dearly love to hop on a plane from maroochy or brissy, but facts are, family of six + flights = lots of money.
We are happy to watch the game on telly, even at 8.30 (beats midnight games)

But just in case the car is already packed.

Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to whack another clause into the anti-siphoning legislation. Something to the effect that exclusive rights only exist if the event is to be televised live - if not, Pay TV can run a live broadcast against their delayed one. And that the FTA station that holds the rights has to state their intention x number of days before the event. .

I think that should only be for interstate, I wouldnt want to see the Major networks forced into showing (non-sellout) local games live. Other than that its a sound idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there's a ratings issue, why can't 7 and 10 show AFL games live on HD and delayed on the regular channel. I don't even have an HD TV, but it would allow anyone particularly keen on watching it live to get to one, and the people who aren't as bothered to watch it at the delayed time. This would maximize the audience as well.

NHM, a TRUE fan would be on the first flight down from Maroochydoor..;), not watching the box.
:eek: with work commitments & a mortgage to pay just cant make it lyndhurst!:p

I'm also a true fan, we are a family of six and members, and have been for years.
I always ring CH7 and give them my views, did them same when CH9 held the rights, so much better off with CH10

Lyndurst, dearly love to hop on a plane from maroochy or brissy, but facts are, family of six + flights = lots of money.
We are happy to watch the game on telly, even at 8.30 (beats midnight games)

But just in case the car is already packed.
Family of 6 as well mate it cost us over $1700 for the Brisbane game what a week end! it would cost me over $3000 for air fares accomatation might have to go AWOL mate & leave the 4 kids & wife at home!:D

Typical whinge.

**** that why should I living in a non football state have to wait an hour?

God I HATE Ch7 with a passion. When they lost the broadcasting rights I was stoked. We started getting SD widscreen broadcasts from 9 and 10. Ch7 gets it back and they are behind again with only SD broadcast. geez that Stokes is a tighta55.

Foxtel provide NSW viewers with live Friday night broadcast for the HA rounds. Then Ch7 stuffs it for the finals, stops foxtel broadcasting it live but then does a delayed broadcast so we can't see it live. Seven you suck:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mad:

God I HATE Ch7 with a passion. When they lost the broadcasting rights I was stoked. We started getting SD widscreen broadcasts from 9 and 10. Ch7 gets it back and they are behind again with only SD broadcast. geez that Stokes is a tighta55.

Foxtel provide NSW viewers with live Friday night broadcast for the HA rounds. Then Ch7 stuffs it for the finals, stops foxtel broadcasting it live but then does a delayed broadcast so we can't see it live. Seven you suck:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mad:

I agree completely mate.

C7 are Carmichael Hunts.

The only saving grace is that dill Sandy Roberts isn't boring us to tears every 3 seconds.

But then, the saving grace is erased when you consider:

• "Dynamic" Boundary Riders,
  • Taking the personality out of the call (heard on most radio calls, and anytime C9 have / had a game),
  • Missing the team songs,
  • Etc, etc

Where is SBS when you need them.

Channel 7 has run 2x episodes of home & away tonight in melb.
they usually only do this when they are going to show something live the next night that clashes with the H&A time slot

If they are doing the same in Syd you may now get live coverage too?

The other option was that they showed the game live on 518 (Main Event) Fox.

That probably would have happened if the game was on channel 10 but because Kerry Stokes and Channel 7 are still peeved about what happened to C7 Sports years ago.

That will not happen.:thumbsdown:

The other option was that they showed the game live on 518 (Main Event) Fox.

That probably would have happened if the game was on channel 10 but because Kerry Stokes and Channel 7 are still peeved about what happened to C7 Sports years ago.

That will not happen.:thumbsdown:

From what I understand it is on Main Event for QLD and NSW, but I haven't had any confirmation. I downloaded the AFL schedule from the Main Event website and it simply just lists Fri Sept 4th as "Standby AFL".

I hope like hell it's bloody on because there's no way I'm putting up with a fricken 1 hour delay.

From what I understand it is on Main Event for QLD and NSW, but I haven't had any confirmation. I downloaded the AFL schedule from the Main Event website and it simply just lists Fri Sept 4th as "Standby AFL".

I hope like hell it's bloody on because there's no way I'm putting up with a fricken 1 hour delay.

I hope so because the AFL site says Fox at 11.30pm

Another place to list complaint

http://www.pm.gov.au/contact/index.cfm

Use the above link to contact

I hope so because the AFL site says Fox at 11.30pm

Main Event, from memory, never shows up on the AFL Broadcast guide, it's got me a few times this year. I get pissed off not seeing it listed as Live on TV, then it dawns on me that's it's probably on Main Event (which it has been 99% of the time). What worries me though it may be different for the finals. I guess we'll find out soon enough.....but I want to know now! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Pay-TV fury over finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back