2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question. I just saw on Peels social media that Delean and Murphy are playing ressies. I don’t follow Peel closely so was just wondering why AFL listed players are playing wafl ressies. It’s not a great comp so are they both a mile off AFL standard?
The selection rules put maximums on how many Freo players can play for Peel depending on how many are available. I think these are the up-to-date ones, at least for the home-and-away season (Page 121 of WAFL rules and regulations 2024 - https://wafooty.com.au/download/d/JO5YTxKR8PAfvsmAEiIjyDka2AevCO_V_j9ji1v8axA).
Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 4.47.40 pm.png
We have 16 players - 13 playing league and 3 playing reserves, so it's something that would've needed to happen regardless of their quality.

But regarding the 3 (Williams, Murphy and Delean)
  • Murphy's coming off a 2 month-ish injury and played league all season pre-injury. He's our worst key back, but at least at the WAFL level he's still good enough. Quickness an issue at higher levels, but tall enough to become aerially dominant enough to make it work.
  • Williams should probably be delisted for 1 of the Irish guys that came over. Haven't seen a whole lot of him, but the stats at WAFL Reserves level make it look like that's his level. There's natural ability there, but the body is 2 years away from being 2 years away.
  • Delean has probably never encountered a possession that wasn't there to shoot. Very shot hungry and has a scent for the spectacular, but goes very quiet at Seniors level. Reserves probably where he belongs to hone his craft (he's gone 5.11 from 3 games there). Also has issues with quickness, which puts you behind the 8-ball as a small fwd.

Did Erasmus travel to Sydney?
No. Playing for Peel.
Surely if you’re afl listed u play ahead of wafl listed players regardless of position. What about Murphy?
Delean isn't as good as Walters, Emmett or Wilson. The other small forwards from the Peel region are doing a better job than Delean has been in recent times.
Murphy I would like to see back in league side asap but between the quota and who he is competing against, Oscar MacDonald and Davies, it may be difficult without injury or poor form. Knobel is the one who should always play league but Reidy would get chosen as first ruck in for Freo's Afl side, so he take precedence.

Genuine question. I just saw on Peels social media that Delean and Murphy are playing ressies. I don’t follow Peel closely so was just wondering why AFL listed players are playing wafl ressies. It’s not a great comp so are they both a mile off AFL standard?
Delean has played quite a few reserves games. He came back last week to league and collected 4 possessions. He got 1 cheap goal where everyone fell over and left the ball behind. He is young but reserves is about his level from what I’ve seen.

Murphy started the season in reserves but got promoted did ok suffered injury came back did quite well and then suffered an abdominal injury. Probably missed the last 6 weeks or thereabouts.

Oscar McDonald and Walters at Peel. But from what I’ve seen not just last week and many weeks before Delean should be at reserves regardless of Walters.

I like what I’ve seen from Murphy. Just can’t squeeze them all in. He and Odin Jones are good for League but if numbers don’t allow they will play reserves. The comments about his speed are a reasonable call but his mobility is quite good.

Good to see Oscar McDonald's twin "Osacr" is getting a gig

No. Playing for Peel.

Delean isn't as good as Walters, Emmett or Wilson. The other small forwards from the Peel region are doing a better job than Delean has been in recent times.
Murphy I would like to see back in league side asap but between the quota and who he is competing against, Oscar MacDonald and Davies, it may be difficult without injury or poor form. Knobel is the one who should always play league but Reidy would get chosen as first ruck in for Freo's Afl side, so he take precedence.

McDonald and Murphy are both coming back. Unless we could somehow get the WAFL to approve both player 50% and going in with an extra player as a result it really isn’t fair to Peel to play both. It isn’t fair to play one but if doesn’t decrease their chances of winning as much as two players on limited minutes. The alignment ultimately works for Freo by doing the best for their player’s development but for Peel by giving the. A chance to win - both need to be compromises there but if either makes too many the alignment probably isn’t really working tbh.

Brodie to get 40 possies while not being good enough to be a sub for Freo as our subs have no impact on the game.

I think the match committee forgot the game he was suggesting against gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Ice in his veins", apart from being an overused expression, physiologically wouldn't it lead to certain death? Anyway the commentator just used it for the dude that kicked Swans 1st goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back