2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly better? Maybe I'm still on the Stanley coolaid but his decision making and disposal is about as far ahead of Sharps as Sharps tank is to him IMO.
Sharp is embarrassingly clear of whoever's 2nd in the club in running, and Stanley isn't 2nd.

I also think the last few weeks in particular have made people exaggerate Sharp's problems in disposal and decision making. It wasn't too long ago that people were raving about his disposal being clearly better than Acres' (low bar but still). No doubt it needs improvement, and his delivery quality relies a bit too much on what the fwds are doing. But unless Stanley's kicking is David Mundy-esque, I don't think the gap is as big as the running gap.

Sharp is embarrassingly clear of whoever's 2nd in the club in running, and Stanley isn't 2nd.

I also think the last few weeks in particular have made people exaggerate Sharp's problems in disposal and decision making. It wasn't too long ago that people were raving about his disposal being clearly better than Acres' (low bar but still). No doubt it needs improvement, and his delivery quality relies a bit too much on what the fwds are doing. But unless Stanley's kicking is David Mundy-esque, I don't think the gap is as big as the running gap.
I think Stanley's disposal and decision making is genuinely very very good and we saw it in his brief time at AFL and most weeks at Peel. I think Sharps disposal is quite bad and always have but it's masked by the nature of his role. I stand by my opinion with a bit of leeway here or there

I think Stanley's disposal and decision making is genuinely very very good and we saw it in his brief time at AFL and most weeks at Peel. I think Sharps disposal is quite bad and always have but it's masked by the nature of his role. I stand by my opinion with a bit of leeway here or there
I should clarify because you raised a fair point about the role masking his kicking: I'm talking about relative to the role's requirements. Like a genuine huge weakness I assume Sharp has is he doesn't have a left foot. At least I'm pretty sure he doesn't: idk if I've seen him take a left footed kick this season.

If he was an inside mid that'd be a huge problem, and even currently in congestion you see that to an extent (first kick yesterday he did that weird snap i50, and towards the end of the game he had an admittedly really good play where he got around 2 GWS players on the wing and squeezed a kick to Clark, but he shouldn't have been in that much trouble in the first place). His role + his speed means it's not a huge issue and I don't think has been talked about as much as Banfield's non-right foot. But even still he should work on that.

Stanley’s best bet is to replace JOM/Banfield on the congested wing now we are developing NOD as an inside Mid.
Spot on great call, Stanley needs another preseason and a good run from injury to show his true potential and is a keeper

Noddy should rotate with Youngy through the centre bounce (my opinion he is better than Johnson has shown)

I think you all harbouring little bit too much optimism in thinking in Stanley can push for a wing role at AFL in anything under 2 more pre seasons

I know he’s started late to semi pro footy so never had proper pre season etc but as a mature ager he doesn’t really get the luxury and he’s certainly not that special that you keep the bloke around for 2/3 more years trying to build up his tank just so he can possibly play wing

We already have better immediate options anyway

I actually think his best hope and is in fact that relays to his strengths is attacking hbf.
We also need coverage their soon so thst certainly could help his cause

That said I’m certainly not going to lose sleep if he is delisted and I’d still like wallsy to take 3 picks at this years draft so with list squeeze I’m struggling to see who else gets boned ahead of him outside the obvious ones

EP vs Peel game is for top spot this Saturday 2:40pm start at Leederville Oval. It's also the Channel 7 broadcast game.

The team that finishes 1st has a week off, which coincides with the AFL "bye" week before the finals.

Obviously, Peel will try and win, but If Freo had already qualified for the AFL finals, the better scenario might be if Peel were playing in the 1st week of WAFL finals so as players like McDonald, maybe Darcy, could get some game time, and some others get some continuity.

EP vs Peel game is for top spot this Saturday 2:40pm start at Leederville Oval. It's also the Channel 7 broadcast game.

The team that finishes 1st has a week off, which coincides with the AFL "bye" week before the finals.

Obviously, Peel will try and win, but If Freo had already qualified for the AFL finals, the better scenario might be if Peel were playing in the 1st week of WAFL finals so as players like McDonald, maybe Darcy, could get some game time, and some others get some continuity.
Feels win-win to me.

I think you all harbouring little bit too much optimism in thinking in Stanley can push for a wing role at AFL in anything under 2 more pre seasons

I know he’s started late to semi pro footy so never had proper pre season etc but as a mature ager he doesn’t really get the luxury and he’s certainly not that special that you keep the bloke around for 2/3 more years trying to build up his tank just so he can possibly play wing

We already have better immediate options anyway

I actually think his best hope and is in fact that relays to his strengths is attacking hbf.
We also need coverage their soon so thst certainly could help his cause

That said I’m certainly not going to lose sleep if he is delisted and I’d still like wallsy to take 3 picks at this years draft so with list squeeze I’m struggling to see who else gets boned ahead of him outside the obvious ones

I think Stanley will be delisted.

Not having a power contested marking target up the line heavily contributes to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm designated co-chief Stanley booster but watching him over the last couple of months has me thinking on balance it's less likely he makes it than does. It's not just that his tank that's a problem: I've seen him struggle to get past WAFL defenders when he doesn't have room and struggle to stop them defensively going the other way. Core strength and sideways movement might just not be to standard unfortunately.

I think it was two games ago or so and I was watching and the thought "Stanley is basically the answer to question 'What if Brett Bewley was a bit faster with a longer peg?'". Hopefully it's just my ill omened OCD comparison that has me down on Ethan now, and I'm wrong.

The issue with Stanley is that he was coming from a long way back already. Something like ammos to debut in less than a year. He needed a big pre-season to work up to AFL standard but he's had too many recurrent injuries to get much continuity and build fitness.

I really liked what I saw from him last year but if we're tight on list spots I can't see him surviving.

I should clarify because you raised a fair point about the role masking his kicking: I'm talking about relative to the role's requirements. Like a genuine huge weakness I assume Sharp has is he doesn't have a left foot. At least I'm pretty sure he doesn't: idk if I've seen him take a left footed kick this season.

If he was an inside mid that'd be a huge problem, and even currently in congestion you see that to an extent (first kick yesterday he did that weird snap i50, and towards the end of the game he had an admittedly really good play where he got around 2 GWS players on the wing and squeezed a kick to Clark, but he shouldn't have been in that much trouble in the first place). His role + his speed means it's not a huge issue and I don't think has been talked about as much as Banfield's non-right foot. But even still he should work on that.

Sharp doesn't have a right foot either. His kicking is terrible. It's decent at goals where the objective is much more simple. But his kicking to team mates is shocking.

He does make up for it with his running ability though. He's similair to Langdon in that way.

I miss the olden day skilful wingers like Stephen Hill. Now some of the better wingers are langdon, sharp and acres, who even with all the space of the wing are bomb it long merchant's and love an out on the full.

Sharp doesn't have a right foot either. His kicking is terrible. It's decent at goals where the objective is much more simple. But his kicking to team mates is shocking.

He does make up for it with his running ability though. He's similair to Langdon in that way.

I miss the olden day skilful wingers like Stephen Hill. Now some of the better wingers are langdon, sharp and acres, who even with all the space of the wing are bomb it long merchant's and love an out on the full.
Agree. I like Sharp and sometimes we need to clear the defensive to relieve the pressure. However, sometimes he has blazed away at goal and burned his team mates who were clear. Think there was one on the weekend Freddy was in the goal square alone but he went for goal.

The issue with Stanley is that he was coming from a long way back already. Something like ammos to debut in less than a year. He needed a big pre-season to work up to AFL standard but he's had too many recurrent injuries to get much continuity and build fitness.

I really liked what I saw from him last year but if we're tight on list spots I can't see him surviving.
Lets see how he goes in the finals, up to him to produce the goods

PS/ have to give a big tick of approval to Ethan Hughes on his application and intent with Peel over the past two months

Given what we've seen from 3 pretty amazing league games, do we think with another preseason, Knobel could fill in for the inevitable Darcy injuries as soon as next year?
If he can improve his tank to overtake Reidy, absolutely, the one knock on Reidy from last week was he seemed to fade in the 4th, which hasn’t been an issue at WAFL level.

Oscar Mcdonald out?

edit: Nope, they stuffed up teamsheets again lol, done it a lot this year

Out: Oscar McDonald
In: Osacr McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back